Ortleib or ...?

spork

Ortleib or ...?

Postby spork » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:11 pm

I need to lug a bit of stuff around with me for work - having 2 jobs and regularly see a client for the second job on the way home from the first almost doubles the amount of stuff I need to carry.
I don't know if any of the "trunk bags" will be big enough, and I'm not a fan of backpacks on bicycles.
So - I'm looking for a set of panniers. (One large one would probably do - but I want to be able to stop and get groceries etc on the way home too).
It looks like Ortlieb are the ducks guts and I'm happy enough to pay that price if I need to - but figured I'd ask about alternatives before I pull the trigger.

Waterproof would be good - although I can always use bin liners if I need to.
High-vis would be a big plus.
Secure and easy fitting / removable OR lockable is a must if I have to leave my bike anywhere unattended with panniers attached.
Expandable (or collapsible?) would be a bonus - maybe something like the Brooks one that can roll up when not in use?

I'm open to suggestions. :D

brumby33

Re: Ortleib or ...?

Postby brumby33 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 pm

G'day Spork,

Yeah mate, don't think you can go wrong with Ortlieb, they are very durable, very waterproof and very roomy, I have a set of Ortleib backroller classic rear panniers that I bought slightly used back in 2005 and they are still going strong, no holes, no worn bits and the clips at the back are still sturdy.
https://www.catch.com.au/product/ortlie ... ccessories

These ones come in a few colours, for safety you can go with either yellow or red or orange. hold 40 litre for a pair and if you need to pick up some veggies on the way home, theres no problem riding with them opened up.

Personally I wouldn't go past Ortlieb panniers, mine are permanently on my bike.

But here are a few other alternatives you may consider, I've heard but not experienced Vaude Bags are pretty good too but check them out https://www.this link is broken.au/cycle/pannier-bags/

As for a rear rack if you don't already have one, i'd go a good sturdy one like a Tubus rack, but I've also found my Top peak rack is pretty solid too and if you don't have fenders on your bike, then the top peak has a built-in spray guard .....I like this one reasonable cost too
https://www.this link is broken.au/topeak-super- ... 5155212592

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:11 pm

Vaude Aqua panniers are almost identical to Ortlieb.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Another vote for Vaude. I have both Ortlieb and the Vaude linked below. Both are excellent quality with the Vaude getting bonus points for price and shipping availability to Aus.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... %7C2%7C%7C

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:32 am

Leaf T wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 pm
Another vote for Vaude. I have both Ortlieb and the Vaude linked below. Both are excellent quality with the Vaude getting bonus points for price and shipping availability to Aus.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... %7C2%7C%7C
leaf T, you might want to check your link again as when I did, I got this message

Sorry,
Vaude Aqua Deluxe Back Single Bike Pannier (1 piece) - wood/black

is unfortunately not available anymore.
Please have a look on some of the displayed alternatives.
Product Overview Handle Bar & Rack Packs

Plenty of Ortleib stuff but they aren't available to be shipped to Australia (I'm guessing to distributor rights)

I think now when buying from an overseas business and getting it shipped here, you have to pay a GST value now, it's probably not much for those bags but it's still extra you have to dish out, I'd rather buy from an Australian site or a bricks n mortar business. I have no doubt that many of the O/seas business are ethical, I'm sure most are but keep in mind that we are not protected under consumer laws in Australia if things go pair shaped. It's not always just about saving a few bucks...but that's just me I guess.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:40 am

I bought a pair of Tioga pannier bags for just under $60. They are not as good as Ortlieb, but I commute with them every day and they have lasted 3.5 years with no real wear and tear.

I think that they are a valid cheaper option.

I was a bit worried when I got them because they claim to be shower-proof, rather than completely waterproof. However - and they really should have spelled this out better - while the bags are only shower proof, they come with built in rain covers. The sort that you find built into backpacks, that look like an old-fashioned shower cap. With those on, they are waterproof.

spork

Postby spork » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
The Vaude ones I could find weren't that much cheaper then the Ortleib - so I went with the back roller plus, for $209 delivered from an Aussie shop on ebay.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:08 am

spork wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 pm
The Vaude ones I could find weren't that much cheaper then the Ortleib - so I went with the back roller plus, for $209 delivered from an Aussie shop on ebay.
Good choice Spork, these bags were designed for round the world touring so like mine, you should still be using the same bag 12 or more years down the track.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Cheap it ain't... but I love my Arkel Shopper. https://www.arkel-od.com/shopper-foldable/ (give Greenspeed in Melb a ring - they have Arkel gear locally)

It manages light showers fine without a cover. Pull the drawstring tight and high so water doesn't pool, put the flap over the hole, and it is dry in light rain but more than that you want some kind of cover.
It was bone dry in a massive rainstorm (30 mm in 30 min) with a really really light cover off an old T7 racktop bag that sort of fits it. Pulled it tight enough that the rain didn't pool to get inside the drawstring hole and it laughed at the weather. These days I use a backpack cover I got at Ride To Work Day last year.

This thing is cavernous! Clothes, shoes, laptop, 2litre Bag of Things, then a loaf of bread and a 6pack on the way home. Just keep shovelling stuff in. Eg 6 pack of loo rolls, 2kg apples, and a couple of bottles of tonic water and room over. I have had it jump off once because I didn't sit it on the rack rail properly. Otherwise it stays on over pretty nasty bumps on my 120psi 20" tyre trike which really tests anything you attach to it.

Shoulderstrap does the job you want it to do, the little flap folds over the hardware and you don't notice those when you carry it. Full and up 2 flights of stairs it is an easy carry.

It replaced an older version of the Arkel Utility which did sterling duty for many years in all weather. The shopper is bigger, uglier, and more useful.

BudT

Postby BudT » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:54 am

Ortlieb panniers are great if you want to go that route. I find the QL3 attachment system to work well and have good adjustability to avoid heel striking.

gdb

Postby gdb » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:25 pm

I've got the ortlieb classic, purchased in 2014 and no issues at all, Purchased a pair of them however i just use one (the same one has been used for 6 years). The other one of the pair just sits in my storage cage and is basically new. Never had an issue with water ingress and regularly carry my work laptops to/from work along with a bunch of other stuff
https://www.ortlieb.com/usa/back-roller-classic/+F5304

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 pm

spork wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 pm
Dang, Velogear have them for 199 delivered, and if you sign up for emails you get $10 off your first order. Every now and again they do 10% off as well.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:13 pm

We bougt some ortleib bags for the wife after her beloved basil panniers died. Very impressed so far.

tgdavies

Postby tgdavies » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:02 pm

I have Tioga panniers which have performed well. When I bought the they were about half the price of Ortliebs, c. $100 vs c. $200. They are waterproof (they are silver and aged 'DRY 100% waterproof'). There were also some cheaper Tiogas which didn't look waterproof (mentioned above in this thread I think).

BritniPepper

Postby BritniPepper » Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am

I have a pair of Tiogas that have served well for years and years. I see that they have been rebranded Azur, so that indicates the vintage, I guess. When did that happen?

ImageMy Merida by Britni Pepper, on Flickr

They work as a pair. I have probably not got them set up with the straps and loops as best as they could be but they hang onto my rack securely and carry a full grocery bag each along with other bits. Often cameras, tripod and extra clothing.

I should write a story about some of my adventures.

Well, cycling adventures, I mean.

This one was a little driving and a lot of scrambling!

Britni

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:07 pm

BritniPepper wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am
I see that they have been rebranded Azur, so that indicates the vintage, I guess.

Like a lot of stuff these days, the product is mass produced in one place then sold under various brand names. I usually get Azur lights as they're cheap and do the job, but I've seen the same lights from other brands.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon May 31, 2021 3:25 pm

BritniPepper wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am
I have a pair of Tiogas that have served well for years and years. I see that they have been rebranded Azur, so that indicates the vintage, I guess. When did that happen?

ImageMy Merida by Britni Pepper, on Flickr

They work as a pair. I have probably not got them set up with the straps and loops as best as they could be but they hang onto my rack securely and carry a full grocery bag each along with other bits. Often cameras, tripod and extra clothing.

I should write a story about some of my adventures.

Well, cycling adventures, I mean.

This one was a little driving and a lot of scrambling!

Britni
Exactly the same as the ones I mentioned above, back in November 2019. They have the pullout rain covers which are very effective.

BritniPepper

Postby BritniPepper » Mon May 31, 2021 3:35 pm

RobertL wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:25 pm
Exactly the same as the ones I mentioned above, back in November 2019. They have the pullout rain covers which are very effective.
Yes. They have their own little zipped up compartment tucked away and the covers are brightly-coloured as well as waterproof. A neat piece of design.
There's a shot here.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:42 am

I've resurrected my old Tioga rack (22 years old) and have installed it on my flat bar hybrid for commuting when I start a new job in a few weeks. Pannier technology has obviously changed in those 22 years, but from what I've read online the Ortlieb attachment systems work with any standard type of rack from any brand - is that correct? I'll only be using panniers on this bike so I'm thinking that the Ortlieb fitting that you attach permanently to the rack might be the way to go, and then if I buy Ortleib panniers they will just clip on and off simply and quickly. Just trying to test my understanding and thinking.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:51 am

There are inserts you can put into the Ortlieb clips to work with narrower profiles: https://www.pushys.com.au/ortlieb-ql2-r ... lsrc=aw.ds

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:05 am

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:51 am
There are inserts you can put into the Ortlieb clips to work with narrower profiles: https://www.pushys.com.au/ortlieb-ql2-r ... lsrc=aw.ds
This is the rack attachment I had in mind, so I could use the QL3.1 panniers - https://www.ortlieb.com/en_us/ql3-1-mounting-set

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 am

Silly me - I bought a back roller pannier bag and an urban commuter bag, but didn't realise the bags already come with the QL3.1 rack attachment mounts included, so at the same time I ordered the bags I bought two mounting kits. So, I have two brand new unopened QL3.1 mounting kits available if anyone needs one - stock must be low in Australia, since I had to hunt around to find the last one in stock at Pushys and bought the other one from Commuter Cycles.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:40 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 am
Silly me - I bought a back roller pannier bag and an urban commuter bag, but didn't realise the bags already come with the QL3.1 rack attachment mounts included, so at the same time I ordered the bags I bought two mounting kits. So, I have two brand new unopened QL3.1 mounting kits available if anyone needs one - stock must be low in Australia, since I had to hunt around to find the last one in stock at Pushys and bought the other one from Commuter Cycles.
Hmmm, well I was wondering why you made your previous posts - now I get it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...