Sram service

Aussie Owe

Sram service

Postby Aussie Owe » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:01 pm

Can any one recommend a Sram ( not electronic) service place for me please. I am tired of my gear not being fixed up 100% by bike service places that are not competent with sram gears
TIA

trailgumby

Re: Sram service

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:28 pm

Aussie Owe wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:01 pm
Can any one recommend a Sram ( not electronic) service place for me please. I am tired of my gear not being fixed up 100% by bike service places that are not competent with sram gears
TIA
How long since you last replaced cables and outers? if contaminated, no amount of wrenching is going to get you a good result.

These should be replaced as part of a full service, but if you have instead just requested they tune the gears, you're leaving yourself open.

Gear tuning isn't hard, even when SRAM is involved. SRAM brakes on the other hand...

Aussie Owe

Postby Aussie Owe » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:34 pm

I have had gears and breaks done recently ( melbourne) but I notice the back wheel doesnt spin freely when I hand spin it , which i think it should do and gears make a noise whilst riding , and hard to get front gear to stay in large cog. All these has been attended to by my local bike shop recently

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:58 pm

Queue Duck saying that is pretty standard for SRAM :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:04 am

trailgumby wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:28 pm
Aussie Owe wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:01 pm
TIA
How long since you last replaced cables and outers? if contaminated, no amount of wrenching is going to get you a good result.

These should be replaced as part of a full service, but if you have instead just requested they tune the gears, you're leaving yourself open.

Gear tuning isn't hard, even when SRAM is involved. SRAM brakes on the other hand...
SRAM rim brakes are painful to keep them on centre, but the mechanical gearing should be fairly normal. I'm not a proper bike mechanic and even I could manage it. The suggestions of replacing cables and outers is a good one too.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Aussie Owe wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:34 pm
I have had gears and breaks done recently ( melbourne) but I notice the back wheel doesnt spin freely when I hand spin it , which i think it should do and gears make a noise whilst riding , and hard to get front gear to stay in large cog.
Home mechanic with experience with SRAM, Shimano, Campagnolo and Microshift. The is no real difference in tuning them to shift correctly.

Rear wheel not spinning freely, is it because the rim brakes rub against the wheel because the wheel is not true? Or in the case of disk brakes the rotor rubs because the rotor is not true? Or is it because nothing is rubbing and the wheel bearings are stuffed?

In my experience, the chain dropping from the big chain ring usually occurs if you are riding in the largest cogs in the rear cassette it will also be very noisy. Yes you can adjust your front derailleur and even chain length to reduce this problem, but there are consequences at the other end of the cassette, so try and avoid riding in the big and big.

Other reasons for a noisy drivetrain: worn chain and/or cassette, unlubed chain and cracked jockey wheels (happens too often for me with SRAM)

A competent mechanic should spot most of them (except the big big riding), but a busy day and a minor problem could easily be missed.

If it only happen in the last week or so, pick up the phone, give them a call and explain the issues. See what they will do.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:39 pm

Aussie Owe wrote:
I have had gears and breaks done....
I hope you meant "brakes" and nd not "breaks", they are VERY different words! Breaks are usually uneconomical to fix, because the part is broken.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:48 am

Duck! wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:39 pm
Aussie Owe wrote:
I have had gears and breaks done....
I hope you meant "brakes" and nd not "breaks", they are VERY different words! Breaks are usually uneconomical to fix, because the part is broken.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:20 am

I was having trouble with my (Sram red) front derailleur staying in the big ring and was cursing my mechanic when I thought he wasn't adjusting it correctly.. he had also replaced the cables not long ago.. after more poor shifting it stopped altogether and turned out the shifter was completely buggered and required replacing.
How old is your groupset?