First MTB Heavy Rider Suggestions

101mtb101

First MTB Heavy Rider Suggestions

Postby 101mtb101 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi guys just made an account to ask for suggestions for a new MTB for heavy rider. I am around 190kg atm and am looking at getting into mountain biking to lose weight, my aim at first is to just ride trails till i lose a bit then maybe branch out to tracks once I'm lighter. I went into a bike shop near me and they recommended a Norco Storm 3 or 4. Am looking at around a $600 - 1100 budget hopefully that price range would get a MTB that can last a while at my current weight, am not going to be doing any jumps or drops on it. Do you's have any other suggestions or insights on the Norco Storms. Thanks

Andy01

Re: First MTB Heavy Rider Suggestions

Postby Andy01 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:08 am

You obviously went to a 99Bikes.

I had a 2018 Storm 3 (until it was written off going head-on with a SUV a few months ago). I didn't have any major issues with it but it is just a run-of-the-mill cheap-ish MTB. I was only 76kg at my heaviest though (currently 63kg).

There is nothing special about it, and certainly nothing (that I am aware of) that makes it particularly "load-worthy".

I am no expert by any means but this question pops up every few weeks here (also look in the buying a bike & general discussion forums) and the reply is almost always about the wheels. Generally the recommendation is to get a good solid aluminium or steel framed hardtail MTB (preferably from a more reputable brand like Giant - maybe Giant Talon ?), and find a wheel builder to build some custom wheels with a high spoke count.

Most bikes seem to be rated for around 130-135kg of total load (including the bike weight, which is usually around 15kg), and from what I have read it is almost always the spokes that start breaking first under heavy loads. So having more spokes per wheel increases the load carrying capability.

Good luck.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:16 am

This thread and a link in it to another thread may help.

Bike for 180kg+ rider?

Getfitgordon

Postby Getfitgordon » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:03 pm

Hi Andy01
I'm in a similar situation, did you find a bike suitable. I'm 200cm so looking at an XL or XXL frame.
Thanks

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 am

Getfitgordon wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:03 pm
Hi Andy01
I'm in a similar situation, did you find a bike suitable. I'm 200cm so looking at an XL or XXL frame.
Thanks
Gordon
I am only 165cm and 64kg, so I have never been in the situation of looking for a bike rated for a heavier/larger rider (quite the opposite). I just replied to the OP (who never returned after the one post, so maybe he didn't like my reply :lol: ). I bought a Giant Roam 1 to replace my Norco and I am very happy with it.

This time of year is a bit difficult (at least the last couple of years) because current year's (2022) stock is very limited and the new 2023 bikes are probably 2-3 months away - at least that was the case last year.

There has been a number of threads in the various forums (look in general discussion & buying bike bits forums) about larger / heavier riders. This MTB forum doesn't get a lot of traffic.