Buying an Gravel e-bike with Front Suspension - hard....

WyvernRH

Buying an Gravel e-bike with Front Suspension - hard....

Postby WyvernRH » Fri May 20, 2022 1:17 pm

Hope this is the right place to post this...
So, after milling around the edges of the e-bike world and trying out various options I have decided what I want is a light(er) weight e-bike that can cope with gravel roads/tracks -I really don't need a dual suspension e-MTB monster. However front suspension would be nice....
So an e-Gravel bike with front suspension and drop bars shouldn't be too hard? But wait this is Australia! The possibly in-Oz choice appears to be limited to the Cannondale Topstone NEO Lefty with a Bosch motor or a Focus Raven II with a Fazua drive (flat bars but..)

Providentially, a Cannondale Topstone NEO Lefty e-Gravel bike showed up in the local bikeshop but... it is a Small, I need a Medium. No probs I 'll contact the importers! They then denied having ever imported that model (despite the bike having their sticker on the seat tube...)
The Focus importers admitted to importing a few e-Ravens (there's no demand you know) but currently had an empty warehouse.

So.... I'm after more info which is proving hard to get from the Web.
1) Do any other manufacturers make an e-Gravel bike with front suspension? (Canyon?)
2) Are any of them being imported to Australia? If so who by?
3) What dealer might have one? I'm willing to order and wait if I can find a dealer.
4) I really like that Cannondale. Has anyone seen one in a bike shop somewhere on the East Coast or know who might order me one?

Newcastle is the nearest big town and getting any of the bike shops in the Hunter to admit they sell Cannondales, let alone e-Cannondales has proven problematical - responses range from 'No' to 'Dunno' and best of all, 'Who's Cannondale' ? Maybe I need to try the big smoke....

Very frustrating...maybe I have to wait til next season when the Euro/USA models filter down to Oz.

Richard

RonK

Re: Buying an Gravel e-bike with Front Suspension - hard....

Postby RonK » Fri May 20, 2022 2:07 pm

While there are e-gravel bikes, and gravel bikes with suspension, I'm not aware of any that have both features.

Your best bet is probably to choose an e-gravel bike and then upgrade the fork.

The Orbea Gain M30 is listed on a number of Australian sites.

The top spec Canyon gravel bike uses this one:

https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-rudy-ult-a1
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 20, 2022 2:44 pm

Two Wheel Industries on Hunter Street had a couple of Cannondales in the window when I peered in their front window around 10pm Monday 9th of May. One looked like a customer bike in for service, the other was definitely a new bike for sale.

I'm currently looking for a Cannondale disc braked anything road bike in a 58cm frame. The supply chain is in such a mess that nobody knows anything on likely delivery time frames for any brand it seems.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri May 20, 2022 2:53 pm

RonK wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:07 pm
While there are e-gravel bikes, and gravel bikes with suspension, I'm not aware of any that have both features.

Your best bet is probably to choose an e-gravel bike and then upgrade the fork.
A good point but I did a little investigation there and you veer off into a whole new world of compatibility hurt depending on the bike make and fitted equipment (frame/fork fit, fork trail, headsets, brake calipers, front hubs...) Still - it is a valid option and I'm looking into what that might entail.

Suspended e-Gravel bikes do exist tho some are pushed as 'light' e-MTBs (ie the Focus Raven). Also Cannondale make this:
https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/ele ... suspension
Which fits my requirements exactly but even the importers deny the existence of this bike in Oz, even tho I've eyeballed a couple in the Lower Hunter :-)

Other front suspension e-Gravel models do exist, in the UK at least - flagged as 'the next big thing' so maybe I just have to be patient and wait.... I'm hoping for something from Canyon...

Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri May 20, 2022 2:55 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:44 pm
Two Wheel Industries on Hunter Street had a couple of Cannondales in the window when I peered in their front window around 10pm Monday 9th of May.
That's interesting, they were the 'Dunno' answer when I asked if they dealt with Cannondale on the phone..... Might need a little better customer interface training :-) I'll drop in for a chat next time I'm in Newy.

Richard

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 20, 2022 4:49 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:55 pm
trailgumby wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:44 pm
Two Wheel Industries on Hunter Street had a couple of Cannondales in the window when I peered in their front window around 10pm Monday 9th of May.
That's interesting, they were the 'Dunno' answer when I asked if they dealt with Cannondale on the phone..... Might need a little better customer interface training :-) I'll drop in for a chat next time I'm in Newy.

Richard
'
LOL, too funny. There are a few 'dales on their website: https://www.twowheel.com.au/product-cat ... ikes/road/

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat May 28, 2022 2:35 pm

So....
I was most surprised when I managed to track down another Cannondale Topstone NEO Lefty e-Gravel bike not too far away, especially as the importer still denies all knowledge of this model. But...in Large size...which according to Cannondale is way too big for me at my height of 175cm. However, on inspecting the bike at the shop all I needed to do was knock 2cm off the stem length and it fitted fine. I reckon the 6 footers Cannondale say should use this size of bike would be pretty cramped and have the seat post WAY out.

Anyhow, deposit put down - I collect it this week so I'll post a first proper ride impression RSN. Going to be interesting as I am still recovering from a TURP operation (4 weeks out) so could be a bit tender still. (Google it if you are too young to worry about things like that :-) )

Admittedly, I only like a 30mm-ish drop from the saddle to the handlebar top height on touring/gravel bikes so if you want a big drop from the saddle to the bar top height, maybe my size selection not for you.

Counting down the days.... :-)

Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:41 pm

SO... Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 e-Gravel (what a mouthful!) has made it to my garage eventually!

First test ride around the crappy local Williams valley roads and a few dirt roads were, to be quite truthful, a bit of an eye-opener.
I can see why people get hooked on e-bikes - I didn't use anything but ECO mode and the hills seemed to melt away! The Bosch system is a bit 'Aggressive' in the way it assists you at times but you soon get used to it. Could be interesting on steep gravel roads maybe....

The bike itself, as a bicycle, is a delight to ride. Very sharp handling, the disc brakes work as advertised and the ride was very comfortable once set up to my requirements. The gravel front and rear suspension did a good job of softening the impact of the linked potholes that comprise the road system around here at the moment and the tyres (somewhat to my surprise) handled the loose surface of the gravel roads very well.

This will be used for light touring, so fitting luggage looks like it might be a challenge. Current thinking is an Ortlieb handlebar bag and my Carradice touring saddlebag for pub based touring. Where I'm going to put a front light once the handlebar bag is fitted is going to be a problem.
Any suggestions on either of the above points appreciated!

Richard

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:16 pm

Howabout a large frame bag instead of the handlebar bag? IF pub touring you are looking at a change of clothes and a warm jacket and if you can get that into an Ortlieb bar bag (she says looking at the one on the shelf) you can get it in a large bikepackers frame bag

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:08 pm

zebee wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:16 pm
Howabout a large frame bag instead of the handlebar bag? IF pub touring you are looking at a change of clothes and a warm jacket and if you can get that into an Ortlieb bar bag (she says looking at the one on the shelf) you can get it in a large bikepackers frame bag
Hmm, well I'll be carrying the handlebar bag and a saddlebag of some sort (shaping up to be my old Carradice touring bag at the moment) but a frame bag is something I hadn't considered. Might have to be a half bag tho as I will need to be able to use both bottle positions.
I'll have a look and see what's available - thanks for the suggestion!

Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:27 pm

Well the Cannondale Topdale e-Gravel bike has been out on its baptism of fire on a 5 day jaunt around the Central West Trail. The weather has been pretty wet out there recently so there was a lot of water and muddy stretches on the ‘normal’ gravel road creek crossings and waterways let alone the ‘exciting’ day twixt Mandoran and Ballimore thru the State Forest which was totally water-logged. I lost count of the number of water crossings and bog holes that day. We were fortunate that we had sunshine every day and the bridges were open until the last Wellington-Gulgong leg when it chucked it down.
The bike itself was a delight. The suspension at both ends worked as advertised, softening the impact of the many roads that had the base layer of railway ballast showing thru but always providing a positive feedback about what was happening down at road level. Handling was very positive but not twitchy. Shimano GRX disk brakes and gears worked perfectly through some absolutely crappy conditions.
I only used the Eco mode on the motor and it saw me up and through everything we encountered with no stress. I seemed to be getting about 30km range per bar (there are five bars) on the first 4 60-70km days but on the last day which was wet, muddy, sticky and hilly with a direct headwind I was down to the last bar with the controller refusing to estimate range when we reached Gulgong (87km). Interestingly, when the battery went on charge the one bar flickered, instantly went solid and the second bar started flashing indicating to me that I had nearly a whole bars worth of charge left so I dunno… maybe I wasn’t trying as hard that day. I did try the next power level ‘Tour’ once coming to the top of the hill past Gorries Bridge and it was just like someone was pushing you along from behind and I sailed over the crest! Maybe that is cheating… We went thru a LOT of fairly deep crossings and bog holes over this trip and the motor went under temporarily a few times but it didn’t seem to affect anything.
All in all I was very pleased with the bike. It was a pleasure to ride and on the tar sections I often switched off the motor and just dawdled along with the MTB’s I was riding with at 20-odd kph. It was no different than riding a loaded touring bike back in the day. I also cruised along a couple of the highway stretches at 30+-ish kph without noticing any of the stress reported by various e-bike correspondents. Again maybe my years of punting loaded tourers around has conditioned me a bit.
So, apart from the challenge of where to put the luggage I can thoroughly recommend this bike as a light tourer or something just to thrash around gravel roads and tracks – great fun!

Richard

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:44 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 2:35 pm
I reckon the 6 footers Cannondale say should use this size of bike would be pretty cramped and have the seat post WAY out.

Sounds like my Scalpel. Bike fitter added 20mm to the stem. I'm 186cm. Shoulda gone the XL... except no-one had them. Anyway, it's all good now.
WyvernRH wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:27 pm

So, apart from the challenge of where to put the luggage I can thoroughly recommend this bike as a light tourer or something just to thrash around gravel roads and tracks – great fun!

Richard

Did you get any "witty" comments about the single-sided fork in your travels? :lol:

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:44 pm
Did you get any "witty" comments about the single-sided fork in your travels? :lol:
Surprisingly, no I didn't... well not exactly... I put this down to the fact that a LOT of the people you encounter on the CWT are not, ahem ''enthusiast" type cyclists. They are doing it as a fun and adventurous thing to do outside of their normal commuting/fitness cycling normal. I got a few interested enquiries as to why the bike only had one fork leg but no 'Wow that's weird' comments. It was sort of accepted as a techy thing they hadn't encountered before.
Except... on the last wet, windy and muddy day back into Gulgong we met some young(ish) fit chaps on spiffy gravel bikes who had come in from the South and you could see they wanted to ask questions about the bike but thought better of it looking at the muddy, wild eyed and wet old bearded bloke riding this odd looking bike. Safer just to ask about road conditions, especially as he was accompanied by two ladies who were giving off aggressive 'you are stopping me getting to the hot shower' vibes :D

Richard

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:47 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:06 pm
Safer just to ask about road conditions, especially as he was accompanied by two ladies who were giving off aggressive 'you are stopping me getting to the hot shower' vibes :D

Richard

:lol: :lol: Don't mess with the ladies!