M4 Safety Alert Thread

Bunged Knee

Re: M4 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:58 am

Starting from yesterday and ends on 18th December 2020. :roll: ( I don`t believe RMS )

RMS had made a long diversion for cyclists on M4 again for time being between Pitt St Parramatta to Prospect HWY.

I don`t think that I might believe that it will be done by 6 weeks as it had stuffed the end time many times.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:48 pm

Got a link to that doc, hard to see the detour but if they are fixing the section between Rita St, Merrylands and Centenary Dr, Wenty that's a good thing.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:28 am

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:42 am

I used to go that way by choice just to change things up a bit when I was working in Parramatta. The section along Prospect Highway, particularly the bridge over the M4 if you're heading east, is not great. Once you turn left and start heading up to the top of Pemulway it's OK. The road quality from there to the cyclepath at Merrylands wasn't great when I used to do it (maybe they've re-surfaced since then?).

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Silly question for those who ride the M4 from someone who doesn't.

Can a cyclist join the motorway at Hill Road, heading eastbound, and get through to Concord Road? If so, how, without using the 'mousehole' under Homebush Bay Drive?

Heading westbound, a separate cycleway has been provided to avoid having to cross the off and on-ramps for Homebush Bay Drive. But I don't see the same thing heading eastbound.

Did the government do the dodgy on us, again?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:19 pm

I have been avoiding the area like its a hotspot since waste connex. As best I can figure, google street view is currently accurate - there is a sign "Cyclists must exit" at the Homebush Bay Dr exit, however this is not authorised as a standard sign nor as a non-standard sign. To be enforceable there would need to be a bicycles prohibited sign on the road & I have not seen one.

Curiously the RMS cycleway finder shows a path crossing Haslams Creek near the M4, which supposedly comes out here :roll:

If you follow the exit both google & RMS say the bike path goes through the bus tunnel under Homebush Bay Dr, BUT google showed in July 2020 that the gate was locked, which would mean you need to go all the way up to Underwood Rd & use that awful roundabout to come back along Homebush Bay Dr in order to rejoin the M4 path. If the gate is open, there is a new path that goes under the Homebush Bay Dr on-ramp & is an off road path up until Underwood Rd when what happens is a mystery.

Looks like I will need to go for a ride that way & see whats what
Anything you can do, I can do slower

JPB

Postby JPB » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:25 pm

I found the bus tunnel gate locked last month when I went exploring

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:43 pm

Finally got around to a ride through the area. To the surprise of no one, the bridge over Haslam's creek is a work of fiction. If you take the exit prior to Homebush Bay drive, you can follow the bike path right up to the locked gate. If you look through the gate you can see the new bike path just the other side of the tunnel. Instead its up to Australia Ave & use the roundabout of death. There is a green painted bike lane on the on-ramp from Homebush Bay Drive, just ignore the "no bicycles past this point" sign on the right :roll: and onto the M4 shoulder which continues up to Concord Rd. If you are perverse like me you can use the bus lane down to the other side of the locked gate & then use the new path, which takes you back under the ramp & re-joins the M4 shoulder.

On the plus side I discovered there is a new path up the western side of Powells creek, which takes you from Parramatta Rd through to Pomeroy St & from there connects to the existing path to Bicentennial Park. Doesn't look like any useful connections from Parramatta Rd & the park is probably a kid magnet at the usual times, but it might be useful. Looks to continue to the west but I ran out of time to explore further.

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:13 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:43 pm

On the plus side I discovered there is a new path up the western side of Powells creek, which takes you from Parramatta Rd through to Pomeroy St & from there connects to the existing path to Bicentennial Park. Doesn't look like any useful connections from Parramatta Rd & the park is probably a kid magnet at the usual times, but it might be useful. Looks to continue to the west but I ran out of time to explore further.
Where does that start from at either end? I might take a look see. Usually I go from Pomeroy north along the western side of the creek to the bridge by the tennis court. There's now a path from the other side of Pomeroy rd along the creek? What sort of crossing of Pomeroy Rd is there?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:54 pm

I went for another ride this afternoon & there are some useful connections - at the Parramatta Rd end, it comes out just south of the M4 onramp. There is no convenient place to cross Parramatta Rd, but you can get onto the M4 or head west along Powell St & Park Rd, which takes you to where the old bridge across the M4 comes out.

I was surprised to see the bridge was still there - I thought they were threatening to demolish it as part of waste connex - in any event they have removed all bar 1 of the bollards.

The Pommeroy St end cuts across the bowling greens of the old sports club, but no, there is no convenient way to cross Pommeroy St - best way is probably at the driveway for the old sports club

jovan.s1987

Postby jovan.s1987 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:12 pm

Currently on my commutes home from Rydalmere to Penrith, I'm joining the cycle-path off Wigram St Harris Park, following that up to the big Cumberland Hwy intersection & continuing down along Old Prospect Rd, up through Butu Wargun Dr which drops me out onto Prospect Hwy, onto the M4 & take the Kent Rd Exit to ride through Caddens.

My question is - Any alternate route, which minimises my time on the M4? I'm finding the shoulder extremely dirty for most of the way, with the exception of that area around the M7.

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:54 pm

I used to do Rose Hill to lower mountains and did this for a while for the same reasons - too many flats on the M4:

https://bit.ly/2Q7cVnZ

It's further and slower, but it's pretty safe, mostly quiet and clean. Busiest areas were around Sergeants / Carlyle in Minchinbury.

Depending on where in Penrith you need to get to you can continue down the GWH then head through the back of Kingswood, past the uni and the Penrith back streets (Derby, Lethbridge or Stafford)

EDIT, coming from Rydalmere, would it be safer, cleaner, easier to go to the M7 and then take the back roads from Rooty Hill to Penrith? I do that most days coming from the Hills and it's much more pleasant than the M4 commute I used to do back in the day...
Last edited by march83 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jovan.s1987

Postby jovan.s1987 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:43 pm

march83 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:54 pm
I used to do Rose Hill to lower mountains and did this for a while for the same reasons - too many flats on the M4:

https://bit.ly/2Q7cVnZ

It's further and slower, but it's pretty safe, mostly quiet and clean. Busiest areas were around Sergeants / Carlyle in Minchinbury.

Depending on where in Penrith you need to get to you can continue down the GWH then head through the back of Kingswood, past the uni and the Penrith back streets (Derby, Lethbridge or Stafford)

EDIT, coming from Rydalmere, would it be safer, cleaner, easier to go to the M7 and then take the back roads from Rooty Hill to Penrith? I do that most days coming from the Hills and it's much more pleasant than the M4 commute I used to do back in the day...
Thanks for the info. I had actually been looking at the M7 option, but wasn't sure of the best way at getting there? I set out from Rydalmere a street away from Victoria Rd.

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:24 pm

It probably won't be quicker unfortunately. You could take the north bank of the river to Parramatta Park, then go through the Westmead Hospital precinct and then join up with the Old Windsor Road cycleway. That will take you to the M7 near Bella Vista. Pretty indirect, lots of lights and crossings unfortunately.

There are quiet back road that vaguely follow the train line from Parramatta to Rooty Hill, but you'd have to do some exploring. Strava's global heatmap is great for this sort of stuff.

jovan.s1987

Postby jovan.s1987 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am

Is it legal, or OK to ride on the Transitways?

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:27 am

AFAIK, it is not.

jovan.s1987

Postby jovan.s1987 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm

Interesting. Used the route planner on Kamoot & it takes me up the transit way, alongside Old Winsdor Rd, up to the M7 cycle-way.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:46 pm

jovan.s1987 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm
Interesting. Used the route planner on Kamoot & it takes me up the transit way, alongside Old Winsdor Rd, up to the M7 cycle-way.
Parts of it have a cycleway, but it's a pretty stop start route that is slowed by plenty of traffic lights.

Certainly don't ride on the transitway - those bus drivers on that tway are very, very aggressive - and they go very fast too. There is a certain 50km/h zone in one part which we are certain many of them take at far more than 50km/h... Should get a speed camera set up there.

jovan.s1987

Postby jovan.s1987 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:46 pm
jovan.s1987 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm
Parts of it have a cycleway, but it's a pretty stop start route that is slowed by plenty of traffic lights.

Certainly don't ride on the transitway - those bus drivers on that tway are very, very aggressive - and they go very fast too. There is a certain 50km/h zone in one part which we are certain many of them take at far more than 50km/h... Should get a speed camera set up there.
OK thanks, cross of that option in that case.

JPB

Postby JPB » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:43 pm

There are a few trees down blocking the path alongside the M4 at Granville - End of Martha St, near the old speedway, following last nights storm.
You can get through if you get off your bike and force your way through but be prepared to get a few scratches. I have reported it via Snap Send Solve so hopefully they will be cleared in the next few days.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:12 am

JPB wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:43 pm
There are a few trees down blocking the path alongside the M4 at Granville - End of Martha St, near the old speedway, following last nights storm.
You can get through if you get off your bike and force your way through but be prepared to get a few scratches. I have reported it via Snap Send Solve so hopefully they will be cleared in the next few days.
As of last Sunday (26/2), the trees weren't cleared yet. :evil:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:18 am

The underpass near Parramatta Rd and Woodville Rd at Granville is covered in very deep mud. Be careful through there or otherwise go across the traffic lights above.

Anything other than a mountain bike will probably not get through there safely. I have reported it to Parramatta Council.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:46 am

Thanks g-boaf - not surprising for mud following floods there, but good to have it confirmed. Let us know when it's cleaned up

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:46 am
Thanks g-boaf - not surprising for mud following floods there, but good to have it confirmed. Let us know when it's cleaned up
Pretty well most of the paths right alongside the river in Parramatta itself are impassable with very deep mud covering them completely.

It will take more than just blasting with high pressure water to clean it up. Also lots of damage from dropped tree branches.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:41 am

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:02 pm

Pretty well most of the paths right alongside the river in Parramatta itself are impassable with very deep mud covering them completely.
That's the good thing about the new Alfred St bridge - that low lying area prone to flooding between the wharf and Church St can be completely bypassed now.