Pushys buys Bikebug

AndrewCowley

Re: Pushys buys Bikebug

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:51 pm

The way the Pushy's menu operates defies logic. I'm a programmer (albeit not a web developer) and the way that menu works is just horrible. Hard to think how anyone could code something so bad.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:22 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:51 pm
The way the Pushy's menu operates defies logic. I'm a programmer (albeit not a web developer) and the way that menu works is just horrible. Hard to think how anyone could code something so bad.
It's actually best when the developers don't get control of how the design is. Let them do the code cleanly and efficiently, but the design is best in the hands of those who do the research with the users to find the simplest, most logical way that the users expect to interact with the site (or whatever the feature is).

That's how my lot does it, our sites are simplicity, no matter if you use phone, tablet, laptop computer or desktop, they work fast and in a simple logical manner. And they are accessible.

I had a look at the Pushys site, it just looks old. And the drop down navigation when I resized the site down to mobile size, that just vanishes totally. The hamburger menu gives me nothing useful. Oh and they still have the annoying slide in notification. :roll:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:39 am

And they just updated it too!

What I really don't like about both Pushys and Bikebug is that they still have tyre options as 'tubular' or 'clincher'.

What is this, 1987?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:44 pm

"Tubular" and "clincher" are very distinct tyre types, still valid now. So really they just need to add "tubeless compatible" to the list to cover all configurations.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:47 pm

Tubular aint popular like they were in 1987. I have some tubeless wheels laying about but they dont get ridden. Tubeless has well and truly pushed them into the background. Get with the times Pushys.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:54 pm

Sure tubs aren't as popular as they once were, but they still have a considerable fan base.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:40 am

Duck! wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:54 pm
Sure tubs aren't as popular as they once were, but they still have a considerable fan base.
Not that I do it myself, but I would have thought tubulars were still popular in Track (velodrome) racing?

Richard

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:13 am

I had a look at sales yesterday as best I could. They appear to have plummeted. May still be popular for track racing where very high pressure makes sense still. That would represent a small percentage of the overall bike tyre market though.
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/roa ... to-an-end/
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro- ... tyre-tech/

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:33 pm

I have no issue with 'tubular' still being there though imagine they sell bugger all.

Just no idea why there isn't a separate category for 'tubeless'.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:01 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:33 pm
Surely every decent tyre is 'Tubeless ready' these days? :P
Which is a pain for those of us who have no use for tubeless on the road and can do without the extra agro of getting the extra tight tyres on and off :wink:

Richard

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:33 pm

Plenty of conventional non-tubeless tyre clinchers out there still.

I imagine the main problem is with the 'tubeless ready' wheels, not the tyre. I didn't have any problems fitting tyres to my ancient entry level Shimano alloy rims, but the moment I upgraded to modern carbon fibre 'tubeless ready' wheels it became very difficult indeed.

I assume the problem is not just the 'tubeless ready' tyres but also the 'tubeless ready' wheelset and the fine tolerances required to keep the air inside the whole shebang. I actually find it easier to fit actual tubeless tyres onto that wheelset - because there's not a tube to get in the way and damage throughout the process.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:54 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:01 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:33 pm
Surely every decent tyre is 'Tubeless ready' these days? :P
Which is a pain for those of us who have no use for tubeless on the road and can do without the extra agro of getting the extra tight tyres on and off :wink:

Richard
Nope. Tubeless tyres will be listed tlr or tubeles ready or something similar. Tubeless ready have a specific casing.
Perhaps give tubeless a go and you may find you have no use for non-tubeless on the road. :wink:

When you aint interested in non tubeless ready tyres it is nice to save time and filter them out.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:03 pm

No particular difficulty getting tubeless tyres on and off my 3 sets of tubeless wheels. Just make sure the bead is sitting in the deep part of the centre of the rim bed to get the last bit on.
Seating has required a compressor with some tyres however.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:08 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:33 pm
Plenty of conventional non-tubeless tyre clinchers out there still.

I imagine the main problem is with the 'tubeless ready' wheels, not the tyre. I didn't have any problems fitting tyres to my ancient entry level Shimano alloy rims, but the moment I upgraded to modern carbon fibre 'tubeless ready' wheels it became very difficult indeed.

I assume the problem is not just the 'tubeless ready' tyres but also the 'tubeless ready' wheelset and the fine tolerances required to keep the air inside the whole shebang. I actually find it easier to fit actual tubeless tyres onto that wheelset - because there's not a tube to get in the way and damage throughout the process.
Yes, it's a bit of both. Tubeless-ready tyres do typically have a thicker bead profile to lock securely into the rim, and tubeless-compatible rims have an extra shoulder with inner locking bead on each side of the rim bed to work with the tyre to form a proper seal.

However tight tyre and rim combinations have existed since well before the advent of tubeless. Shallow inner wall wells and taller sidewalls on a rim will make any tyre difficult to fit, and some tyres with slightly thicker beads or smaller bead diameter will make it worse. Long before tubeless, I used to dread fitting Vittoria tyres to Alex rims, they were always a very difficult combination!