Who uses these contraptions on road rides??

CmdrBiggles

Who uses these contraptions on road rides??

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:04 pm

I am a first-time owner of the new-fangled, ultralight carbon wheels with tubless tyres. When I first saw they were labelled as "tubeless", I assumed the old-style glue-on, get on and move on affairs, but — ahhh—, not so! All was dutifully revealed and explained and one thing that raised eyebrows was a similar contraption to this for repairing tubeless tyres (the other quick-fix being sticking a Park puncture patch on the inside of the tyre):

https://myride.com.au/products/blackbur ... repair-kit

I thought such things were confined to DIY car tyre repairs; never imagined these tools being downsized for use on today's high tech (but unfortunately not puncture proof) tyres? Anybody here with active on-road experience as to the application and reliability (post-repair)? Is it better to carry a spare inner tube, especially in poor light — just whip off the old tyre, remove the offending object that caused the strife and stuff in a tube, inflate and away, leaving the punctured tyres for a spare hour or so at home another time?

There must be some good (and bad) stories out there... :D
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

familyguy

Re: Who uses these contraptions on road rides??

Postby familyguy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:50 pm

Rather just chuck a tube in. Nothing stopping you running one in a tubeless tyre aside from maybe getting it off the bead by the side of the road if you didn't bother to even bring tyre levers. Having swapped more than a few tubes on the road, the ability to simply plug a hole without bothering does have merits. Relies on you being able to find the hole, though. Then you have to make it bigger with the tool, which seems counter-intuitive.

There's also the Stans Dart:
https://www.notubes.com/dart

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:49 pm

For road dynaplugs are supposed to be the go. https://road.cc/content/review/dynaplug ... ger-285387
Must get some at some point.
For gravel I have something similar to this. https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/products/c ... 3408077869

Road tubeless will largely negate your punctures. Yes carry a tube and plugs but rarely needed ime.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:30 pm

The quickest (but a bit messy) way to fix a tubeless puncture that is beyond the capability of the liquid sealant is to chuck a tube in, just like a normal clincher tyre. There isn't anything radically different about tubeless, it's just a clincher with a few enhancements.

From a purely functional point, plugs are fine and work well, but in narrow & smooth road tyres tend to form a bulge in the tyre (which you'll get from a big enough cut anyway) that will give a rhythmic bump as the wheel rotates, and that can get annoying when you're riding on it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:32 pm

Tubeless punctures are a bit more complicated than tubed punctures, because there's multiple ways to fix them. Having said that they don't happen anywhere near as often.

If you puncture a tubeless tyre go through the following steps:
1. Try to seal it with the sealant. Pressure on the outside, puncture down. In my experience this rarely works (if the sealant works you generally won't even notice the puncture in the first place) but it's worth a shot.
2. Plug it. I've tried three different plug kits and dynaplug was the only one that actually works. And it works really well - I've got a gravel tyre with 1200km on it with a dynaplug repair of a screw hole. No leaks at all.
3. Remove the tyre and stick a tube in. I've had to do this twice but it was more to do with equipment faults than an issue with the plug.
4. Walk.

This might look complicated but it's still more likely to get you home than than a tubed repair which is 1. Put in a new tube, 2. Walk.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:53 pm

Having read the foregoing posts, yes, I'm leaning strongly toward carrying a spare tube; I do not have the patience of a Hindu cow to stand by the roadside looking for an infuriatingly evasive puncture, or even a slow leak that requires a frequent top-up. Just like MTBing, get the wheel off, remove the tyre, clean out the inside of the tyre and whack in a spare tube. Done and dusted. :lol:
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:42 pm

I carry a Dyna plug + spare TPU tube. I haven't had to use the Dyna plug yet (touch wood). I have previously used the cheaper bacon strip plugs on my GP5000TL successfully, it's been there for 2 years. However, most of the flats that stopped me on the road since going tubeless have been big glass cuts that plugs can't fix, and have chucked the tube in.

I also carry a small microfibre cloth because sealant goes everywhere when changing a tubeless tyre.