Buying a bike: Some general advice for new riders

Duck!
Expert

Re: Buying a bike: Some general advice for new riders

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:15 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:06 am
You've just got to know the level of Shimano components to work out what you're buying. Shimano do not make it easy, but most hybrids will be using entry level components which goes from cheapest to most expensive:

MTB:
Tourney-Altus-Acera-Alivio-Deore (edit added) -SLX- XT-XTR

Road Bike:
Claris-Sora-Tiagra-105-Ultegra-Dura-Ace.

Hybrids/flat bars make it even more confusing because they might use either road or MTB groupsets.
The names are barely relevant, but Shimano's component hierarchy is much more defined than other manufacturers thanks to prominent use of series numbers, which apply to every component they make. The letter on the start of the series number defines its intended use: M=Mountain, R=Road, A=All-Purpose, T="Trekking" (hybrids really), U=Urban/Utility. The first numeral defines the series rank, the higher the number, the higher up the tree it sits. The second digit is the series evolution; for example R7000 and R7100 (both branded "105") fit the third tier of road stuff; R7100 is the later version at that level. The third & fourth digits in the code refer to particular component variants within the series.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

GFR

Postby GFR » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:03 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:06 am
So you can see the Reid is substantially cheaper, and running a higher spec groupset. Though it is a Reid, versus the more established brands which is the trade off.

Personally I'd have a look at Polygon:
Thanks for that - I think I’ll go test-ride the Reid first given that analysis.

Polygon definitely sounds decent, but I don’t want to buy without a test-ride.

hillsrider99

Postby hillsrider99 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:32 pm

Hello All. I'm in the market for a new hardtail. Price range I'm looking at is $1000-$2000. I ride for fitness and like riding up steep hills. My riding it mostly bitumen in the suburbs, but like banging up the curb occasionally to get out the way of a car or walker, and sometimes do a bit of bush bashing.

A had a look online, and got a bit overwhelmed. I visited my first bike shop tonight in 13 years, and got to have a look at new bikes in real life. Regarding my needs, I'm mostly interested in maintenance, supportability and standardisation (if that is possible ?). My current bike is a 13 year old Avanti Ridge rider. The gear train has nearly Gone to God (G2G). But, the gear train started showing signs of wear four years after purchase (2012) when the peddle drive would slip a little bit (Nb/ I look after my pushbikes). I thought: no problemo, I'll just order a new gear assembly online. Shouldn't be too expensive. It turned out that my rear gear assembly (Shimano something?) was not available anymore, and other Shimano models weren't compatible with my existing wheel. The only way around it was new rear wheel. When I priced up everything, the costing was a significant percentage of the bike. So, I abandoned the idea of servicing it, and just thrashed the crap out of it. It has lasted until now (it's too dangerous to ride up hills now. The chain slips on the sprockets). So, my next bike, I just want a gear train that is standard and can be replaced. Everything else is pretty much right. I've never replaced the brake pads on it.

Any tips much appreciated. Thanks for the tips above Mr Purple :)

hillsrider99

Postby hillsrider99 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:19 pm

One other question. We have this weed in Adelaide called "Caltrop". It is a hideous weed and loves to grow next to path ways. It is able to puncture motorcycle and car tyres. How do modern pushbike tyres fair now days against this type of weed ?

Nb/ This weed is why I get mountain bikes. Although, I still manage about two punctures a year and I know where this weed grows, and avoid it.

Zoid

Postby Zoid » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:44 pm

Looking for some advice in purchasing a second-hand bike. I commute 35km per trip to and from work and have been using my Norco search xr flat bar gravel bike for some time now but it feels slow.

Looking to upgrade to a more dedicated road bike. Have seen some second hand Apollo's Ultra 20s that's only a couple of years old with Ulterga group set and not as expensive as the more known brands. Just wondering if these bikes are decent and what would be a decent price?

I'm otherwise looking at Polygons.

Thanks in advance!

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:38 pm

Welcome to the forums Zold. The Apollo looks well specced, but I'm not sure what the geometry is like. You would have to test ride to check fit/size/comfort. Do you need to carry equipment with you? Your current ride has full attachment points for a rack and mudguards, which you wouldn't get with the Apollo. You are also going from 38mm tyres to 28mm tyres and gaining gears, but the Norco has much lower gearing than the Apollo, so if you have a lot of hills on your commute, this is something to factor in. You'll be losing the hydraulic disc brakes also.
Buying second hand; do you have enough mechanical knowledge not to buy a lemon? Carbon frames can be hard to evaluate for hidden crash damage.
Polygons cut above their weight, but you'll be buying without trying and need to make sure any bike you buy fits you well.
I hope this helps; I have no experience with the bikes you mention, just looking at their specs and offering general advice.

sotizubeyirson

Postby sotizubeyirson » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:20 am

Hello everyone!

As a newcomer to our forum, I'm excited to embark on my journey into cycling and I'd love to seek some guidance from all of you. I have a few questions regarding bike selection and the starting process, and I hope I can benefit from your experiences and insights.
Could you please suggest budget-friendly bike models suitable for beginners? I'm interested in both road and mountain bike options.
What should I consider when selecting a bike? How do I choose a bike that fits my height, weight, and other physical attributes?
What are the must-have equipment for starting cycling? Any recommendations for items like helmets, gloves, and apparel?
What are some basic cycling techniques and tips for beginners? I'm eager to learn how to pedal safely and enjoyably.
How can I get involved in local cycling communities or participate in organized events? Any suggestions on how to make new friends and share experiences?
I'm looking forward to benefiting from your shared knowledge and advice as I embark on this exciting journey. Thank you in advance for your insights!

Best regards,
Jane

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:20 pm

Hi Jane, and welcome. You have some very broad and comprehensive inquiries there. You haven't stated what region you are from, but it might be possible to find a local cycling organisation near you. For example, where I live Cycling Brisbane run free classes on everything from riding skills to mechanical repairs.
The website also has general information for people new to cycling.
Try searching this forum too. Pretty much every question has been answered before and you'll find a wealth of information once you learn to search for relevant threads.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:30 pm

If you are in Melbourne a woman I ride with on Saturdays runs women's rides during the week. From learner right though to more advanced.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:12 am

Dutch cargo bike firm Babboe ordered to halt sales amid safety concerns
Dutch cargo bike firm Babboe ordered to halt sales amid safety concerns (msn.com)
The manufacturer has already “received numerous reports of frame breakages” and did not appear to have followed up on these reports, NVWA said. The Dutch public prosecutor’s office is establishing whether there is basis for a criminal investigation, it added.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers