2024 <10,000 km Club

User avatar
grt046
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:53 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby grt046 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:49 pm

Off the bike for a few more days on Doc's advice so that's me done for Feb. A slow start to the year but at least we are underway.

Totals for Feb which is also YTD is:
Distance: 451 km
Elevation: 2438 M
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:31 am

Slipping behind my target.
457km for February. I need closer to 700 to keep up to the goal.
1176km YTD.
Lot's of excuses. :D Severe storms, 4 day power outage, humid nights-poor sleep, disrupted routine at home and work, blah, blah, blah.
Think I'm just getting old. :)

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby DavidS » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Well that's it for commuting, leave work tomorrow with my redundancy and likely this is retirement.

So, making decent KMs for the first couple of months: 498KM in Feb and up to 1,081 for the year.

Missed a fair number of days with illness, Meniere's attacks, no way you ride after that, vertigo on a bike ain't great ;)

Now I can just ride when I want so will get into the habit of riding a few days a week.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

warthog1
Posts: 14377
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:19 pm

DavidS wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 pm
Well that's it for commuting, leave work tomorrow with my redundancy and likely this is retirement.

So, making decent KMs for the first couple of months: 498KM in Feb and up to 1,081 for the year.

Missed a fair number of days with illness, Meniere's attacks, no way you ride after that, vertigo on a bike ain't great ;)

Now I can just ride when I want so will get into the habit of riding a few days a week.

DS
I wish I was doing similar but not to be yet.
Congratulations!
Freedom. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

User avatar
grt046
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:53 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby grt046 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:50 pm

DavidS wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 pm
Well that's it for commuting, leave work tomorrow with my redundancy and likely this is retirement.

So, making decent KMs for the first couple of months: 498KM in Feb and up to 1,081 for the year.

Missed a fair number of days with illness, Meniere's attacks, no way you ride after that, vertigo on a bike ain't great ;)

Now I can just ride when I want so will get into the habit of riding a few days a week.

DS
Well done and welcome to retirement. Riding when and where you want to will be the biggest change.
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

Scott No Mates
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: North Shore - Sydney

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Scott No Mates » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:20 pm

YTD 917km
Very 9337m


On track

:D
I really should take up cycling!

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:54 am

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:19 pm
DavidS wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 pm
Well that's it for commuting, leave work tomorrow with my redundancy and likely this is retirement.

So, making decent KMs for the first couple of months: 498KM in Feb and up to 1,081 for the year.

Missed a fair number of days with illness, Meniere's attacks, no way you ride after that, vertigo on a bike ain't great ;)

Now I can just ride when I want so will get into the habit of riding a few days a week.

DS
I wish I was doing similar but not to be yet.
Congratulations!
Freedom. :)
Ditto - still at least another 2-3 years away for me

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:56 am

Two months in an I am behind the pace for my 4000km target. Currently sitting on 425kms, so I'm 252kms behind.

kilroy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby kilroy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:17 pm

806/5000km. Missed a few weeks due to having sutures in my leg but getting back on track now.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby DavidS » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:08 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:54 am
warthog1 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:19 pm
DavidS wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 pm
Well that's it for commuting, leave work tomorrow with my redundancy and likely this is retirement.

So, making decent KMs for the first couple of months: 498KM in Feb and up to 1,081 for the year.

Missed a fair number of days with illness, Meniere's attacks, no way you ride after that, vertigo on a bike ain't great ;)

Now I can just ride when I want so will get into the habit of riding a few days a week.

DS
I wish I was doing similar but not to be yet.
Congratulations!
Freedom. :)
Ditto - still at least another 2-3 years away for me
It was going to be 2-3 years away, then they restructured me and I looked at the replacement job and just couldn't be bothered applying. With my employer for 20 years and this was the 8th restructure for me, sick of it.

I'm late 50s so doing the numbers in terms of retirement. I have some money set aside and invested, and a lot of super. I can't access the super until I am 60 and won't need to until later anyway. So, I need to sort out how do this but I'm hoping it will work.

First day of no longer working, did a 50KM ride, well 49KMs must find a way to make it 50. Will be my standard ride and I am planning on 3 times a week. But, got off the bike and vertigo hit so I will need to be careful. Not sure what triggers the vertigo, it can be quite inconsistent.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

tcdev
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby tcdev » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:56 pm

After steadily increasing my distance every year since 2014, and despite setting myself a lofty goal I had a pretty dismal year last year due to both lack of motivation and health niggles.

This year however I resolved to get back on track and I'm looking to complete 6,656km to bring me up to a cumulative distance of 50,000km since I started riding!

The start of the year has been hampered by those same health niggles, however medication and recent surgery have rectified those now and I'm almost allowed to get back on the bike. As it stands 21/03/24 I've only done 434km (1,025km behind pace) but the plan is to ramp up and get on with some serious riding in the coming weeks/months.

Ideally I'd like to commute to work - the route is about 50 mins and mostly bike paths which I know backwards - but the logistics of the job don't really lend itself to doing so. 15km each way so nothing too taxing and a handy chunk of the goal...
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:47 pm

Am seeing the physio tonight for lower back pain - hoping it is just muscular, given I've never had back issues previously for the first 62 years of my life. Have ridden twice in the past 2 weeks, so well behind my target now.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21430
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:29 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:47 pm
Am seeing the physio tonight for lower back pain - hoping it is just muscular, given I've never had back issues previously for the first 62 years of my life. Have ridden twice in the past 2 weeks, so well behind my target now.
Is it anything else you’ve been doing off bike? Or a backpack you are wearing when commuting?

I’ve got a bit of back pain myself but not lower back, it’s muscle pain I’m sure.

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:29 am

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:29 am
Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:47 pm
Am seeing the physio tonight for lower back pain - hoping it is just muscular, given I've never had back issues previously for the first 62 years of my life. Have ridden twice in the past 2 weeks, so well behind my target now.
Is it anything else you’ve been doing off bike? Or a backpack you are wearing when commuting?

I’ve got a bit of back pain myself but not lower back, it’s muscle pain I’m sure.
I have a trunk bag on a rack for commuting on my gravel bike, so something else has caused this. Possibly the too soft AirBnB bed last week in Adelaide but could be something I did on a ride. Physio last night helped a little bit so I'm not walking like Joe Biden today, and I have a GP appointment today to get some muscle relaxant meds before my next physio session tomorrow.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21430
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:35 am

I discovered my issue, it was the backpack - went back to proper Specialized backpack (intended for commuting) and feels better. Weight is better supported.

User avatar
grt046
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:53 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby grt046 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:59 am

Totals for March are:
Distance: 625 km
Elevation: 3461 M
Year to date:
Distance: 1076 km
Elevation: 5899 M
Still a long way behind goal schedule (1000km) but hopefully things are on the way up
Last edited by grt046 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

Scott No Mates
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: North Shore - Sydney

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Scott No Mates » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:44 pm

On target this year, 3 months in a row.

1370km down with 14,500m elevation.

March was another reasonable month, 450ish km/5300m ele, 3 months on the trot.

I've gotta keep those numbers high while the weather is still good and work is slow.

Commuting to work isn't a thing, 4km each way and mostly shared paths, so I just WFH, I've done my day in the office for the year :lol:
I really should take up cycling!

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:50 pm

Haven't ridden for 11 days but my lower back pain has improved a lot, so will ease back into riding this coming week

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:05 pm

A trifling 262km for March including 22 consecutive days off the bike.
The Easter break has brought with it some very nice weather which got me going again.
Not too concerned about the extended time off, I'd been feeling a bit stale.
My fitness is still good from all sorts of other activity but the legs are feeling a little tender after 3 fairly enthusiastic, lumpy rides with a couple of mates. Another (small) bunchy tomorrow.
1438km thus far.
Way below the target but things are looking up. And I feel good.:D

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:30 pm

429KMs for March so pretty good considering no commuting any more.

Vertigo has kept me off the bike a few times. Likely the same tomorrow as I had a bad attack on Monday, Tuesday was a write off, did nothing. Might leave riding again until next week.

Just need to keep getting on the bikes and riding when I can. In any case, need to justify all the parts which just arrived from Bike 24.

1,510KMs so far for the year so on track for the 5,000 I am aiming for. Riding in winter has not been a problem for me so hoping I can keep this up.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21430
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:15 am

Any progress in finding what triggers the vertigo?

You could also look at Zwift - there are some fun rides with nice people on there, the chat is great and it’s a good way to spend 1 hour.

If vertigo is a real big barrier then this could be a safe option to keep your activity going.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2024 <10,000 km Club

Postby DavidS » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:30 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:15 am
Any progress in finding what triggers the vertigo?

You could also look at Zwift - there are some fun rides with nice people on there, the chat is great and it’s a good way to spend 1 hour.

If vertigo is a real big barrier then this could be a safe option to keep your activity going.
Anxiety and stress trigger the vertigo, trouble is I also get it when I have no anxiety or stress. Infuriating! Difficult to get a good idea as there is no known cause or cure for Meniere's. I did get a book on this I need to read, looks to be a medical textbook but I should be ok, a bit of knowledge should prove very dangerous.

I really do like riding outdoors so I will stick with riding on the roads, but Zwift is a consideration, worth thinking about if I can no longer ride outside.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Duck!, jasonc, Newcastle Dave, piledhigher2