New to cycling

oarsome

New to cycling

Postby oarsome » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi,

Im new to cycling and have a few questions.

i purchased a flat rail road bike for commuting but since purchasing it i havent been off it. I am riding about 160 kms a week.

Im crusing at about 32kms/h with no wind, about 26kms/h in to a head wind and up to 45kms/h with a tail wind. i can maintain these for up to 80kms a day.

Im riding in running shoes and old running clothes as i havent purchased any cycling cloths yet.

My questions are:

1. Are the speeds fast enough to join some organised rides (such as organised by SKCC in melboune)?

2. will i look like a goose, (should i buy some cycling clothes).

thanks for your help.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:54 pm

You are certainly strong enough. If the other riders laugh at your gears, then that's their problem. But in all likelihood, you'll gradually succumb to peer pressure in due course and appreciate the benefits of some of those dedicated gears.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:24 pm

G'Day Oarsome, welcome outside :wink:

You are fast enough for club rides at that pace.

Cycling clothes hmmm, you could go the lycra look or goto Ground Effect for something a little less shiny.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Welcome oarsome,

You'll hold your own if you can keep that sort of pace up of 80km's.

Changing your clothes will make your rides more comfortable.

Enjoy the ride,

Matt

Dcyclist

Postby Dcyclist » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:44 pm

G'day oarsome, sound to me like your going very well as you are. If your free this Saturday morning there is the Belgian Beer Cafe ride, from St. Kilda to either Black Rock or Mordialloc, return. It's a good intro to group rides, with riders of all abilities and styles participating. The Australia Day ride saw everything from very high end bling to tandems, fixies, and mountain bikes being used. If you can't make it this Saturday, it'll be held again on the last Saturday of each month except December. The rides start from the cafe in Moubray St. at 7:00am for Mordy, and 7:30 for Black Rock, return to the cafe around 9:00am for the breakfast of Belgian waffles. Further details are available on the BV forum site in the plan a ride section, or from this site http://www.bbcmelb.com/cycling-club.htm
Dave
Merida Scultura 5000
Bianchi C2C Via Nirone

oarsome

Postby oarsome » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:48 pm

thanks this is all really helpful info.

would the melb people recomend taging along on the "slow/recovery" skcc rides of a mon/wed/fri morning as a good way to start?

also, is there any etiquette i should know about before attempting to ride with a larger group?

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:02 pm

oarsome wrote: also, is there any etiquette i should know about before attempting to ride with a larger group?
I think the general idea is to not run into other riders...other than that have fun.

With most group riders and rides for that matter they always seem to have different motions and signals for different things,eg; pointing to the side to warn of an object (may be wrong for some groups). Generally new riders are told to stay at the rear until they get the hang of all of the gestures and then when you are confident....dig in. :D

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 pm

oarsome wrote:also, is there any etiquette i should know about before attempting to ride with a larger group?
Learn a few basic rules on bunch riding, there's some guides out there to look at.

And if you do join someone else's bunch, attach to the back of it and when the riders from the other club roll back, let them go in front of you.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?