Why would you want to ride a recumbent instead of an upright bike?

opik_bidin

Why would you want to ride a recumbent instead of an upright bike?

Postby opik_bidin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:31 pm

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Why would you want to ride a recumbent instead of an upright bike?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Beacause you have a beard, and you like wearing shorts and sandals.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:45 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Beacause you have a beard, and you like wearing shorts and sandals.
Two out of three ain't bad.

You also like a comfortable seat rather than a lightly padded rail, you like to keep your neck at a sensible angle rather than a 90deg kink, you like your weight on your well padded bits rather then your wrists, and you really like the totally confused and boggled look on other bicycle riders when they see you....

(all the kids yelling "cool bike!" is another reason)

Zebee

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 pm

I would like to know where in Sydney could one test ride or try to ride a recumbent bike?

I have heard that recumbents are not so great uphill but they have a lot of gears...up to 63speed??????

Not sure if I'd like my neck bent forward all the time and my chin in my chest, wouldn't it be like hours of watching TV?

Also, even the trikes are a bit hard to see as they are very low slung and even with a flag at the back, are still hard to see compared to a bicycle on the road. It could be that trying to work out what the heck is up front on the road until you're right onto it...the rider isn't even window sill height on a standard car, so seeing them over a bonnet or a dash may be a bit dangerous for a rider.

These are my observations...I've seen them riding around but like Touring bikes, they are in a very minor market so therefore harder to buy here and expensive....I think more people are getting into cargo bikes now rather than recumbents and now you got e-bikes...takes the work out of a lot of circumstances.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:43 pm

brumby33

There's a Facebook page called NSW Recumbent Riders. There maybe someone there who will give you a go.

Do a search for Recumbent bikes on Gumtree - there's a few bikes on there from Sydney and Canberra you could look at.

I ride a Recumbent trike. I find that cars give more room to the trike them they do for bikes. I reckon that a trike is safer in that regard than a bike.

OB

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:52 pm

OldBloke wrote:brumby33

There's a Facebook page called NSW Recumbent Riders. There maybe someone there who will give you a go.

Do a search for Recumbent bikes on Gumtree - there's a few bikes on there from Sydney and Canberra you could look at.

I ride a Recumbent trike. I find that cars give more room to the trike them they do for bikes. I reckon that a trike is safer in that regard than a bike.

OB
Thanks Oldbloke.....yeah I don't mind them trikes.....am I right about the gears though...about 63?

VWR Patagonia 2017

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Two of our trikes are 3x10 - 30 gears.
My second trike is 3x9x3 - 81 gears :D . But in reality out of the 81 there is probably only 18 distinct ratios because of overlap. If I need to replace the hub at some stage I'd go to a straight 10 speed.

OB

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm

I am in Sydney and in that FB group, I am based in Lakemba and Have a Cruzbike T50, which is a recumbent bike. Near me in Campsie, there is Maddy (If I didn't hear wrong) who has a Greenspeed trike and did a ride for the freestye cyclists.

There is Sydney Classic Bicycle Show in the Teme Velodrome on March 30th and many Recumbent riders gathered by Domes will be there, including me. You can go there to see and try recumbent bikes that we bring.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:49 pm

opik_bidin wrote:I am in Sydney and in that FB group, I am based in Lakemba and Have a Cruzbike T50, which is a recumbent bike. Near me in Campsie, there is Maddy (If I didn't hear wrong) who has a Greenspeed trike and did a ride for the freestye cyclists.

There is Sydney Classic Bicycle Show in the Teme Velodrome on March 30th and many Recumbent riders gathered by Domes will be there, including me. You can go there to see and try recumbent bikes that we bring.

Yeah I've got next weekend off too so I'll definitely be heading to the Tempe Velodrome...good chance to have a ride of my Vivente...hasn't been out in a while and is starting to complain....so am I lol

VWR Patagonia 2017

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 pm

zebee wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Beacause you have a beard, and you like wearing shorts and sandals.
Two out of three ain't bad.

You also like a comfortable seat rather than a lightly padded rail, you like to keep your neck at a sensible angle rather than a 90deg kink, you like your weight on your well padded bits rather then your wrists, and you really like the totally confused and boggled look on other bicycle riders when they see you....

(all the kids yelling "cool bike!" is another reason)

Zebee
You have a beard on the inside, Zebee.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:34 pm

Why would you want to ride one?

Speed, apparently!!!

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!