RUOK?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
baabaa

Re: RUOK?

Postby baabaa » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:43 am

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:12 pm

I was going to put this in my Old & Decrepit thread but my issue is more mental than physical atm although my physical attributes have seen no improvement either.
Nah I think I'm either mentally exhausted or overwhelmed what I'm faced with recently.

We bought this 3 brm house in Albury, it's got good bones but the previous owners have left certain hidden things in a condition where we need to replace and fix many things I had hoped that I'd not be up for so it looks as though I'm having to cough up a fair bit of dough for renovations too numurous to list here. I had a tenant in here when we bought the house and it looked as if she had looked after the place and just before she moved out, we asked through the agent if there was any issues with the place we should know about, the answer was no, everything was good. THe bloody agent didn't even do a post tenancy inspection nor did she arrange for water meter read out and still owes us money for water usage...nope, many emails later and no repy.

So now we're dealing with tradies for certain jobs, many won't even send their quotes. Anyway we have a builder coming along next week, hopefully he can help with somethings.

Just after I moved to Albury, I thought I'd better start looking for some work so approached a transport company and got a Casual job driving, far out....some shifts are over 13 hours long. so I can't see this being a long term gig but i need to work for a bit so that I need to reserve some savings for the renos.....I'm so tired, when I have the weekends off, the Mrs has me trapsing down the isle of some Supermarket or hardware/furniture joint, and the weekend is over and back to work.

I've been wanting to go out for rides and explore areas around Albury/ Wodonga etc by bicycle but really don't the motivation then because days like today is a perfect Autumn day with 22C and sunny, but couldn't get motivated and now the sun is going down and it's near dinner time, I end up being angry at myself for wasting a perfect sunny day....I know I'll regret it tonight.

Sometimes I just wanna scream and yell F*** Everything!! I wonder if i did the right thing and move down here sometimes :roll:

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:18 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Sometimes I just wanna scream and yell F*** Everything!! I wonder if i did the right thing and move down here sometimes :roll:

brumby33
You did. There are hiccups with every move.
Much lower population density and some great riding around there.
Less pollution, less crowds, less noise. Just gotta get used to it. :)

But ssshhh. Don't tell too many or it'll be crowded there too. :x :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:18 pm
brumby33 wrote:

brumby33
You did. There are hiccups with every move.
Much lower population density and some great riding around there.
Less pollution, less crowds, less noise. Just gotta get used to it. :)

But ssshhh. Don't tell too many or it'll be crowded there too. :x :lol:
Yeah Warty, loving that aspect of it, not much traffic, I'm driving buses up here now and the traffic is nothing compared to the big smoke plus on one of our routes, we get to venture briefly out of the 60 & 80 kph zone and into the 100 and blow the cobwebs out of those poor deprived bus engines...they love it.
Since the flooding of the Murray River last year, some of the wetland bike and walking paths are closed for repair so it's a bit hard to find where to ride till they open it up again.

VWR Patagonia 2017

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:49 pm

Yeah Warty, loving that aspect of it, not much traffic, I'm driving buses up here now and the traffic is nothing compared to the big smoke plus on one of our routes, we get to venture briefly out of the 60 & 80 kph zone and into the 100 and blow the cobwebs out of those poor deprived bus engines...they love it.
Since the flooding of the Murray River last year, some of the wetland bike and walking paths are closed for repair so it's a bit hard to find where to ride till they open it up again.
We have visited there a few times when my son was playing basketball.
Not bad at all. I could live there no problems. Didn't even think about it when we moved to Benders :roll: as we wanted to be closer to family. Nup, that'd be close enough, and a bit warmer.
You have chosen well I reckon.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:16 pm

There are various lists compiled that score and rank major life events and changes and their effect on stress levels. Topping the list are the obvious circumstances such as death of a spouse or family member, divorce, fired from a job etc.
Near the top of the list is moving house and starting a new job. Moving to an entirely different city is on the list too.
Having worked in the building trade for decades I know how stressful renovation, dealing with tradesmen and the upheaval of normal routine can be. Especially if you're trying to live in the house at the same time. Noise, dust, unreliability, often poor workmanship, high costs, the list goes on.
Mate, you're carrying a big load.
There are dozens of recommended methods for dealing with stress, and plenty that aren't. None of which help much in the immediate event I've ever found. My approach has always been to knuckle down, ride it out as best I can in the short term then step back, take a breath and start to implement a sensible plan to sort things out step by step. Things pile up in the mind and often take time to unravel and straighten out one by one with a calm and logical process of thought and action.
Give it some time. Things will settle. These are are big changes.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:15 pm

Tim wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:16 pm
There are various lists compiled that score and rank major life events and changes and their effect on stress levels. Topping the list are the obvious circumstances such as death of a spouse or family member, divorce, fired from a job etc.
Near the top of the list is moving house and starting a new job. Moving to an entirely different city is on the list too.
Having worked in the building trade for decades I know how stressful renovation, dealing with tradesmen and the upheaval of normal routine can be. Especially if you're trying to live in the house at the same time. Noise, dust, unreliability, often poor workmanship, high costs, the list goes on.
Mate, you're carrying a big load.
There are dozens of recommended methods for dealing with stress, and plenty that aren't. None of which help much in the immediate event I've ever found. My approach has always been to knuckle down, ride it out as best I can in the short term then step back, take a breath and start to implement a sensible plan to sort things out step by step. Things pile up in the mind and often take time to unravel and straighten out one by one with a calm and logical process of thought and action.
Give it some time. Things will settle. These are are big changes.
Yeah Tim, one of the main problems we've had with tradies at this point is that they give a time, then they never turn up. no phone call and my wife is having to delay her other things on the off chance they will turn up.
I've been one in the past like yourself is buckle down and just cope with the drama of renos and yeah, we are living in the place while things are being done. We would've liked to have moved down here earlier last year but we could not get a rental here for hell or high water as every house that came on the rental market seen over 80 applicants apply and I wasn't working at that point although I had 2 years rent money in my bank but agents wanted someone with a job. I would've got work done before moving in.....we've been sleeping in our bed in the loungeroom over the past 8 days :lol: WE can't move back into our bedroom atm coz there's still a lot of unfinished work done and i have to work up to 12 hour days so can't be here to check on tradies. Also having to console and put up with my wife's stress as well.....
Anyway, as the Winter Months are approaching, we hope to have most stuff finished by Spring so we can unbox everything to put in it's place.....we've been in the house for 4 Months now and have about 40 boxes of stuff still unpacked in the side room that i can't use till i unbox it all....I've forgotten what most stuff is in them now.

We really need to get rid of a lot of crap we've accumulated over the past 30 years. I know it'll get better but i do get impatient at times and wonder when the tide will change.

But so far, I really do like living here in this region and have really enjoyed getting to know Wodonga too, what a really nice layed out township. Mrs really likes shopping in Wodonga better than Albury.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:47 am

Once you have it all done, Brumby, you'll forget about this chit. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:01 am

Follow up from the fall around the pool id February............. :evil:

Besides fracturing tailbone pushing it to the side, breaking some bone off a bone to my wrist, fracturing a bone in the wrist, I now have two areas of arthritis on either side of one bone, most of the gristle worn away from where forearm bone meets the wrist, the two bones at the back of the wrist are worn from bone on bone, and there is a nerve running from the bottom inside of my elbow in to the wrist and two outside fingers that appears to be pinched. :roll: :evil:

Had a cortisone injection into the wrist (that was just plain nasty) to see what or if that would help, it did for a little while. He is also talking an op for floating bone removal, cutting 4mm out of forearm bone and plating so that it doesn't keep wearing away at the wrist bones an fusing options if that doesn't work. :roll: :evil:

To say that I'm a wee bit plissed off about all of this, is an understatement! :roll: He even put it to others in the profession and they are glad that I'm his concern, due to so much going on in the wrist area, I'm special. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:38 am

Some clip on Aero bars on one of the roadies Foo?
Weight on the forearms rather than the wrists?
Hopefully you get it improved anyway, doesn't sound like fun :(

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:38 am
Some clip on Aero bars on one of the roadies Foo?
Weight on the forearms rather than the wrists?
Hopefully you get it improved anyway, doesn't sound like fun :(

I have a dedicated TT bike but I should be able to setup my training and racing bike of the road for a slightly gentler position for those two but Track bike is a different kettle of fish with little chance of doing that. I suppose the more concerning area at the moment is the area across the lower back, as I'm getting numbness and spin n needles down my left leg since that fall. :evil:

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:10 pm

I’ve got some injury problems again, it just seems one thing after the next. Really starting to think is it worth it. Combination of frustration and angry. :(

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:37 am

brumby33 wrote:

brumby33
Stop whining. Suck it up and deal with it! :lol:

Nah, I'm feeling it Brumby. Especially the whole "day off" where you work harder than at work, for no pay and little immediate reward. Personally, my life has been !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! these last three years, and extra extra !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! since April. And no light at the end of the tunnel. The house in Melbourne is where I sleep when I'm not working. Work is where I go to see who has found a government Big Build job at $60 bucks an hour and is giving notice. The "holiday house" is where I go to mow the lawns on my day off. All holidays this year have been called off. Thankfully I'm retired in 12 months and 2 days

I really hope this push to legalise grass doesn't happen before then :lol:

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:35 am

fat and old wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:37 am
brumby33 wrote:

brumby33
Thankfully I'm retired in 12 months and 2 days

Not that you're counting or anything frivolous like that eh F&O

oh and about the grass....you better have a chat to Willie Nelson, he's a fan :lol:

VWR Patagonia 2017

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:30 am

So how ya going with things now Brumby? You got you routes sorted and found somebodies to ride with and given away the excuses for not riding, especially now that you're not driving anymore? :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:01 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:30 am
So how ya going with things now Brumby? You got you routes sorted and found somebodies to ride with and given away the excuses for not riding, especially now that you're not driving anymore? :?:

Foo
Sadly Foo, planets not aligned yet , been too wet n cold and i'm back to working / Driving buses here since January.
I'm hoping the 2nd half of this year to be much better.
Trying to get tradies for reno work takes up a lot of time to...we'll get there eventually.
I'm now considering e-bikes which i never thought i'd do.

VWR Patagonia 2017

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:56 am

:(

Foo
Goal 6000km

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:45 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:01 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, don't beat yourself up. Reality of life is we all slow down/get weaker/less endurance capacity over time. Anything that makes life enjoyable and healthy is good. I'll be doing it sooner or later, and would rather do that than be stuck walking......or shopping :lol: .

I sometimes think that the peer pressure hereabouts on things electric is a bit harsh.

Grog

Postby Grog » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:35 am

fat and old wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:45 pm
brumby33 wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, don't beat yourself up. Reality of life is we all slow down/get weaker/less endurance capacity over time. Anything that makes life enjoyable and healthy is good. I'll be doing it sooner or later, and would rather do that than be stuck walking......or shopping :lol: .

I sometimes think that the peer pressure hereabouts on things electric is a bit harsh.
+1
There is definitely a perception that people on ebikes aren’t strong enough to ride a “real” bike or are cheating somehow.

I haven’t ridden one yet but know a few people that own eMTBs. What I see are riders who aren’t wasting massive amounts of energy getting to the bits they want to ride, are able to then ride like nutters, then get back in one piece.

In a nutshell, if a bike puts a smile on your face then it’s a great bike. Stuff anyone who has an issue with what you like.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:50 am

fat and old wrote:
brumby33 wrote:

Yes, +1 to the above, especially the last bit.

Also, it does puzzle me this 'Life stops at 25kph' theme that seems to run through this forum. If I'm in a situation where I would be doing over 25kph then I don't need assistance - it's downhill or flat - just pedal normally and go for it.
OK, I'm not going to keep up with a 25 yo on a TDF racer but that was never the case :-). Probably helps that I've had a lifetime of pushing loaded touring bikes around so I don't have the 'racy' expectations that seem to be prominent on this forum.

Anyway, to the point. My wife bought an e-bike a couple of years ago. She is 4 years older than me which starts to matter when you get to retirement age (Ow! sorry dear...). This enabled her to keep up with me on the hills and go for longer rides in hillier places on and off-road. Getting around with her on her new e-bike I noticed that I had been avoiding doing hillier or more strenuous rides as time went on, probably cos I wasn't enjoying them much anymore. So, I succumbed and bought a gravel e-bike to use on such rides and it has been great. We are now going places up in the Barrington Tops and out West that I have been quietly ignoring for the past few years. I still use my 'Acoustic' bikes regularly on shorter (sub 80km) rides down here in the Williams/Paterson/Hunter Valleys but if we are heading up in the big hills or doing a strenuous route I take the e-bike.
You don't have to use the full blast support, we stay on the lowest setting 99% of the time, and if it's flat I often just switch it off.
Helps if you don't buy the boat anchor type e-bike. I would guess my wife's Focus (Fazua motor) weighs the same or only a little more than your Vivante. My Cannondale (Bosche motor) comes in at 39lbs (erm 17kg?). I can punt this along a flat road at 35kph no problem even tho the assist stops at 25kph (see comment re touring bikes above). However, out here in the country we are normally rolling along twixt 20-30kph just enjoying the ride.

Oh yeah, e-bikes also help out if you have a dodgy knee :-)

So in short, my take on it is, if an e-bike makes your life easier and you are more likely to get out on the road then go for it.

Richard

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:20 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:50 am
fat and old wrote:
brumby33 wrote:

Yes, +1 to the above, especially the last bit.

Also, it does puzzle me this 'Life stops at 25kph' theme that seems to run through this forum. If I'm in a situation where I would be doing over 25kph then I don't need assistance - it's downhill or flat - just pedal normally and go for it.
OK, I'm not going to keep up with a 25 yo on a TDF racer but that was never the case :-). Probably helps that I've had a lifetime of pushing loaded touring bikes around so I don't have the 'racy' expectations that seem to be prominent on this forum.

Anyway, to the point. My wife bought an e-bike a couple of years ago. She is 4 years older than me which starts to matter when you get to retirement age (Ow! sorry dear...). This enabled her to keep up with me on the hills and go for longer rides in hillier places on and off-road. Getting around with her on her new e-bike I noticed that I had been avoiding doing hillier or more strenuous rides as time went on, probably cos I wasn't enjoying them much anymore. So, I succumbed and bought a gravel e-bike to use on such rides and it has been great. We are now going places up in the Barrington Tops and out West that I have been quietly ignoring for the past few years. I still use my 'Acoustic' bikes regularly on shorter (sub 80km) rides down here in the Williams/Paterson/Hunter Valleys but if we are heading up in the big hills or doing a strenuous route I take the e-bike.
You don't have to use the full blast support, we stay on the lowest setting 99% of the time, and if it's flat I often just switch it off.
Helps if you don't buy the boat anchor type e-bike. I would guess my wife's Focus (Fazua motor) weighs the same or only a little more than your Vivante. My Cannondale (Bosche motor) comes in at 39lbs (erm 17kg?). I can punt this along a flat road at 35kph no problem even tho the assist stops at 25kph (see comment re touring bikes above). However, out here in the country we are normally rolling along twixt 20-30kph just enjoying the ride.

Oh yeah, e-bikes also help out if you have a dodgy knee :-)

So in short, my take on it is, if an e-bike makes your life easier and you are more likely to get out on the road then go for it.

Richard
It has been suggested to me to convert my Vivente Patagonia to an E-Bike but am reluctant to do that even though I hadn't had the chance to do any loaded up touring on it, i'm very much a traditionalist.

If I could afford it, I'd love to buy some kind of e-cargo bike, the utility aspect really interests me, not that i intend on doing any bicycle courier work at the age of 63 lol......well I guess I couldn't be too much slower than snail mail :lol: :lol:

VWR Patagonia 2017

grt046

Postby grt046 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:34 pm

fat and old wrote:
brumby33 wrote:

I totally agree.
I made the jump to an e-bike road (Orbea Gain) a couple of years back and haven't regretted it. The bike weighs around 12kg so not heavy and is a pleasure to ride both assisted or unassisted.
I ride with a group of mainly retirees mostly 8 or more years younger and was struggling to keep up particularly on hills and wanted to continue with the social aspect of group riding without holding them up.
Mine is a totally legal bike (Assist to 25kph) and the group generally averages better than that so I am getting a solid workout with assist on hills and when accelerating from stop. On the hills where speed <25kph I limit assist to the lowest setting to maintain speed with the group.
I am still accepted and riding with the slowest Club group (24 -26Kph average) for a 60km ride.

So brumby33 I would say go for it and continue to enjoy getting out there and clearing the head .... certainly works for me.

Incidentally the Pensioner Group are riding fewer hills these days much to my disappointment :)
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:47 pm

I am 54 now, so younger than some and older than others.
Still enjoy my riding but definitely getting slower.
Not many bunches anymore and more gravel.
You get the odd reminder that the body is past its' prime in other ways too.
Out in the backyard yesterday with our old English bully, who was wagging her tail and wanting a play. I crouched and slowly stalked toward her. I then attempted to run past her but the body didn't respond like it used to. Didn't lift my feet enough and lost my footing, face planting just in front of her :oops: :roll: :lol:
She then pounced on me just to let me know I was caught. I definitely lost that one to the old girl. This old boy was well and truly beaten, but luckily unhurt bar a grazed knee and a bruised ego.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:46 am

The screws in my femur are getting annoying. Certain times I can feel them, and it makes riding annoying at times, particularly getting started. It’s not enjoyable anymore doing outdoor riding in that state.

I think I’ll be using Zwift only for now - I can stop if I need to and not be out somewhere far from home. Shame but that’s how it is. My body just isn’t what it used to be.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:47 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:46 am
The screws in my femur are getting annoying. Certain times I can feel them, and it makes riding annoying at times, particularly getting started. It’s not enjoyable anymore doing outdoor riding in that state.

I think I’ll be using Zwift only for now - I can stop if I need to and not be out somewhere far from home. Shame but that’s how it is. My body just isn’t what it used to be.
:(
Do the screws come out at some point? Can they?