Help! Trying to restore Apollo Concord late 90's Road bike

LenaG

Help! Trying to restore Apollo Concord late 90's Road bike

Postby LenaG » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 am

Hi guys, I have a small frame Apollo Concord Custom Drawn T6 Aluminium 7005 Tri lite road bike. Long story short, I used it when I did triathlons. I now live in the US and it's been sitting for a decade in storage, till I managed to have it sent to me. It's in pretty bad shape and have no idea where to start to fix her up and get back on the road. I have a friend who will do the repairs and up grades who used to own a bike shop. He reckons it's worth getting it fixed. I just need to know what parts to purchase in order to get the ball rolling. It has Maxxis 700x 22c tires, which I can't seem to find anywhere or find it's substitute/equivalent. Any help or advice would be eternally grateful.

RobertL

Re: Help! Trying to restore Apollo Concord late 90's Road bike

Postby RobertL » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:43 pm

I think that you'll find more help if you post this over in the retro bikes section: viewforum.php?f=23&sid=1b17425c118514d5d5cc4d0b6e669e36

That section is chock-full of people doing this sort of thing and they are very knowledgeable.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:45 pm

On tyres: 700C x 23mm tyres are available everywhere. You’ll need to check (you want about 3mm gap) but they should fit.
See here for a guide https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-wid ... can-i-run/
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:05 pm

I’d certainly replace the brake pads and tyres.
Cables (inner and outer) should be checked and replaced if in any doubt.
Unless you have corrosion issues the freewheel/cassette (check this article), chain and sprockets will be as you left them, just in need of a clean and relube.

Take advice from y’mate on wear on these bits.

Speaking of lube: seatpost; stem; bottom bracket; headset and wheel bearings will all need doing. The seat post and stem may have seized- if so check Sheldon Brown’s site for how-to advice (or ask here).

For inspiration see Ryan’s Rebuilds
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ