Ringwood to box hill bike track

Edward C.

Ringwood to box hill bike track

Postby Edward C. » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Hello, I want to cycle from Ringwood to box hill however when I get to Blackburn station, there is no bike track nor foot path to continue on.Does anyone know if there is a track that connects Blackburn to box hill? What is the exact street name?
Separately on the way back from box hill station, if I was following the train track back to Ringwood station, I notice there are some road maintenance works going on near laburnum station, which forces me to ride on the road. Once this road maintenance is completed, would it mean there will be a straight track that connects these all these stations together?
Thx

10speedsemiracer

Re: Ringwood to box hill bike track

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri May 22, 2020 2:08 am

Apparently the trail is incomplete, details are here.

I wasn't aware of the Laburnum issue, I've never ridden it that far.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri May 22, 2020 12:21 pm

drop off the dead end trail as pass Blackburn station entrance and continue along South Parade towards Boxhill with railway on northern (right) side

Before road come to a dead end turn left up the gravel path signed Elmore Walk this comes out on Laburnum rd turn right on road for 100m and then take the path that accesses Laburnum Station this continues to Middleborough rd....take the footpath across the railbridge and then a ramp system with tight corners very busy at school times (normally) weaves under Middleborough rd the shared trail continues on the north side of the rail line to a dead end at the underpass of Station Rd "official" route is now get off and push after all you've got there

(As I don't live in Box Hill Metro I carefully cross and pick up bike lane / parking lane on Cambridge St and at the end turn left can then pick up a trail that heads towards Aqualink staying on the trail with boating lake to left turn onto Standard Avenue which delivers you to the bike lane on Mont Albert rd....cyclists have to levitate across this junction as there is no road option to join the cycle lane heading west ....believe the answer is become a ped' and wait for 2 sets of traffic light changes to wheel bike across the junction)

The BoxHill to Ringwood trail has some great bits and then some really crap compromises the consultation on Laburnum Rd has just finished and despite the original scheme having two fixed conditions:

1/No net loss of parking
2/ Be all off road
guess which one isn't being stuck to? all due to local resident opposition ...I'm waiting for the day people wake up and realise good cycling facilities will positively impact quality of life and their house prices

The no net loss of parking has resulted in some really crap design - see the 5km/hr speed limit on the narrow shared ramp at Nunawading Station - remove 1 car park space and this conflict could be avoided also the crazy on road contraflow on Station St

Believe the speed limit on Laburnum rd will be reduced and a new crossing by the rail bridge will eventually happen

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:15 pm

antigee wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:21 pm

1/No net loss of parking
2/ Be all off road
guess which one isn't being stuck to? all due to local resident opposition ...I'm waiting for the day people wake up and realise good cycling facilities will positively impact quality of life and their house prices
The parking thing is a bit of a funny one. Pretty much parking is already a dead duck unless you get to the station before 6am. I could understand if this was ringwood or something but that station is well beyond a feasible park and ride in location and there are plenty of bus options around that area.

That Middleborough road is a real dos breakfast, almost easier to completely go around it. Bu
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:15 pm
antigee wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:21 pm

1/No net loss of parking
2/ Be all off road
The parking thing is a bit of a funny one. Pretty much parking is already a dead duck unless you get to the station before 6am. I could understand if this was ringwood or something but that station is well beyond a feasible park and ride in location and there are plenty of bus options around that area.

That Middleborough road is a real dos breakfast, almost easier to completely go around it. Bu
My understanding is that the shared path on the east side of the road edit that is the section next to the road above the rail line will at some point be widened....the entry from the north is a poor compromise dictated by signalling equipment under the trail and it being too expensive to move dig deeper like the ramps under the road a poor compromise believe the ramp design dictated by needing to keep space for a future additional track ....building trails adjacent to railways works because sometimes space is available and it's a lot lot lot easier than taking car space ..... on a sort of lighter note I always like the juxtaposition of Cemetery Entrance 90m and End of Shared Path signs on the western side

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:33 am

I briefly considered using this path as part of my commute home, as I just moved house, and it's roughly on my way home now. I decided not to, because any path that has 5 level road crossings over 10km of path (3 of these over major roads) just isn't practicable to use. What a mess that path is. :roll: I'll be sticking to using the Koonung Creek Trail, which is one of the best shared paths in Melbourne. It adds distance to my commute, but it's much better to use, because it goes under/over almost all roads it crosses, which makes a huge difference to its useability.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:08 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:33 am
I briefly considered using this path as part of my commute home, as I just moved house, and it's roughly on my way home now. I decided not to, because any path that has 5 level road crossings over 10km of path (3 of these over major roads) just isn't practicable to use. What a mess that path is. :roll: I'll be sticking to using the Koonung Creek Trail, which is one of the best shared paths in Melbourne. It adds distance to my commute, but it's much better to use, because it goes under/over almost all roads it crosses, which makes a huge difference to its useability.
I used this path between the Laburnum and Ringwood stations yesterday on my way home. The sections between the road crossings are OK, although whoever decided that concrete sections instead of smooth, continuous bitumen is good design for a cycling path is an idiot. Of the way too many road crossings, the Springvale Rd and Mitcham Rd crossings were the worst, because they clearly give priority to the almighty motor vehicle instead of the sustainable transport, typical of Australia.