Is there a difference in muscle groups that could affect a performance when going from road to Tri bike

Johnnyboy

Is there a difference in muscle groups that could affect a performance when going from road to Tri bike

Postby Johnnyboy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:55 pm

Always stuck to my SL6 S Works Tarmac, but now as I'm doing more 1/2 Ironmans and am moving to full distance, I bought a Cervelo P3X. Hooked it up to my wahoo kickr and am feeling as if my endurance has been cut or at least some of my strength has been decreased. Can this be attributed to the different bike? (I know this may sound ridiculous)
Just for a note, these are the same sets that Im doing, and I was doing them fine last week
Cheers

MattyK

Re: Is there a difference in muscle groups that could affect a performance when going from road to Tri bike

Postby MattyK » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:12 pm

DIfferent position on the bike usually leads to a change in FTP. This can usually be gained back with training (apparently). A poor bike fit can also affect power more.

Johnnyboy

Re: Is there a difference in muscle groups that could affect a performance when going from road to Tri bike

Postby Johnnyboy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:42 pm

MattyK wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:12 pm
DIfferent position on the bike usually leads to a change in FTP. This can usually be gained back with training (apparently). A poor bike fit can also affect power more.
Cheers, the bike shop owes me a proper full works bike fit, but can't get it done due to social distancing and COVID (sigh) will have to wait until the restrictions come off I guess
Meanwhile this could be a good thing to drive my ftp up

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Are they a reputable fitting shop?
Read this if you haven't: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Roa ... _3595.html

In the meantime, you can get lots of excellent free bike fit feedback on the slowtwitch forum if you have access to a stationary trainer and a video camera.

Johnnyboy

Postby Johnnyboy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:36 pm

MattyK wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Are they a reputable fitting shop?
Read this if you haven't: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Roa ... _3595.html

In the meantime, you can get lots of excellent free bike fit feedback on the slowtwitch forum if you have access to a stationary trainer and a video camera.
Yeah they're very reputable don't worry
Thanks

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:45 pm

No worries. Publish the results on Slowtwitch anyway, you won't regret it.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:57 pm

I've just installed some clip-ons on my road bike (in anticipation of some Spring tri's, and from my reading on the topic you could expect a typical drop in FTP on first moving to aerobars of 15%ish.

With time in position, you can probably train back to within 5%. More focussed training in the aero position might narrow the gap even closer.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:33 pm

While this is an older thread I will add the word ‘comfort’. Perhaps ‘discomfort’ is mote appropriate though.

For positioning there is a balancing act to get to the most aerodynamic position but you also need to maintain a position so preference will be given to having a slightly less aero position... but one that you can hold for the duration.

With discomfort / pain there is also that psycological effect as well and you can loose focus and intensity.

With bike fits, humans are ofen very forgiving but the initial position that works for 10 or 15 minutes slso need to be tested for full duration rides.
Cycling is in my BNA