Feeling Old and Decrepit

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
P!N20

Re: Feeling Old and Decrepit

Postby P!N20 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:22 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:31 pm
Feeling exhausted, that’s what.

Don't worry, I did 15 reps of a nearby hill this morning then went home and vomited. :mrgreen:

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:27 am

P!N20 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:22 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Don't worry, I did 15 reps of a nearby hill this morning then went home and vomited. :mrgreen:
That's dedication. The last time I did it on a bike was a time trial around ten years ago.

I almost threw up the other week, but that was because of having too much Carolina Reaper on my breakfast. :roll:

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 pm

RhapsodyX wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:27 am
P!N20 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:22 pm
g-boaf wrote:

That's dedication. The last time I did it on a bike was a time trial around ten years ago.

I almost threw up the other week, but that was because of having too much Carolina Reaper on my breakfast. :roll:

You had what????????????????? :shock:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:43 am

Yesterday's ride home from work, had a bit of a headwind but not too bad but it really made me think seriously about giving up any idea of bicycle touring which was the reason I bought the Vivente in the first place and at the age of 61, feeling it might now be too late to even start getting into it.
I'm thinking maybe while my bike is is in really good nick, possibly selling the Vivente Patagonia with all Ortliebs on it and put that money towards a E-bike of some kind.
I feel I just can't get my endurance up much at all and even after 4kms each way of riding to work and back, I'm knackered!!

I think my early days of smoking has taken it's toll although I gave them up 4 yrs ago now but still I'd been smoking since 15.

Since I had Cellulitis on my left leg about 5 years ago, my leg hadn't been the same since and it's the same side as my recent hip replacement although I don;t feel any pain or discomfort, I do feel a weakness on my left side. I can't put the same energy to the pedals from my left leg as I can with my right although my right side has always been the default side all my life but the disparity of power can be felt a lot more now.

Considering the majority of my working life has been sitting behind the wheel of a truck/ bus or car, i don't think my back can now cope with crawling into or out of a small hiking tent....so I'm probably going to sell off all my camping gear and just stick to day rides or hotels.

Dear God, can you perhaps just spin the clock back say about....40 years so I can start again :roll:

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:43 am
Brumby, Never too late to start (or continue)

As CLAUS CZYCHOLL says regarding the 2015 PBP 1200, (almost 73 when he said it and he fronted up again in 2019),
"..If you can't go on, just keep on going"..."don't let up, talk to yourself, the goal is Paris!" (ok maybe Wolli Creek), "...otherwise you could just stay at home, look out the window and wait for the day to pass..."

But if you really feel it's getting too much then an e-bike is way better than not riding at all and no shame at all, my next door neighbour road his e-bike until he was 93 and enjoyed every minute

Watch the trailer (free), https://vimeo.com/ondemand/brevet/151520825?autoplay=1
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:52 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am

But if you really feel it's getting too much then an e-bike is way better than not riding at all and no shame at all, my next door neighbour road his e-bike until he was 93 and enjoyed every minute
Yep, I agree. No shame in an ebike if it keeps you riding.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:13 am

brumby33 wrote:
Yesterday's ride home from work, had a bit of a headwind but not too bad but it really made me think seriously about giving up any idea of bicycle touring which was the reason I bought the Vivente in the first place and at the age of 61, feeling it might now be too late to even start getting into it.
I'm thinking maybe while my bike is is in really good nick, possibly selling the Vivente Patagonia with all Ortliebs on it and put that money towards a E-bike of some kind.
I feel I just can't get my endurance up much at all and even after 4kms each way of riding to work and back, I'm knackered!!

I think my early days of smoking has taken it's toll although I gave them up 4 yrs ago now but still I'd been smoking since 15.

Since I had Cellulitis on my left leg about 5 years ago, my leg hadn't been the same since and it's the same side as my recent hip replacement although I don;t feel any pain or discomfort, I do feel a weakness on my left side. I can't put the same energy to the pedals from my left leg as I can with my right although my right side has always been the default side all my life but the disparity of power can be felt a lot more now.

Considering the majority of my working life has been sitting behind the wheel of a truck/ bus or car, i don't think my back can now cope with crawling into or out of a small hiking tent....so I'm probably going to sell off all my camping gear and just stick to day rides or hotels.

Dear God, can you perhaps just spin the clock back say about....40 years so I can start again :roll:

brumby33
Your body has a lifetime of habits and inactivity to overcome.
I believe it can certainly improve but it will take time and activity that has a more structured regularity.
It is unrealistic to expect a few kms of activity every now and then to result in much athletic improvement.
Obviously you will be guided by what your body can achieve at the present time but start low and easy.
Make it regular and gradually increase the training load as your body responds and adapts.
It will respond and adapt to a higher level than it is currently, but it is your body and mind that will largely determine what that level will be.
Remember it is a big change from what it is used to so it will take time, persistence and patience.
I reckon if you give it that you will be rewarded with better fitness and energy that may also make other aspects of your life better.
Certainly worth a determined effort I reckon.
Stay on board and stay easy and see how you respond slowly.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:56 am

brumby33 wrote:

brumby33
It's going to take a more determined effort with some structure aside from the commute riding which obviously is more about riding to the conditions.

Imagine it being like you've just started out riding and everything feels super difficult. It was when I started - little hills I just go up without a problem these days seemed like a massive struggle. Riding 100km - never! 15km seemed like a big distance. It's just little steps in progression.

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:35 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 pm
RhapsodyX wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:27 am

You had what????????????????? :shock:
Well... you can't buy fresh Pepper-X in Australia. You can buy Reaper in Coles.

(Local shops had a chili eating competition, I looked at the challenges and said "hell no!". Reaper is where they START.)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 pm

This was mentioned recently:

https://www.fisiocrem.com.au/what-is-fisiocrem/

I've tried it out after ending up with some pretty sore legs (lots of riding). It works really well. :o

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:01 pm
There's also a fair bit of smoke hangin' round too boaf from some burn-offs through the week and I think there might've been a fire down Wollongong way so I elected not to ride also.
I had to get my car serviced and rego checked yesterday (Fri) so I thought rather than hang around waiting on my day off, I decided to take my camera with me, went by train to take some shots around the Botanical gardens in Sydney City, absolutely stunning this time of the year. I'm no green thumb but i can appreciate good gardening work...as long as it wasn't me doing it :lol:
Anyway, the amount of walking I did even surprised me and boy am I feeling it today, every bloody muscle has made itself present and accounted for today.......so you're not alone g-boaf that's for sure :roll:

brumby33
I’m suffering again with sinus issues. I’m trying out a big air filter (it’s a very expensive unit) with a couple of monster filters. I’m seeing if that will make a difference, will know tomorrow.

It makes a soft hum at low speed which isn’t intrusive.

I didn’t go outside at all today - kept the house shut up to try and keep out the smoke.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:49 pm

They doing controlled burning down there too g-boaf?

I also understand you're going to have some pretty chilly weather down there...looks like an early Winter on it's way.

I'm presently up North of Coffs Harbour sorting out the Parent's property ready to put to market and it's been a toiling 2 weeks so far but the weather has been rather nice even though overcast but usually in the 24C.

I seen a few cyclists getting around with those Gas Mask type masks with the 2 round external filters in Sydney when they were doing some burn-offs. I'm not sure they are the ones you mean.

Hope it works out real good for you mate, let us know if it made a difference.

After the cleaning up the life of 43 years of Parents living in one house, I'm officially decrepit....I'm pretty sure of it :lol:

I never wanna go through that again.....not only emotionally but it's backbreaking work shifting old wardrobes and cabinets.

And I'm sure my Mom has kept every birthday and Xmas cards sent to her since 1947.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 05, 2021 5:21 am

brumby33 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:49 pm

I also understand you're going to have some pretty chilly weather down there...looks like an early Winter on it's way.

I'm presently up North of Coffs Harbour sorting out the Parent's property ready to put to market and it's been a toiling 2 weeks so far but the weather has been rather nice even though overcast but usually in the 24C.

I seen a few cyclists getting around with those Gas Mask type masks with the 2 round external filters in Sydney when they were doing some burn-offs. I'm not sure they are the ones you mean.

After the cleaning up the life of 43 years of Parents living in one house, I'm officially decrepit....I'm pretty sure of it :lol:

I never wanna go through that again.....not only emotionally but it's backbreaking work shifting old wardrobes and cabinets.

And I'm sure my Mom has kept every birthday and Xmas cards sent to her since 1947.

Cheers

brumby33
I seem to have slept better, woke up with no headache this morning.

https://inovaairpurifiers.com.au/produc ... n-e20-plus

Let’s see how things are going forward. If you leave it at 2 it’s hardly audible- maybe just like air conditioning running. If you crank it up it is fairly loud but fine for daytime use.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:34 am

g-boaf wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:21 am
brumby33 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:49 pm

Cheers

brumby33
I seem to have slept better, woke up with no headache this morning.

https://inovaairpurifiers.com.au/produc ... n-e20-plus

Let’s see how things are going forward. If you leave it at 2 it’s hardly audible- maybe just like air conditioning running. If you crank it up it is fairly loud but fine for daytime use.

Oh man I feel like an idiot right now....NOW I know what you meant......i was thinking of those masks I've seen those cyclists use during high pollution levels in the city with the Gas mask look.....wasn't even thinking of these purifiers.

I use a CPAP machine with a filter that allows me to breath fresh air and keeps my airways clear as I'll snore the house down otherwise. Been using one now for well over 10 years and I love it.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:34 pm

Well today being an absolutely gorgeous day outside and it appeared I was getting under the Mrs feet so she had no complaint when I said I might go somewhere for a ride.
It's been about 3 Months since I had ridden the Vivente and it's been begging me for weeks to take it for a spin....I've pumped up the tyres on it more time than I've ridden it but I always like it to be ready.....

So I rode it to my local train station and got off at Museum station at the cnr of Elizabeth and Liverpool st (Syd) and rode to Moore Park, down through Driver Ave past the SCG and through the entertainment area of Fox Studios. There was quite a few eateries open so I thought I'l have some lunch first, so after an Oporto Bondi Burger I rode a couple of laps of Centennial park, Then I headed back to Central Station.

I knew I was slow when a 13-ish girl riding a traditional girl's bike chatting on her mobile as she was over taking me with no effort whatso-ever and here's me thinking about the possibility that I may have to relent and think about an e-bike soon.....but then I decided that was blasphemous thinking....I'm not that knackered yet...or am I :shock:

I know I now need a new seat, the WTB seat on there now is leaking gel. I've never liked that seat so I wonder if I'm game enough to order a Brooks B17 or the Brooks with the Springs at the back. Anyone have experience with those?

I've lost none of the passion to get out there and tour on my bike for this is what I bought it for, but as I've gotten older and having had a hip replacement, I'm somewhat lacking in confidence in my ability to make it home in case I venture too far.
I want to rely on myself, my ability without having to rely on Battery power, yes that makes it easy but no real personal challenge.

For a start, a decent e-bike is around $4-5K but with that kind of money I can also buy a state of the art new version of My bike with Rolhoff gearing and belt drive, making it almost virtually maintenance free. Vivente are totally out of stock till late this year apparently.

I'm having no pain when riding (except for my arse) no knee or hip issues, my Prosthetic hip is moving along nicely. I noticed my leg power has gone to poo since I rode last, doing power starts are not an event I feel I can participate in :lol:

I'd love to ride in my own area but the traffic around here is manic, King Georges Road being one of the heaviest traffic roads you could ever try to cross, I feel safer taking the train and riding around the City and Eastern Suburbs than I do in the Georges River LGA, almost no bike infrastructure at all except the bikeway beside the M5, but then the battle to get there from where I live, is quite daunting.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:49 pm

If, you have no pain in the major joints, you don't need an "E-bike" for riding! :wink: Get rid of the negative thoughts and start backing yourself. :idea: I couldn't give a flying fig who passes me in my unfit state, it's all about getting out and riding. :wink: I would/never ask anyone, if it was okay to jump on the bike and go for a ride, that's, my, happy place and anyone that's wants to deny me that, enjoyment, better be ready for some feed back about mental health and my, happy place. :wink:

Get on your bike, when you, want and enjoy life, because you are a long time dead! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:52 pm

Sorry if the above post seems very blunt but I'm sick of bowing to other people and their selfish ways/thoughts. I work stupidly long and crazy hours for my age and I resent, with a passion, anyone telly me if it is okay for me, to have a ride. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:11 pm

Nah Foo, I'm with you there mate, it's not so much anyone denying me to ride, if anything it's usually myself denying myself to get out there and enjoy myself. And yeah I do feel great after a ride, it's just convincing myself to get out there.

I've always wanted to ride the M7 but just concerned that if I get stuck out there, how in the hell would I get back because I can't get my wife to rescue me as she doesn't know that part of Sydney.

I think the bike enjoyed todays outing as much as I did....I just gotta get my backside used to a saddle again.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:50 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:34 pm
.......I rode a couple of laps of Centennial park, Then I headed back to Central Station.

......was over taking me with no effort whatso-ever ...... if I'm game enough to order a Brooks B17 or the Brooks with the Springs at the back. Anyone have experience with those?
brumby33
I ride a bit in centennial Park, was there today too from mid-day till 3 ish. I get overtaken all the time by e-scooters and e-skateboards and inline skaters and most of the bikes except the toddlers on bikes who don't look like they are old enough to walk.

I have a B17 (imperial) that has about 2,000kms on it and I have put it in the "not-for-me bin" in the garage, happy to pass it over to you as I am not going to use it, we can meetup in centennial or near central , if it works for you then you have saved the first couple of hundred towards a e-bike in 10 or 20 years,,,

Great that you got out and about, now try for a few times a week...

PS, I posted this last week in another thread...

You might have to get Dr Google to translate
https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 47610.html
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:02 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:11 pm
Nah Foo, I'm with you there mate, it's not so much anyone denying me to ride, if anything it's usually myself denying myself to get out there and enjoy myself. And yeah I do feel great after a ride, it's just convincing myself to get out there.

I've always wanted to ride the M7 but just concerned that if I get stuck out there, how in the hell would I get back because I can't get my wife to rescue me as she doesn't know that part of Sydney.

I think the bike enjoyed todays outing as much as I did....I just gotta get my backside used to a saddle again.

brumby33
I don't know if the train is an option, but Rooty Hill station is pretty much right next door to the M7. Other people actually just drive out there and part at the M7 service-center office parking on the weekends.

Hope you do get out there. 8)

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:16 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:50 pm
brumby33 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:34 pm
.......I rode a couple of laps of Centennial park, Then I headed back to Central Station.

......was over taking me with no effort whatso-ever ...... if I'm game enough to order a Brooks B17 or the Brooks with the Springs at the back. Anyone have experience with those?
brumby33
I ride a bit in centennial Park, was there today too from mid-day till 3 ish. I get overtaken all the time by e-scooters and e-skateboards and inline skaters and most of the bikes except the toddlers on bikes who don't look like they are old enough to walk.

I have a B17 (imperial) that has about 2,000kms on it and I have put it in the "not-for-me bin" in the garage, happy to pass it over to you as I am not going to use it, we can meetup in centennial or near central , if it works for you then you have saved the first couple of hundred towards a e-bike in 10 or 20 years,,,

Great that you got out and about, now try for a few times a week...

PS, I posted this last week in another thread...

You might have to get Dr Google to translate
https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 47610.html
Cheers Late starter, thankyou for the offer, I wouldn't mind trying the B17 but next week I'm having to go to the Goldie to look at a townhouse so when I get back the following week, I'll drop you a PM and see if we can meet up somewhere. I am in the process of moving away from Sydney once we find somewhere to live in this mad real estate climate....so not sure what is going to happen next.

It's possible that you might've been one of the dozens of road bikes that over took me in Centennial park making me look like I was sitting up on blocks :lol: I was riding around there about that time, possibly just past midday. There were a lot of families riding those 4 wheeler bikes today, they were the only ones I could overtake hahaha. I was on a black Tourer with 2 Ortlieb panniers on the back and a handlebar bag on the front.

So you did 2,000kms on the B7 and couldn't make it work for you? I thought they were supposed mould into your backside and 2,000kms should've been well and truly enough time.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:02 pm
brumby33 wrote:

brumby33
I don't know if the train is an option, but Rooty Hill station is pretty much right next door to the M7. Other people actually just drive out there and part at the M7 service-center office parking on the weekends.

Thanks g-boaf, so there's easy access from rooty hill station? I'm in the process of looking at moving away from Sydney, hopefully around the Gold Coast. I was also considering Melbourne but we had a few days down there and decided it wasn't for us, even though we loved going down there. We were a bit aghast at the amount of ugly graffitti there was in Melbourne, not only on the rail corridors but all over the place. Lots of scribble over the nicer art work is a mess. But they do have a much better cycling culture than Sydney from what I've seen.

One place we spent 2 days and really liked the layout, the facilities and apparently lots of cycling tracks and wide safe roads is Albury on the border with Wodonga, what a beautiful city and is another place of interest to move to.

I love travelling on trains with the bike....costs me nothing as I have a Gold Card. If Sydney wasn't so expensive, I'd stay here.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:36 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:28 pm
g-boaf wrote:
brumby33 wrote:

brumby33

Thanks g-boaf, so there's easy access from rooty hill station? I'm in the process of looking at moving away from Sydney, hopefully around the Gold Coast. I was also considering Melbourne but we had a few days down there and decided it wasn't for us, even though we loved going down there. We were a bit aghast at the amount of ugly graffitti there was in Melbourne, not only on the rail corridors but all over the place. Lots of scribble over the nicer art work is a mess. But they do have a much better cycling culture than Sydney from what I've seen.

One place we spent 2 days and really liked the layout, the facilities and apparently lots of cycling tracks and wide safe roads is Albury on the border with Wodonga, what a beautiful city and is another place of interest to move to.

I love travelling on trains with the bike....costs me nothing as I have a Gold Card. If Sydney wasn't so expensive, I'd stay here.

Cheers

brumby33
Yeah, it's easy, just a short ride 750m up a side street from the station.

You'll also get to know Jas My Waffles for coffee and their very nice people who work there.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/nqh6aRhbS53qQ52Y7

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:47 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:36 pm
brumby33 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Cheers

brumby33
Yeah, it's easy, just a short ride 750m up a side street from the station.

You'll also get to know Jas My Waffles for coffee and their very nice people who work there.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/nqh6aRhbS53qQ52Y7
Cheers g-boaf, I think I'll need a coffee by the time I train it from Beverly Hills to Rooty Hill :lol:

VWR Patagonia 2017

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:16 pm

brumby33 wrote:
We were a bit aghast at the amount of ugly graffitti there was in Melbourne, not only on the rail corridors but all over the place. Lots of scribble over the nicer art work is a mess.

We call it ‘street art’ :wink: