Re: New road bike. What's your desire ?

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:56 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:15 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:26 pm
Pics ?

Coming. Recommended image hosting?

PS, would people recommend protective film for a roadie? It's assumed you will do it in the MTB scene, not sure if folks bother with it for road.
ImageBB is the one I use (comes up at top of google search for “free image hosting”, only reason I use it.

I don’t use protective tape

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:22 pm

:lol: What a doofus. Turns out I already have an ImgBB account. Fortunately, my LastPass password repository remembered the details.

Anyway, here 'tis. Seatpost and stem heights still need to be set, and it's likely I'll swap over the cranks to the Rotor 3D+ set with the Power2Max power meter, and fit a zero setback seat post. The pink is a bit washed out in this photo.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:18 pm

I would take the slightly less desirable paint scheme for 400g. Looks like a great bike.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:34 pm

Looks good 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:16 am

fancy

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 am

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:20 am

Looks good. 8)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:47 pm

Grrr! Just discovered the BB30-compatible Rotor 3D+ cranks are 5mm too narrow for the PF30a bottom bracket on the new bike.

Should have checked instead of assuming. :evil:

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:40 am

Really? I was under the impression that the rotor cranks should fit any BB as they're all designed for wider shells (eg BB386).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:25 pm

Those pesky ‘a’ from Cannondale …

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:25 pm
The pesky 'a' though is only in relation to making the width 73mm rather than 68 - the Rotor was (at least AFAIK) designed to fit up to 86mm wide (BB386), I didn't think their cranks were designed to fit only a BB30/PF30 BB.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:30 am

2wheels_mond wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:11 pm
MichaelB wrote:
The pesky 'a' though is only in relation to making the width 73mm rather than 68 - the Rotor was (at least AFAIK) designed to fit up to 86mm wide (BB386), I didn't think their cranks were designed to fit only a BB30/PF30 BB.
Depends what the Rotor crank vintage is afaik.

TG will have to update, but he knows his stuff

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:30 am
2wheels_mond wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:11 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Depends what the Rotor crank vintage is afaik.

TG will have to update, but he knows his stuff

I've discovered I can get spacers in different widths. I whipped the Hollowgram crankset off today, and re-tried a test fit of the Rotor 3D+ with Power2Max spider, this time with only the 11.5mm drive side spacer in place.

The vernier tells me I need 5.6mm on the non-drive side. The gap between the crank ends and the chainstays is identical on each side with this setup, so I have confidence it's the correct choice.

5mm will get me by with the pre-load dial in a pinch. I found one for $6.00 on BikeBug to add to my already partly filled cart. MInd you, this was *after* I'd ordered a pair of Wahoo PM pedals for $1400 in a fit of grumpiness last night. :roll:

Ah, well. They can go on the wet weather bike. Unfortunately, on that bike the diameter of the carbon face surrounding the BB386EVO bearings is too wide, causing the back of the P2M spider to rub on it, so I couldn't use that crankset on that bike. :cry:

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:38 pm

I bought some BB30 spacers on ebay for about $6 each, they come in 3, 2 & 1 mm variants.

Same issue trying to fit a 386evo crankset to a caad12. To make it more frustrating I have the FSA spacers for a BB30 frame but the green coloured ones for BB30a are not in stock in most stores and I aint paying $40 shipping for a part that would fit in an envelope.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:59 am

lone rider wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:38 pm
I bought some BB30 spacers on ebay for about $6 each, they come in 3, 2 & 1 mm variants.

Same issue trying to fit a 386evo crankset to a caad12. To make it more frustrating I have the FSA spacers for a BB30 frame but the green coloured ones for BB30a are not in stock in most stores and I aint paying $40 shipping for a part that would fit in an envelope.

I'll end up going the eBay route for the correct width spacer, but like you I'm not interested in paying north of $50 for a $20 parts pack, or in the alternative of waiting 3 months for it to turn up from China so I can ride my bike. This gets me by as a temporary workaround. :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:10 pm

Took it for a spin to work today. I learned that when they said to use liberal amounts of carbon paste around the seatpost clamp area, they meant it :lol: A lunchtime trip to Jet Cycles sorted me out, fortunately, so I wasn't pedalling with my knees around my ears on the way home.

There are tweaks to make to cockpit setup, such as lowering it a bit and adjusting lever reach, but it was an interesting experience.

* The Ultegra brakes are awesome. Significantly more powerful from the hoods than my rim brakes ever were from the drops, and with much better modulation too.
* Spins up to cruising speed more easily than the CAAD9, despite the latter having a pretty light Bracciano wheelset.
* It then seems to want to keep going. Too early to put a number on that, though.
* Much stiffer than the CAAD9, which is like a comfy lounge chair by comparison, but more compliant than my carbon Jamis CX bike, which is so overbuilt it has all the compliance of a brick. :lol: Summary: not worse, just different. Switching out from butted to a CX-Ray spoked wheelset will improve things.
* Too early to tell what it's like with cornering etc. More to come on that subject, but no vices noted.

Now, speaking about wheels, the hubs I ordered turned up today. Just as well I waited for their arrival before ordering the rims. The front hub came as a 24H unit, not the 20H one I ordered. :x 24H is the 'safer', more conservative option for front disc braked wheels so I might just roll with it rather than go through the hassle of sending it back to Holland.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:37 am

Sounds good.

Sometimes a new bike 'feels' different, but hard to put a finger on one specific thing. Same with comparing the Llewellyn to the Cinelli - very different, but both good great friggin brilliant :mrgreen:

Bugger about the hubs, but think 24 spoke is 4 more reasons to brake harder !!!

What tyres are you running (now and future) ?

Cheers & ENJOY !!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:43 am

trailgumby wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:10 pm
Took it for a spin to work today. I learned that when they said to use liberal amounts of carbon paste around the seatpost clamp area, they meant it :lol: A lunchtime trip to Jet Cycles sorted me out, fortunately, so I wasn't pedalling with my knees around my ears on the way home.

There are tweaks to make to cockpit setup, such as lowering it a bit and adjusting lever reach, but it was an interesting experience.

* The Ultegra brakes are awesome. Significantly more powerful from the hoods than my rim brakes ever were from the drops, and with much better modulation too.
* Spins up to cruising speed more easily than the CAAD9, despite the latter having a pretty light Bracciano wheelset.
* It then seems to want to keep going. Too early to put a number on that, though.
* Much stiffer than the CAAD9, which is like a comfy lounge chair by comparison, but more compliant than my carbon Jamis CX bike, which is so overbuilt it has all the compliance of a brick. :lol: Summary: not worse, just different. Switching out from butted to a CX-Ray spoked wheelset will improve things.
* Too early to tell what it's like with cornering etc. More to come on that subject, but no vices noted.

Now, speaking about wheels, the hubs I ordered turned up today. Just as well I waited for their arrival before ordering the rims. The front hub came as a 24H unit, not the 20H one I ordered. :x 24H is the 'safer', more conservative option for front disc braked wheels so I might just roll with it rather than go through the hassle of sending it back to Holland.
That's a wonderful bike. Jet are a good shop, used to be my LBS until I moved west.

Modern disc brakes are amazing, just feel so nice compared to the rim brakes (and I had the best ones of those on the other bikes).

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 am

An interesting difference comparing the Power2Max spider based power meter to the Wahoo pedals. The latter give true right/left split compared to the estimation from the P2M. Wahoo tells me I have a 46/54% L/R split, where P2M estimates that to be 40/60.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:05 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:43 am
That's a wonderful bike. Jet are a good shop, used to be my LBS until I moved west.

My only beef with them is the high street pricing - no doubt driven by the high street rents forced on them. Suburban Specialized dealers are much more amenable to a bit of discounting.

That said, they're the only workshop where I've noticed *any* of the mechanics use a torque wrench when working on bikes, let alone all of them. Major kudos from me to whoever runs that operation for setting that professional discipline in place.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:53 am

New Canyon Ultimate is out, disc brakes and 6.2kg in the CFR version. Quite nice.

Still has that typical Canyon Ultimate clean look as well.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:17 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:53 am
New Canyon Ultimate is out, disc brakes and 6.2kg in the CFR version. Quite nice.

Still has that typical Canyon Ultimate clean look as well.
and your only choice on the high end models is to route the cables through the headset. yeah no

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:44 pm

Well I finally stopped procrastinating and had a good look around a few of the companies that put together titanium bikes. After looking around I figured I need mounting for a rack (I use a panier) and I would like mudguards.

Most of my cycling is commuting but I figure I will retire in maybe 5 years and I want a bike to ride when I retire.

So, I have been in contact with Auren bikes, got a quote, made a few changes which added to the price, and am looking at getting one of their bikes. I'm going fancy and looking at Campag Record mechanical gears and hydraulic discs. Time to go and get sized up and order :D

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:05 am

Cool. Never heard of them before. Aussie based ?