Kids bike for Christmas

hangfire

Kids bike for Christmas

Postby hangfire » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi all,

My 8yr old is outgrowing his 20 inch giant veer 3 speed internally geered. And I was thinking of getting him a new bike for Christmas.
I got my 6 yr old a byk when she got too big for the huffy she had training wheels on, also a 3speed.
I am not going to be off-roading with him so thought flat bar style bike that can handle a riding path or road.
2 main questions
1 does anyone have any specific recommendations?
2 where the heck is going to have stock that I could try him on when we get back out of lockdown?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

find_bruce

Re: Kids bike for Christmas

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:56 pm

hangfire wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:36 pm
Hi all,

My 8yr old is outgrowing his 20 inch giant veer 3 speed internally geered. And I was thinking of getting him a new bike for Christmas.
I got my 6 yr old a byk when she got too big for the huffy she had training wheels on, also a 3speed.
I am not going to be off-roading with him so thought flat bar style bike that can handle a riding path or road.
2 main questions
1 does anyone have any specific recommendations?
2 where the heck is going to have stock that I could try him on when we get back out of lockdown?
Welcome outside hangfire - plenty of choices for 24” bikes, but as you’ve noticed the tough thing will be finding what’s in stock. Whereabouts are you?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:00 pm

I'm in se suburbs of Melbourne
2015 Giant Cross City 0

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:26 pm

hangfire wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:00 pm
I'm in se suburbs of Melbourne
Push your target price up as much as possible and buy as early as possible and get on the phones and interwebs. I got a Jamis 24" from Ivanhoe cycles for an August birthday, probably the most expensive 24" they had but compared to my bikes it was cheap and we have done tons of rides, he has had a 20 day dirt exploring streak while in lockdown.

Coffee_Jimmy

Postby Coffee_Jimmy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:37 am

We held off as long as possible and ended up skipping the 24in and going straight to a small sized Trek Marlin 5.
Bit more expensive than most 24in bikes out there but he'll be fine on it for many years rather than needing to upgrade again in 2 years.

Only joy is that if you looked after the Giant you have you'll get good money for it second hand.

If you are set on the 24in I'd recommend the giant xtc street which can be had new for under $500.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:17 am

Keep an eye out for second hand. You MIGHT be able to pick up a lightly used 24” from someone upgrading. Unfortunately second hand market is a a bit nuts so they sell quick or are priced a bit high.

Most seem to be mountain bikes so have 21spd and heavy suspension forks, but pretty much all the big brands make much the same quality. Internal geared hubs, skinnier tyres are more rare, but avaaible from time to time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:23 pm

I have 3 kids 8,6 and 4, so whatever we get is likely to get used... this is for the eldest.
I am not tied to giant, middle child has a byk I think is brilliant.
Not doing the offroad stuff, so thinking straight forks if I can get them.
2015 Giant Cross City 0

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:46 pm

At that size I got #1 a Scott Contessa 24 rigid, really nice bike, rigid fork, 1x7 with a twist shifter for ease of use (and a good wide range of gears with an 11-34 cassette) , fat but pretty smooth* tyres to roll well but still cope with some dirt. It's now in the hands of #2 and has been a great bike.

There wasn't many bikes that met the above criteria that I set for myself.

*Kenda small block 8 were stock a couple of years back, they now spec chunkier tyres, 8 speed, and disc brakes, but the rim brakes work really well.

https://www.scott-sports.com/au/en/prod ... rigid-bike
Scott Scale is the "boys" version.
https://www.scott-sports.com/au/en/prod ... =280871222