"Smart" Trainer - TACX Flow?

LateStarter

"Smart" Trainer - TACX Flow?

Postby LateStarter » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:26 pm

I have a very dumb trainer I got years ago which I pretty much hate, feels noting like riding a bicycle, more like stepping through mud but my legs hurt after a few hours on it so it might be doing something.

But recently I have acquired some mid-range "goals", eh I know everyone gets them now and then and if I ignore them they should go away but I would really like to take these seriously and I fear that without some "training" I won't get close.

While my preference is for getting out and doing real riding sometimes that is not possible or the best training use for the time available and so I have been looking at trainers as a second best option. I don't want to spend a fortune, some of the smart trainers cost more than my bike. I like the idea that I can have my Garmin control a trainer and simulate a ride containing all the hard bits. I don't expect to use (pay for) the VR apps with it but who knows. My eye has fallen on a Tacx Flow model which is about the limit of what I would want to spend. Not much opinion (none actually) on here about it, DC Rainmaker says it is nice (for the price).

Any thoughts, the only limit that would concern me is the 6% grade although it will take me a while to get good doing long 6% climbs so more than this may not be an issue (and in real riding I have some very low gears), the 800 watt limit is so far away from my capability that it also won't be an issue, thanks.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Mr Purple

Re: "Smart" Trainer - TACX Flow?

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:29 pm

I'm not sure I'd go for a wheel on trainer in this day and age. It's always difficult to get the resistance right, you often need to change the wheel/tyre and it probably won't be a huge improvement on the dumb trainer you used previously.

This is an older and simple direct drive for $100 more:

https://www.pushys.com.au/jetblack-whis ... ainer.html

And reviews aren't too bad:

https://road.cc/content/review/155393-j ... ve-trainer

Though a Kickr Core will be miles ahead of that, I appreciate they're also twice the price.