Replacement wheels for heavy rider

clydesdaleconvert

Replacement wheels for heavy rider

Postby clydesdaleconvert » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm what I like to describe as an enthusiastic clydesdale rider at 107kg (and dropping) who was lucky enough to pick up a second hand Wilier Gran Turismo last year.

The bike rides beautifully but I've noticed that the rear Fulcrum Racing 3 is starting to lose a few spokes (2 so far). I think it might be time for a replacement wheelset.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good wheelset for a heavier rider under the $1k mark?

Very open to suggestions on Alu/Carbon but I'm conscious of having a rim brakes and don't want to have a blowout due to brake heat.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Kotavelo? These almost seem too good to be true for the price point https://pro-liteoz.com/store/kotavelo-r ... -p127.html and have received some limited, but very good reviews.

Will need to be able to work with a Campy groupset too.

Cheers

Retrobyte

Re: Replacement wheels for heavy rider

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:21 pm

Googled the specs for the Racing 3 and even the Racing Zero - both have a rider weight limit of 109kg, so by the time you add a full water bottle, some tools, and bits and bobs in your jersey pocket you're pushing that limit. A good bang for buck option might be to look at second hand wheelsets on FB marketplace. There are a few brands that don't have a weight limit for most of their wheels - Mavic and DuraAce are two I'm aware of. I fluctuate around 90-92kg so I make sure I look at those specs too when I'm wheel shopping online.

henno

Postby henno » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:57 pm

I am around your weight (102 in my socks this morning) and actually just so happen to have a set of the R42SE. I am only a few hundred KM in and they are fine so far, but it is early days and I know I am on the limits. That said, they have been better than the CXP22's they replaced which had a much higher spoke count but I could bend way out of true quite easily.

That said, if you wanted to stick with Kotovelo their Clydesdale/Tandem rims would be a good bombproof solution if you just wanted to ride and not worry about it. The weight penalty is marginal and arguably inconsequential at our size and weight. https://kotavelo.com.au/store/como-clyd ... elset.html

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 pm

clydesdaleconvert wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:58 pm
Shimano 10s cassettes will work with campy 10s and “old” campy 8/9sp derailleurs.
Shimano 8sp cassettes + derailleurs work with 10sp campy shifters.

11s and beyond I can’t talk to.

But Kotovelo have hubs for both types of cassette for their other wheel sets so an enquire might be in order. Or talk to your local custom wheel maker - especially if your hubs are in good order (and have a reasonable number of spokes)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:38 pm

I previously had a set of r42se wheels, they were nice for the price but we're significant heavier than the website weight (~1960g from memory). Stayed true the whole time I had them.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 pm

clydesdaleconvert wrote:
Hi all,

I'm what I like to describe as an enthusiastic clydesdale rider at 107kg (and dropping) who was lucky enough to pick up a second hand Wilier Gran Turismo last year.

The bike rides beautifully but I've noticed that the rear Fulcrum Racing 3 is starting to lose a few spokes (2 so far). I think it might be time for a replacement wheelset.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good wheelset for a heavier rider under the $1k mark?

Very open to suggestions on Alu/Carbon but I'm conscious of having a rim brakes and don't want to have a blowout due to brake heat.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Kotavelo? These almost seem too good to be true for the price point https://pro-liteoz.com/store/kotavelo-r ... -p127.html and have received some limited, but very good reviews.

Cheers
Heat related blow offs are pretty uncommon even with carbon rims. Unless you find yourself riding down long descents with the brakes on for much of the time. I'd (102kg) also choose the Como wheels on the same site, more spokes are better.

Cheers,

Cameron

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:28 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 pm
clydesdaleconvert wrote:
Shimano 10s cassettes will work with campy 10s and “old” campy 8/9sp derailleurs.
Depends of your interpretaion of "work".... 10s is probably where the greatest difference/worst match lives. Campagnolo cassettes are a decent bit wider than Shimano, and the total cable pull of the shifter is tuned to suit. Additionally, Campag use unequal spacings between sprockets, which will not suit an equally-spaced Shimano or SRAM cassette very well. It is possible to tune a Campag shifter/derailleur set to a Shimano cassette to a functional but rough level; it doesn't go the other way.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:54 pm

Duck! wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:28 pm
Depends of your interpretaion of "work".... 10s is probably where the greatest difference/worst match lives.
Yet it works. Been riding both combinations for years. Maybe it shouldn’t but it’s close enough for jazz.
Agree that a campy compatible hub would be best.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

clydesdaleconvert

Postby clydesdaleconvert » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:09 am

Heat related blow offs are pretty uncommon even with carbon rims. Unless you find yourself riding down long descents with the brakes on for much of the time. I'd (102kg) also choose the Como wheels on the same site, more spokes are better.

Cheers,

Cameron
Yeah I'm a bit wary of the low spoke count. I'll shoot them an email and get some more detail. Thanks!

clydesdaleconvert

Postby clydesdaleconvert » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:10 am

Thoglette wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 pm
clydesdaleconvert wrote:

11s and beyond I can’t talk to.

But Kotovelo have hubs for both types of cassette for their other wheel sets so an enquire might be in order. Or talk to your local custom wheel maker - especially if your hubs are in good order (and have a reasonable number of spokes)
Sorry - should have been more specific. It's an 11sp but I've been reading that a Shimano 11sp will work as well...I'm in a bit of a rabbit hole now.

clydesdaleconvert

Postby clydesdaleconvert » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:15 am

henno wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:57 pm
I am around your weight (102 in my socks this morning) and actually just so happen to have a set of the R42SE. I am only a few hundred KM in and they are fine so far, but it is early days and I know I am on the limits. That said, they have been better than the CXP22's they replaced which had a much higher spoke count but I could bend way out of true quite easily.

That said, if you wanted to stick with Kotovelo their Clydesdale/Tandem rims would be a good bombproof solution if you just wanted to ride and not worry about it. The weight penalty is marginal and arguably inconsequential at our size and weight. https://kotavelo.com.au/store/como-clyd ... elset.html
Keen to hear an extended review of the R42SE. Kotavelo seem to be exceptional value and I'm almost keen to try one of their models as an experiment.

I think a lot of it comes down to riding style as well. I'm very careful of pot holes etc and don't tend to throw my bike around. But 107kg is 107kg.

Thanks for your reply!

clydesdaleconvert

Postby clydesdaleconvert » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:25 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:21 pm
Googled the specs for the Racing 3 and even the Racing Zero - both have a rider weight limit of 109kg, so by the time you add a full water bottle, some tools, and bits and bobs in your jersey pocket you're pushing that limit. A good bang for buck option might be to look at second hand wheelsets on FB marketplace. There are a few brands that don't have a weight limit for most of their wheels - Mavic and DuraAce are two I'm aware of. I fluctuate around 90-92kg so I make sure I look at those specs too when I'm wheel shopping online.
FB market place is a definite option. However, as a heavier rider I'd love something with some warranty attached to it which is my only hesitation.

I'll do a deeper dive into Mavic and DuraAce. I've also looked at Hunt but these seem to get mixed reviews. People seem to love them or hate them.

Thanks for your reply!

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am

I had a set of the Kotavelo Comos back when I was over 100kg and breaking spokes regularly on other wheels. These are rock solid, hubs are easy to service. Recently changed to the RD21HD (now around 95kg), noticeable difference in weight (of the wheels). Speak to Deon

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 am

tallywhacker wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am
I had a set of the Kotavelo Comos back when I was over 100kg and breaking spokes regularly on other wheels. These are rock solid, hubs are easy to service. Recently changed to the RD21HD (now around 95kg), noticeable difference in weight (of the wheels). Speak to Deon
Yeah, he used to be on here back when it was prolite.

Was very good to deal with.
Have had a couple of sets of prolite wheels. No probs and great value.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

clydesdaleconvert

Postby clydesdaleconvert » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:19 am

tallywhacker wrote:
Awesome mate thanks for your reply. They sound like the go at this stage. Very hard to beat at that price point.

clydesdaleconvert

Postby clydesdaleconvert » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:20 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 am
tallywhacker wrote:
Yeah, he used to be on here back when it was prolite.

Was very good to deal with.
Have had a couple of sets of prolite wheels. No probs and great value.
Thanks mate. I think I'll give them a go. I'll make sure to check in once I've had a chance to ride them for a bit. Thanks for your reply!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:31 pm

I used to break spokes almost on a weekly basis.

I bought a couple of sets of Kotavelo tandem wheels for my 2 bikes. I am close to wearing out the rims on one set (around 20,000 KMs) and not 1 broken spoke. My weight has come down a bit but must have been close to 110Kg for a while there, not 1 broken spoke.

Can't recommend them enough, very tough wheels.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:04 am

Craftworx wheels are built strong also and the bloke that makes them, is the original Velocity wheel builder.

https://www.craftworxcycling.com/

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:21 pm

+1 for a hand-built high spoke count wheel/wheelset.

Hadn't mentioned before though, as the budget sort of makes it difficult.

Maybe just a rear wheel ? 32h hub, good spokes and a tough 32h rim.. ?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:47 am

Keep the Fulcrums for when you lose weight. (Ask me how I know this <wink>.)

Mavic Aksiums are a tough wheel, rated to 120kg. Shimano R500/501s will take about any weight.

If you can find something like that or similar 2nd hand, they will do the job. Go back to your Fulcrums in 5-10kgs time.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:15 pm

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Hope-T ... Wheel/H0SY

I have these - open pros are the classic bomb proof wheels. The hope hubs are excellent - 4pawl, so noisy on the freewheel if you like that sound - and fully self-serviceable

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:48 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:15 pm

I have these - open pros are the classic bomb proof wheels. The hope hubs are excellent - 4pawl, so noisy on the freewheel if you like that sound - and fully self-serviceable
Same but with the hope factory built older Pro 3 Mono hubs.
My weight is 80 kgs but never had to touch the hubs or true the rims - used in all weather, on all sorts of roads dirt and tar and come with spare spokes!
The Hopes have done less distance but in a spin time test, still just as smooth and as long as my phil wood hubs of the same age.
No idea why anyone would not buy sealed bearings hubs - no one needs should need to own and know how to use cone spanners in 2021

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:57 pm

baabaa wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:48 pm
<snips>

No idea why anyone would not buy sealed bearings hubs - no one needs should need to own and know how to use cone spanners in 2021
And yet again, we disagree .. :)
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

cyclingnolycra

Postby cyclingnolycra » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:41 pm

Kotavelo are great, as another poster said a bit heavier than the stated weight (not sure why) but otherwise excellent, no issues on my R42's. But I weigh less than 80kg.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:12 am

baabaa wrote: No idea why anyone would not buy sealed bearings hubs - no one needs should need to own and know how to use cone spanners in 2021

Because Shimano's cup and cone hubs are actually sealed from the elements much better than so called sealed cartridge bearings. From my experience they last much longer than cartridges. Replacement bearings if ever needed are just loose balls and don't require special tools for extraction or pressing for installation as with cartridges. The quality of cartridge bearings varies enormously from absolute garbage to very good. High quality ball bearings are cheap and readily available.
Many of Shimano's higher end hubs don't require cone spanners. They utilise a system of an indexed, knurled cone and lock nut slotted interface. Very simple to adjust perfectly.
I'd take quality cup and cones in preference to cartridges any day.