Gravel tyres

531db

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby 531db » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:19 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:00 pm
Well I've read people banging on about panaracer gravelking sk's.
I figured yeah whatever, they've been around a while and people have just got accustomed to them.
Starting to reassess that. Maybe they are good and they are praising them for good reason. :oops:
The front has been on there a few thousand k's, but hey it is a front tyre, they get an easier time of it.
Keeps on keeping on though and not a hint of a puncture with good feels and grip.
The back has only been on there a few hundred k so far but yep, good feel and good grip. Thus far bullet proof like the front has been.
They don't test exceptionally on BRR for puncture resistance but I have had other tyres that test better, that have been fragile (I'm looking at you Tufo). Not sure the BRR puncture score correlates with gravel conditions. :?
Anyway, I will report back how they progress, but very happy so far :)
I've used GK SK's in 38 mm for the past 3 years on over 10,000 km of gravel and crap pavement roads and cannot fault them. I'll probably stay with them in a wider 43 mm on my recently acquired and currently being rebuilt Surly LHT (non disc version).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:55 pm

531db wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:19 pm

I've used GK SK's in 38 mm for the past 3 years on over 10,000 km of gravel and crap pavement roads and cannot fault them. I'll probably stay with them in a wider 43 mm on my recently acquired and currently being rebuilt Surly LHT (non disc version).
Cheers. I have had a bit of trouble seating them. But once seated great, so far :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:35 pm

Managed to somehow puncture a 45mm Cinturato H at Daisy Hill today.

However this time around I had a Dynaplug and a Silca Tattico. So the plug actually worked.

Save your money and just buy the more expensive things first!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:07 pm

531db wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:19 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:00 pm
Well I've read people banging on about panaracer gravelking sk's.
I figured yeah whatever, they've been around a while and people have just got accustomed to them.
Starting to reassess that. Maybe they are good and they are praising them for good reason. :oops:
The front has been on there a few thousand k's, but hey it is a front tyre, they get an easier time of it.
Keeps on keeping on though and not a hint of a puncture with good feels and grip.
The back has only been on there a few hundred k so far but yep, good feel and good grip. Thus far bullet proof like the front has been.
They don't test exceptionally on BRR for puncture resistance but I have had other tyres that test better, that have been fragile (I'm looking at you Tufo). Not sure the BRR puncture score correlates with gravel conditions. :?
Anyway, I will report back how they progress, but very happy so far :)
I am seriously impressed. Grip well, roll well, wear well and tough. Priced better than many others too. :D
I am sticking with em on the front. Going to try a Gravelking SS on the rear next. A bit tougher and withba thicker tread cap but rolls slightly better, even though I'm happy with how the SK rolls.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... el-king-ss

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:48 pm

318km on the Specialized Pathfinder SWorks now - very impressed.

Very mixed terrain - so far they hold 4 KOMs and 12 top 10's including a couple of bitumen road segments and a downhill MTB descent.

One very slight puncture that I didn't even notice - I'd assume from a rock garden. Sealed itself with no need to stop.

I think I've found my gravel tyres!

Not great on sand, but that's probably just a) me, and b) gravel tyres in general.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:51 pm

Nice. I will have to give them a go. :)
Have a few others to get through first though :oops:
Got a gravelking SS on the way to try on the rear.
Will keep the SK on the front for now.

The Pathfinders may grip a bit better, otherwise they seem pretty similar.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... er-s-works

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:24 am

Gravelking ss due to arrive shortly. Will whip the sk off and keep that as a spare. Should give it a run tomorrow if the rain stays away. Been a very wet 24hrs here.

Our old Wuz hasn't minded though. Recuperating after dental work and lump removal.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:26 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:24 am
Gravelking ss due to arrive shortly. Will whip the sk off and keep that as a spare. Should give it a run tomorrow if the rain stays away. Been a very wet 24hrs here.

Our old Wuz hasn't minded though. Recuperating after dental work and lump removal.
Pretending to be a cat !

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:26 pm

Pretending to be a cat !
She misses our old cat :wink: :(
Grew up with him so definitely has some cat characteristics

Tyre has a brown tread. Thought it was tan wall with black tread. Oh well. Seated with a compressor blast. Will see how it goes.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:13 am

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:57 pm

Tyre has a brown tread. Thought it was tan wall with black tread. Oh well. Seated with a compressor blast. Will see how it goes.

Another one trapped by clicking the wrong 'box'.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:22 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:13 am
warthog1 wrote:

Another one trapped by clicking the wrong 'box'.
ccache.
The listing is still there but oos for that size.
It does say brown but the picture provided is of a tan wall with black tread. :roll:

https://ccache.cc/collections/gravel-ty ... tyre-brown

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:27 am

warthog1 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:26 pm

Pretending to be a cat !
She misses our old cat :wink: :(
Grew up with him so definitely has some cat characteristics

Not a fan of the brown tread. I do like the GK SS 650b X 47c tyres I use for wet commutes on the XC. Rolls plenty fast and feels quite nice. Only 1 puncture because I smacked the rim at speed into a curb.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:25 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:22 am
warthog1 wrote:

It does say brown but the picture provided is of a tan wall with black tread. :roll:
That’s a sneaky trick - putting up some alluring tanwall tyre pictures with a different colour item description in the fine print ! :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:54 pm

elantra wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:25 pm
warthog1 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

That’s a sneaky trick - putting up some alluring tanwall tyre pictures with a different colour item description in the fine print ! :lol:
Actually, it's not even that. The ONLY place 'Brown' is mentioned, is in the title. Wrong pic is misleading to the MAX ! I would've sent it back !

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:03 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:54 pm
elantra wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:25 pm
warthog1 wrote:

Actually, it's not even that. The ONLY place 'Brown' is mentioned, is in the title. Wrong pic is misleading to the MAX ! I would've sent it back !
It did p me off a little. Looks a bit crap. Still, with a head like mine you have to learn to disregard aesthetics a bit :wink: :lol:

Oh well it's a back tyre so I don't see it whilst I'm riding and it will wear out soon enough.

Did a hunjy on it on the O'Keeffe today. Gripped fine and rode well. Didn't even take the moulding nipples off it, so it may last a while.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:18 pm

Bugger it. Bought a couple more. :oops:
Hopefully these are the right colour.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Panaracer-F73 ... I3XWZ&th=1

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:22 am

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:18 pm

The 27.6" bit had me chuckling until I saw the 700x38, but why oh why can't they use a standard description !!!

Nice price tho !

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:45 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:22 am
warthog1 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:18 pm

The 27.6" bit had me chuckling until I saw the 700x38, but why oh why can't they use a standard description !!!

Nice price tho !
yes I read it very carefully :oops:
We'll see what turns up this time! :lol:

That had me sorted for tyres for a while anyway.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:13 pm

Hmmm. That butt ugly tyre holed today. On a gravel road. I think a piece of flinty rock punched through it. Plugged it and continued on. Can't be bothered taking it off to patch. Don't want to look at it if I don't have to.
When it comes off it will be binned.

Had a great run-out of gravel king SKs. Same carcass apparently, just a thicker smooth tread cap on the SS.
Hopefully it doesn't hole again.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:37 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:13 pm
Hmmm. That butt ugly tyre holed today. On a gravel road. I think a piece of flinty rock punched through it. Plugged it and continued on. Can't be bothered taking it off to patch. Don't want to look at it if I don't have to.
When it comes off it will be binned.

Had a great run-out of gravel king SKs. Same carcass apparently, just a thicker smooth tread cap on the SS.
Hopefully it doesn't hole again.
Looks almost slick like in the centre of the tyre. Curious as to why you switched from the SKs?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:59 pm

biker jk wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:37 pm

Looks almost slick like in the centre of the tyre. Curious as to why you switched from the SKs?
I've had people say it flicks up gravel. We do a Wed bunch ride and it was on that it was said.
The SS shouldn't do it being almost slick.
The BRR review rates it as better rolling and gives it better puncture resistance.
I am unconvinced by their puncture scores though. The rate Tufo gravel as quite good in that respect too. :shock:

Anyway it grips well enough and rolls well. Have some black treaded goers coming so will stick with SK front (better dirt grip) and SS rear (better rolling).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:47 am

Well, Tufo have upgraded the puncture resistance on their thundero in a new tyre.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... way-xp-pro
If they remain cheap, I may try them at some point. The original goers are a scratching.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:25 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:30 pm
I think they would be a great gravel tyre if you never used them to actually ride on gravel.

They might actually have a use justification somewhere. Maybe somewhere with really, really smooth gravel roads. They are lightening fast, after all. Accidentally set a Daisy Hill top 10 on a reco day today.

What was most disappointing was the failure of the various methods of repair. The Slug Plug tool was useless, the Chris King tubeless valvestem immediately bent on inflation and I still don't know why the new tube had a hole in it.

Ah well. Better to find out then than on some backwoods trail in the middle of nowhere with the ominous sound of banjos somewhere in the background.

Put a Cinturato H 45mm on the back. It looks like it'll survive the apocalypse.
Have you seen the RADL GRVL event that will be on during the TdU on the 19th Jan ? Limited entry and $10k prizemoney !

https://www.radlgrvl.com/

https://www.radlgrvl.com/pricing-route

131km and 1,791m elevation gain (route to be finalised)

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:16 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:25 pm
Have you seen the RADL GRVL event that will be on during the TdU on the 19th Jan ? Limited entry and $10k prizemoney !

Looks like my sort of event but not sure I'd be anywhere near the $10k prize money!

131km in Adelaide in mid January could get a bit interesting temperature wise.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:42 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:16 am
MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:25 pm

Looks like my sort of event but not sure I'd be anywhere near the $10k prize money!

131km in Adelaide in mid January could get a bit interesting temperature wise.
Yep, could be toasty ....