Throttle

Poider

Throttle

Postby Poider » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Hello, Can a throttle be added to any e-bike?, I am buying the Earth T-Rex 650b Trekking, it has a mid drive motor.

familyguy

Re: Throttle

Postby familyguy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Probably, with the right hacking and electronics genius. But they're not made that way. They're a pedal assist system, not a drive system.

Bear in mind the moment you add a throttle-type control probably renders it illegal for any public road or fire trail in Australia. Wiser heads here will know the precise laws.

Poider

Postby Poider » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:28 pm

Thank you, I spend a bit of time on a friend's large property and usually we ride quad bikes or trail bikes, I am interested in taking my E-bike that step further and ride the trails on his land.

Rant coming....
(I know that I can ride my normal pushbike at 60kph with out a worry and as soon as I put on a motor to assist my asthmatic lungs to cope with pedalling that i suddenly become a danger to the public and can only ride at 25kph, I am aware of our dictatorial Governmental regulations that make absolutely no sense what such ever,)
Sorry, rant over

When I originally enquired about E bikes I was told they could have a throttle retro fitted, I am not after speed, just a bit more abity to rest on some of the longer hills

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:18 pm

Short story - if the controller is intended to operate by throttle, it will have a wire to plug into & its a simple job. The earth bike is a company branded motor, so unless you can buy a throttle from that company, the answer is probably not.

There are reports of mechanics refusing to service e-bikes that have been modified & you will have voided any warranty.

Any bike with throttle & 250w is not an e-bike anywhere in Australia - its an unregistered motorbike & if you are unlucky enough to get detected the fines for riding one anywhere in public generally exceed $2,000. In some states its a hoon offence which can see your bike seized.

If you want an electric motorbike to hoon around a mates property, it would be cheaper & easier to start with something designed for that
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Poider

Postby Poider » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:08 pm

No intention to Hoon around, I am in my 50's and have bad asthma, I enjoy the outdoors and would like to continue to enjoy them but as my health is starting to take it's toll, the bigger hills will be out of bounds, as I said I don't want extra speed, I am happy with 25kph, I just would like a little more assistance.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:21 am

Poider wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:08 pm
No intention to Hoon around, I am in my 50's and have bad asthma, I enjoy the outdoors and would like to continue to enjoy them but as my health is starting to take it's toll, the bigger hills will be out of bounds, as I said I don't want extra speed, I am happy with 25kph, I just would like a little more assistance.
I'd be pretty dubious about buying that e-bike. It may be cheap, but it not a known brand and the description doesn't even state what assistance levels are provided.

The mainstream brands offer multiple levels of assistance. There is no need for a throttle, maximum power will be provided when the highest assistance level is selected.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:31 am

Poider wrote:
Therein lies the issue: intended use and capability are two separate things. Yet they sell cars capable of 200km/h+ for use on public roads, which serves your argument of needing more grunt for certain times. As a solution, could you get more assistance by lowering the gearing? You're not going to rip up a hill at 25km/h, but you'll get full assistance power to do it at 15km/h instead. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about how ebike motors work and apply force just yet.

Jim

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:13 pm

One of the advantages of using a pedal assist bike off road is that the 25km/h limit doesn't come into it.

Have you actually ridden a bike with 95nm of torque? You might be pleasantly surprised as to just how much assistance they provide, especially at low speeds
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Poider

Postby Poider » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:40 pm

RonK wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:21 am
Poider wrote:
I'd be pretty dubious about buying that e-bike. It may be cheap, but it not a known brand and the description doesn't even state what assistance levels are provided.

The mainstream brands offer multiple levels of assistance. There is no need for a throttle, maximum power will be provided when the highest assistance level is selected.
This bike has 5 levels of assistance
I didn't think it was cheap, i see it as midrange price for what i want

Poider

Postby Poider » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:13 pm
One of the advantages of using a pedal assist bike off road is that the 25km/h limit doesn't come into it.

Have you actually ridden a bike with 95nm of torque? You might be pleasantly surprised as to just how much assistance they provide, especially at low speeds
I haven't found one with 95nm, but I have ridden one with 60nm and the one I am buying is 85nm, i think it will be enough for what i want

Poider

Postby Poider » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 pm

So I ended up getting an ET cycles F1000.
This bike has a 250W motor, 48v, 21AH, 1008WH Battery.
It has 8 gears and 6 levels of Pedal assist.
The Throttle if being used alone will only do 6kph but will do 25kph if used with the pedals.
I was adamant that I needed a bike with throttle , but I have now disabled the throttle as I do not need it.
This bike has done everything that I have asked of it, without a problem and I am now riding home for work.
Today I rode the 26.8 km home, the usual large hills and it was 30 degrees I was hot but only as much as anyone else wearing long pants and long shirt.
So far this bike has done my wife and I well, I will update this post if anything goes wrong.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:03 pm

Poider wrote: So I ended up getting an ET cycles F1000.
BNA had done a review on this bike 2mths ago.

https://www.bicycles.net.au/2021/10/rev ... and-looks/
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:55 pm

Poider wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 pm
This bike has done everything that I have asked of it, without a problem and I am now riding home for work.
Glad to hear it's all worked out well!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:07 pm

Poider wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 pm
So I ended up getting an ET cycles F1000.
This bike has a 250W motor, 48v, 21AH, 1008WH Battery.
It has 8 gears and 6 levels of Pedal assist.
The Throttle if being used alone will only do 6kph but will do 25kph if used with the pedals.
I was adamant that I needed a bike with throttle , but I have now disabled the throttle as I do not need it.
Today I rode the 26.8 km home, the usual large hills and it was 30 degrees I was hot but only as much as anyone else wearing long pants and long shirt.
So far this bike has done my wife and I well, I will update this post if anything goes wrong.

Ebikes are the future if we want to get more people out of cars and onto bikes, and keep them riding into older age as well :)

Edit - the 6kmh "throttle" is a 'walk assist' mode rather than meant for riding. But it can be used to manoeuvre through tight spaces or around pedestrians when you're being slow and very careful.
I found it helpful to use as a kick start to get moving as it's a heavy bugger, and the motor won't kick in until it detects a certain amount of pedal rotation.

Happy riding.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!