Gravel photos

Mr Purple

Re: Gravel photos

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:53 am

Did an interesting one today - 70km odd hitting up a few scattered gravel reserves in western Brisbane. Toohey Forest, Archerfield Wetlands, Pooh Corner and Oxley Common.

Suprisingly rural a lot of it.

Was particularly impressed by this sign at a park in Corinda.

In what circumstances exactly is a bicycle 'scary and dangerous' but horses perfectly fine? Bizarre, BCC. Yes, I obeyed the sign and moved on despite having detoured a fair way to get there.

There's always a few moments of 'should I actually be riding here?' on any gravel ride in Brisbane. Very unclear signage. Oxley Common, in particular, I'm still not sure about. I don't think I'll be going back there - the tracks are nice and smooth but honestly I didn't feel comfortable being the only cyclist there.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:59 pm

Wanted something that could fit wider tires and had thru axles, picked the Bombtrack up for a song.

She's a little heavy, so climbs are tough work. But everything else is just fun.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:01 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:59 pm
Wanted something that could fit wider tires and had thru axles, picked the Bombtrack up for a song.

She's a little heavy, so climbs are tough work. But everything else is just fun.

Nice one 8)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:44 pm

Yes good score Jase.
Plenty of clearance there.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:46 am

The toughest gravel ride I've done to-date. 143km (84km unsealed) and 2300m of climbing is hard enough but 35 degrees was the killer. Just finished the bike rebuild a day before the ride (well the bar tape, the new GRX groupset had been fitted a few days earlier). All good, with no bike issues.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:23 am

biker jk wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:46 am
The toughest gravel ride I've done to-date. 143km (84km unsealed) and 2300m of climbing is hard enough but 35 degrees was the killer. Just finished the bike rebuild a day before the ride (well the bar tape, the new GRX groupset had been fitted a few days earlier). All good, with no bike issues.
Nice effort on both fronts. 8)
Looks like great country you were riding through.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:54 am

biker jk wrote:
The dry sclerophyll forest around Sydney is just awful in the heat, particularly when shade can be hard to find. Tough going in Spring, well done!
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 am

find_bruce wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:54 am
biker jk wrote:
The dry sclerophyll forest around Sydney is just awful in the heat, particularly when shade can be hard to find. Tough going in Spring, well done!
Indeed the peak temperature was hit in such a forest, half way up the 12km gravel climb heading west to Wombeyan caves.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:18 pm

It was a nice day out there today. A bit windy but otherwise good :)
All of the drivers I encountered on the dirt were good. A bit of bitumen too but fairly quiet bitumen.
120k and 1500m of up. Legs didn't have it today so just tapped along fairly steadily.
Roads were in pretty good nick.
Not doing very much bitumen any more. I'd much rather be away from cars.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:46 pm

Had an enjoyable week up at the Sunshine Coast - honestly some of the nicest and most varied gravel you'll ever find.

Managed to work out a 70km loop from Caloundra which included a variety of singletrack, open forestry roads, farmland, rainforest fire trails and even a decent MTB downhill segment through Sugar Bag reserve. Amazing stuff.

Saw this underpass show repeatedly up on Strava so was expecting something more than a rainwater drain under the Bruce Highway - fortunately I'm short so not much ducking required!

The compulsory upside down burnt car. A sure sign you're on the right track.

As much this as you want in the forestry next to the Bruce.

But the fire trail north of Ewen Maddock dam is way more interesting. 10th overall there, on what was possibly the least appropriate bike.

And 4th overall here - would have taken the KOM but the farmer had all of his five gates closed that day. Bit too tall for a cyclocross style dismount.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:55 pm

Looks good 8)

The compulsory upside down burnt car. A sure sign you're on the right track. :o :lol:

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:42 pm

Last Friday afternoon I headed out for a 44km semi gravel, semi bitumen loop ride. Left in stunning low angle late afternoon golden sunshine and rode through into a stunning long drawn out balmy evening with gorgeous sunset and prolonged twilight. Also had the Harvest Moon rising to look at for the last 20 mins of the ride. Most enjoyable ride I've done since Autumn in NZ back in 2022. Rode past perfumed paddocks of Balansa clover in full flower, huge wafts of dry pine needles riding past the huge plantations and the occasional sweet scent of wild growing roadside honeysuckle. A truly enjoyable ride. Bike did not miss a beat either.

3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:50 pm

^^ you take a great photo 8)
looks mint.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:20 pm

A great way to start a personal long weekend. 30km meander around Mintaro before a couple of bigger rides over the weekend.

Glorious spring weather 8)

Wildlife tally:
4 beautiful Roos
1 brown snake (almost got him again) :shock:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:52 pm

Looks great Michael 8)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:29 pm

Todays jaunt was slightly delayed by a very brief shower, but set off in overcast and cool conditions. Managed 55km with 705m of elevation on about 75% gravel.
Had a good tailwind from Wendouree to Aurburn, which then strengthened to a head & head/cross wind which made the last 20km bloody hard work. Still thoroughly enjoyable.

No snakes, but 3 roos (one a Joey) and plenty of mobile schnitzels and roasts 8).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:18 am

Sunday recoveryish ride.

Spectacular morning !!

Love some of these old original gums. This wasn’t the smallest, but it was easy to get to !!

The result of 420W up 13% and the front wheel going left off a 30mm pebble, and the rear slipping out to the right due to lack of traction and a semi-clip stack at about 8km/hr.

Damn it’s hard restarting up a steep gravel road !!!

About 115km and about 1,800m of elevation over three days of casual and reinvigorating dirt cycling.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:15 pm

Good photos, thanks. Looked good and car free - carefree. :)

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:06 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:15 pm
+1

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:14 pm

Lately I've taken to lengthening my regular gravel loop with a diversion through one of the local pine plantations. I find a solo ride through the pine forest both a spooky and a relaxing experience. Some places deep in the plantation are so dark, isolated and enclosed that I feel like I'm being watched and other places have the most wonderful light and exhibit pure beauty.

It took me a few trips through this pine forest to feel comfortable enough to stop and take some pics. There are plenty of grey kangaroos and wallabies to startle me too! The wide open view is the Otway Ranges - perhaps the prettiest place to view them on my ride.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pcstqv]Image[/url

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:01 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:15 pm
Only a few cars and the odd farm tractor, but the silence for most part was brilliant.

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:45 pm

Another Friday arvo gravel cruise.

This time I rode out to the Old Beechy Rail Trail in the Otway Ranges - south of Colac.

Fabulous location, plenty of variety, differing scenic views etc. I was the only person I saw on the trail - astonishing really for a sunny early November day. Huge amount of twigs and leaf litter on the trail due to the overly windy week before. I stopped in several places and cleared away small fallen trees, branches, logs etc. The upper reaches of the trail looked like my bike was the only one in 7-1- days to lay tracks on the ground.

71.5km in total, 40% of that was riding to the trail head and riding back again. I covered just over half the rail trail length and back - parts were closed due to logging. I used 91% of my battery despite riding large sections un-assisted. I also used 99% of my available leg power but miraculously - no post ride migraine. I'm delighted my e bike has kept my cycling life alive!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:43 pm

open roader wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:45 pm
I'm delighted my e bike has kept my cycling life alive!

Sounds like a winner then and great shots !

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:01 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:43 pm
open roader wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:45 pm
I'm delighted my e bike has kept my cycling life alive!

Sounds like a winner then and great shots !
They are great shots!
Looks like beautiful country to be cycling in :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:53 pm

Originally planned a longer road ride this morning, but feeling a bit flat, swapped in the gravel wheels and hit the dirt this morning. Gee I have some good ideas some times ….

Initial part was in Belair National Park, with a great climb up Queen Jubilee Drive

Then back on to the bitumen to start doing a bit of Mt Lofty via more dirt. Some nice hard packed single trails with plenty of variety

Then headed back down via Bartrill Spur Track and Chambers Gully.
Last times I went down (& up) here was either with the Slate or the GT Xizang. The winter had exposed many more rocks and created many washouts and gutters.
A bit too rough & steep for a gravel bike piloted by a novice. It’s really a decent MTB track now !!