Commonwealth Games.

foo on patrol

Commonwealth Games.

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:12 pm

Been enjoying the Track Cycling, even though we aren't going as good as we could. :( NZL is the shinning light for me and I commented on their FB page some years ago trhat I liked what they were doing with their program and would/should see results in the coming years. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Re: Commonwealth Games.

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:04 pm

Anyone would think you know your way around the track Foo. I was watching the individual pursuit & sprints last night. Aaron Gate & Bryony Botha were head and shoulders above the rest.

I'm hoping that Ronaldo or David Beckham do well
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:08 pm

I really enjoyed the tandems (I will admit some bias as Caitlin Ward is a member of my club). It was awesome to watch the women's tandem sprint. I think that this was the first time that the winner of a tandem sprint was not leading with 125m to go.

I think that Matt Glaetzer was a bit hard done by though. I'll have to speak to Karen the next time I see her and find out the whole story. I fear that she might try and talk me into becoming a commissaire though.

I wonder what happened to the Aussies in the men's scratch race. It was odd how they just faded out.

Cheers,

Cameron
Last edited by ironhanglider on Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:19 pm

That head comm over there is a deadset drop-kick, there was nothing wrong with Glaezter passing, Caitlin moved up out of the Sprinters lane. I would have leaned on him also for doing that. :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:02 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:19 pm
That head comm over there is a deadset drop-kick, there was nothing wrong with Glaezter passing, Caitlin moved up out of the Sprinters lane. I would have leaned on him also for doing that. :roll:

Foo
I was just watching that. Very harsh DQ... super hard to see what he did wrong.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:35 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:02 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:19 pm

Foo
I was just watching that. Very harsh DQ... super hard to see what he did wrong.
I have just seen the video of the Bronze medal sprint race.
Can’t believe they could do that (DQ him)

On the TV coverage video It looked like a classic sprint tussle like you see over and over again in elite level men’s and women’s track sprints - which is why people have been thrilled to watch track for over 100 years.

Ok so we weren’t there so maybe there is some secret subtle indiscretion- but I doubt it.

The fact that the judges had to look at their screen for such a prolonged time and with perplexed facial expressions suggests that it should have gone through to the keeper, whatever the issue is.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:53 am

I was watching last night and couldn’t understand why the ozzies were running drop bars when everyone else had aero bars.

Apparently two years isn’t long enough to go to the local bike shop. Or the back of my shed.

Australian track cycling hit with equipment drama at Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games (ABC)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:09 am

Aus cycling and their pursuit of $$$$ is a joke but we can blame that clowns that have destroyed the morals of the riders.

At least Matthew Glaezter made sure that he had the last laugh in the 1000mtr last night. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 am

Thoglette wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:53 am
couldn’t understand why the ozzies were running drop bars when everyone else had aero bars.
I don’t feel that the statements released provide enough answers… especially for the riders who dedicate their lives to trying to be the best they can abd are given a last minute handicap.
Cycling is in my BNA

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:02 pm

Onto the road.. TT tonight. Grace Brown did it easy, but Plapp is out.. some mechanical problem? I'm off to bed. Go Rohan, beat up that Welsh git ;)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:39 am

Got it done. Wouldn't have if Geraint had stayed on.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:16 am

Geez Geraints in great form. At least he got back up and made the podium. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=faeYsA4lhek

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:31 pm

A good ride by the Aussie girls for 1st n 3rd in the road race. Georgie Baker 1st and Sarah Roy 3rd. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:07 pm

I plonked on the lounge this arvo. All I can say is - glad it was a short race. :(

Funny that they made the TTs more hilly than the road races.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:37 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:31 pm
A good ride by the Aussie girls for 1st n 3rd in the road race. Georgie Baker 1st and Sarah Roy 3rd. :mrgreen:

Foo
Can someone explain to me what the gripe is of the English rider Anna Henderson. (Article linked to below)

I am not a competion rider but my understanding is that the road race allowed to be run as a team where your tactics reflect the strength and depth (or otherwise) of the team.

Henderson's gripe to me looks to be that there were no teams matching the depth and strength of the Oz team resulting in total and unchallenged control and hence a "boring" race. Does she expect the dominant team to nobble themselves to make it less "boring"?

Or is my understanding wrong? Is this race not a team event and should the girls have been riding against each other for individual results? Does Henderson have a point?

Did all countries have six woman teams?

https://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/news/ ... lth-games/
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:00 pm

Sour grapes on her behalf because the poms weren't as strong. They complain when the Aussie girls chased down the breakaway near the end and kept it going. :roll:

Foo
Goal 6000km

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:55 pm

If she was that strong, she woulda won.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:01 pm

Yeah seemed to fit the whinging Pom stereotype with that outburst. Controlled the race and won the sprint comfortably and came third. Can't execute much better than that!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:00 pm

There was nothing stopping the Poms from pushing the pace higher through the race but they chose too play the game of sit back and hope someone else hooked in, so they have no come back in that argument. The Aussie girls ride a smarter race and worked better as a team for the outcome. :mrgreen:

People may also say.......It's not a "teams" race but an individual race but isn't going to work too get another member of the same country up, that has a better sprint finish. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:03 pm

Dead flat course was highly likely to end in a bunch sprint & the Aussie girls had a surplus of sprinters
Anything you can do, I can do slower

DernyDriver

Postby DernyDriver » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:48 pm

Warnesy wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:01 pm
Yeah seemed to fit the whinging Pom stereotype with that outburst. Controlled the race and won the sprint comfortably and came third. Can't execute much better than that!
Aussies did an "Ineos job" on the Poms :D

DernyDriver

Postby DernyDriver » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:51 pm

Men's road race ....Plapp concedes he can't beat his NZ buddy Aaron Gate in a sprint, so he uses his final effort to bring back Thomas, so Gate can win.
Thats the old ANZAC spirit!