Bryton 750 GPS

Giddo

Bryton 750 GPS

Postby Giddo » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:45 pm

Greetings,

Just want some input on the Bryton 750 GPS.

I'm looking at getting one as an upgrade from my Byton 10 purchased 4 years ago ( hasn't missed a beat).

Would like to get into the maps side of riding, ( load rides into the unit) use directions if needed and have more helpful features with my next GPS purchase

Any tips on this unit would be great.

Giddo

Andy01

Re: Bryton 750 GPS

Postby Andy01 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:55 am

I don't have a 750, but between my wife and I we have had Rider 10, 330, 410 & 420.

The 10 was my first GPS and I upgraded to a 410 in 2020. My wife used my 10 for a couple of months, then I found her a fairly cheap second hand 330, and last year bought a new 420 for her.

The 10 was pretty basic as you would know. The 330 was far more advanced (in some ways more advanced than either 410 or 420 - it could connect to WiFi and dowload/sync directly to the Bryton servers without needing a phone) but still has a small screen.

The 410 & 420 both have larger screens which is nice - my 410 is set up for 7 parameters on the first screen which means I rarely look past the first screen. I have found it to be generally quite accurate and trouble-free. The altitude is a bit dodgy unless you manually calibrate it before each ride.

Both 410 & 420 automatically sync with the phones after each ride which is nice, they auto-pause when bike stops and start again. Very easy to link up sensors. Both of us use Polar armband-style HRMs and I have a Bryton cadence sensor and my wife has a cheap 3rd party cadence sensor - they all work flawlessly. Battery life is great with both units usually getting around 18-22 hours on a charge.

The GUI on the "better" (better than 10 or 15) units is much better and easier to use and set up. The app is the same although there is a bit of added functionality with the more advanced units.

We have never tried the "navigation" feature on the 420 because it is apparently a very basic breadcrumb type.

Now none of this helps you with a 750, except to say that IMO the Brytons are good value for money and have certainly got better with each new unit. They tend to get hammered a bit in reviews for the app & website interfaces, but usually get good reviews for the actual units performance and reliability. The larger screens (than Rider 10) are definitely the way to go, and the 750 is bigger than the 410/420 we have.

I think if my 410 died any time soon (which seems unlikely based on their general reliability) I would be looking to a 750 I think.

Giddo

Postby Giddo » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:17 am

Cheers Andy01, the more I look at the 420, the more I think, that's all I need. The touch screen on the 750 is probably the only thing that worries me. With technology advances, sometimes "issues" present themselves more often than not.
Will keep reviewing for the time being.
More than likely my choice will be a Bryton

Giddo

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:15 am

I wouldn't personally be too worried about the durability of the touch screen. My Garmin edge 1000 is 8 or 9 years old and has recorded over 100k km.
Still fine.
I am now using a radar and mapping in it though.
That is testing the battery life on the old goer having it paired with the varia and displaying mapping in my gravel rides. Only 7-8 hr battery life now.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:40 am

Giddo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:17 am
Cheers Andy01, the more I look at the 420, the more I think, that's all I need. The touch screen on the 750 is probably the only thing that worries me. With technology advances, sometimes "issues" present themselves more often than not.
Will keep reviewing for the time being.
More than likely my choice will be a Bryton

Giddo
One thing I can say is that the 420 may not be be the best choice if you want to "get into using maps".

As mentioned I have never used the navigation on the 420, but from what I have read it is a VERY basic bread-crumb type navigation, so nothing like using a GPS or mobile for navigation. It has been a long time since I even looked into it, but from memory you need to build the route manually offline and download it to the device before the ride. I think it also displays either the turn-by-turn directions OR the speed etc - I don't think (but happy to be corrected) it can do both at the same time.

For everything else, the 420 should work very well.

Giddo

Postby Giddo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:41 pm

The research continues Andy01

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:22 pm

I have the 420 and Andy01 is correct. Bread-crumb navigation is not the same as using maps.
breadcrumb useful as a guideline, good for gravel rides where there are not many directional choices to make.
but if you're riding in suburbs with closely located streets, lanes, etc .. then it can get really confusing. even more so if you are following a route that double-back on itself (eg one that goes out and back the same way).

If you want navigation by maps, then the 750 is a better option.

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:16 pm

I used a Bryton Rider 310 for a few years and went to the 750 a year or so ago for a larger display of the info I wanted. The 750 allows me to set what metric is displayed on various portions of the screen.

The 750 screen is still small for using maps and I've not tried very much to get used to it. Each time I've given it a go my mind goes too readily to 'Why not just mount a smart phone and get decent size maps?'