Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:40 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:35 am
warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:34 pm

He is already at an elite level?
You might have missed this bit ....
I was a national/ international level runner before the injury,
I did miss that bit. I just read a runner at a decent level.
Yes he clearly has a good cardiovascular system then.
I still struggle with those power numbers after only 3-4 weeks training, given the different muscle groups used on a bike and the need to develop them to sustain decent power.
That does mean a good engine though.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Re: How to proceed in cycling as a fit beginner

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:16 am

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:40 am
Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:35 am
warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:34 pm

He is already at an elite level?
You might have missed this bit ....
I was a national/ international level runner before the injury,
I did miss that bit. I just read a runner at a decent level.
Yes he clearly has a good cardiovascular system then.
I still struggle with those power numbers after only 3-4 weeks training, given the different muscle groups used on a bike and the need to develop them to sustain decent power.
That does mean a good engine though.
As a backup I'd look at getting a known accurate power meter or do an FTP test by borrowing a known accurate trainer (like NEO 2T) to verify what the Kickr Core is saying as a base line. And then work from there. If I was in the position of the OP, I'd be doing that so you know where you stand and then can work out what to do next.

In my experience Neos tend to be stingy for power readings (at least my NEO1 was). And use a HR monitor as well when doing the test so you've got that information because it is probably useful as well if a coach wants to look at it.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:30 am

Those numbers are very impressive - you're exactly my weight and my 20 minute effort is about 320W (5.24W/kg) after three years of training (though I'm 42). Are you saying you're 23 years old? If so you've got plenty of time to win some races. Your five minute power is also excellent - mine is 6.0W/kg which is about 99.4% in my age group.

Given you've got an indoor trainer I'd advise starting some Zwift racing to get started. You'll be A+ category and being a smaller guy like me it's a good way to work out if you've got the capacity for a different sprint as well. Zwift racing like normal racing isn't actually won by FTP or W/kg (though they're categorised that way) - it's more about holding in, flowing with the group and unleashing your sprint at the right time in the end (you'll need 15-17W/kg for 10 seconds at least to win it) and you should do well with those numbers.

You need to get out on the bike though. I find even my legs outpower my bike handling skills under certain circumstances and all the power in the world is useless if you spear off on the first corner. Plus group racing is another skillset you'll need to develop, though don't ask me how to do that because I have no idea.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:35 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:30 am
Those numbers are very impressive - you're exactly my weight and my 20 minute effort is about 320W (5.24W/kg) after three years of training (though I'm 42). Are you saying you're 23 years old? If so you've got plenty of time to win some races. Your five minute power is also excellent - mine is 6.0W/kg which is about 99.4% in my age group.

Given you've got an indoor trainer I'd advise starting some Zwift racing to get started. You'll be A+ category and being a smaller guy like me it's a good way to work out if you've got the capacity for a different sprint as well. Zwift racing like normal racing isn't actually won by FTP or W/kg (though they're categorised that way) - it's more about holding in, flowing with the group and unleashing your sprint at the right time in the end (you'll need 15-17W/kg for 10 seconds at least to win it) and you should do well with those numbers.

You need to get out on the bike though. I find even my legs outpower my bike handling skills under certain circumstances and all the power in the world is useless if you spear off on the first corner. Plus group racing is another skillset you'll need to develop, though don't ask me how to do that because I have no idea.
Group racing is probably through track cycling. Most of the good riders I know who are in NRS teams seem to come from that background when they were just kids. Now they are monsters on the bike.

Zwift is also about using power-ups properly and making use of Zwift pack-dynamics "features" to your advantage.

If your trainer overstates your power, then get a power meter that equally overstates your power, I'm sure others do as well - it seems to be do whatever to win. ;) Just don't do things like sticky-watts or micro-surges because those are watched for and you'll get angry reactions from others.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:49 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:30 am

I am not going for a ride with you. Would tear my legs off quick smart!
Dogs are the best people :wink:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:11 pm

Pick up the phone or email/messenger/instagram and contact a couple of the local clubs.
Explain that you are 23, a former national/international level runner, due to injury and want to take up road racing. You don't need to give them power numbers they will know you have a good aerobic engine.

There are plenty of examples of cyclists transition over from other sports, ie Ben O'Connor from running, Bradley Gilmore currently racing for ARA from MX.

If you were on my side of the country. I would get you down to our next race to speak to our club coach, he would explain what you need to do be an elite racer. Introduce you to good riders who live near you to get you involved in group rides.

I would not spurge out on a power meter/smart trainer/new bike etc. Until you decide you want to race, what you want to race, what is the best equipment for you, etc..

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:26 am

Racing in Melb is pretty much crits and not much else, so a being a w/kg beast you may find it frustrating maybe apart from the Teardrop at Kew Boulie. But you may have to wait till the warmer months till they start up again. You dont have to join a club, there isnt a heap of benefit nowadays, indiviual coaching (which costs a fortune) has taken over from the clubs having accredited coaches. You can race at any club you want once you have a licence, I race all over the place. Trial licences are available for 3 races and then after that you can decide if you like it enough to buy a full licence, which is around $300 from memory. Race entries vary from $10 for small club race to nearly $200 for things like Tour of Bright, entryboss.cc has most clubs entries. If you're get into it for prizemoney, prepare to be disappointed. For now its probably best to join a bunch and get used to riding with others, otherwise you will piss everybody off by just turning up to a race and not knowing how to roll turns or position yourself in a paceline. Having big watts is nice for climbs but those races are few and far between, saving watts in a bunch is a more valuable skill.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:43 pm

lone rider wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:26 am
For now its probably best to join a bunch and get used to riding with others, otherwise you will piss everybody off by just turning up to a race and not knowing how to roll turns or position yourself in a paceline.
Also a lesson for clubs there. You might have a big engine, and I have seen cases where clubs don't like riders from other clubs "stealing" their podiums, so they put these new riders straight into A Grade, despite the fact they have never raced or ridden in a group. In one such race, the newbie contested the sprint and took out Eddie Salas who ended up off the track at almost 70km/h. There was a big stink kicked up about it because the club was advised the rider was completely new to racing, but they ignored their own promotion policy and dumped him in with experienced riders just because he was fast. He was also a danger to every other rider because he had grand total of about 2 hours of racing experience.

I personally experienced some similar where I promoted from D Grade through to A grade in barely 6 races, which was the grand total of my racing experience. Had I been a member of the hosting club, the promotions policy would have seen me need to podium 3 times in each grade to be prompted. From that experience, I also learned that there is a huge gap between A grade an B grade. A grade contains all the riders too fast for the other grades, but it's actually a very low bar to clear. My only fitness came from commuting to and from work on my bicycle. In A grade, I was just pack fodder, and they wouldn't let me race B grade. So, when I was injured (unrelated to cycling), I just gave it up. I'm not paying $20 to ride around in a circle for an hour and just donate the cash to the same 6 riders every week. I might as well just hand them the cash at the start and go home. Actually, I don't know why we persist with this whole prizemoney thing in cycling. It makes people do stupid things. We're not world tour riders riding for UCI points or sponsorships.

I have simply reverted to what I was doing pre-racing, which is long distance endurance riding with Audax. With that, I can go for various awards that are based on nothing but my own personal achievements, and I am more than happy with that. It's also a lot safer. The amount of races I have been in where people have ended up in an ambulance is staggering.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:58 pm

queequeg wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:43 pm
lone rider wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:26 am
For now its probably best to join a bunch and get used to riding with others, otherwise you will piss everybody off by just turning up to a race and not knowing how to roll turns or position yourself in a paceline.
Also a lesson for clubs there. You might have a big engine, and I have seen cases where clubs don't like riders from other clubs "stealing" their podiums, so they put these new riders straight into A Grade, despite the fact they have never raced or ridden in a group. In one such race, the newbie contested the sprint and took out Eddie Salas who ended up off the track at almost 70km/h. There was a big stink kicked up about it because the club was advised the rider was completely new to racing, but they ignored their own promotion policy and dumped him in with experienced riders just because he was fast. He was also a danger to every other rider because he had grand total of about 2 hours of racing experience.

I personally experienced some similar where I promoted from D Grade through to A grade in barely 6 races, which was the grand total of my racing experience. Had I been a member of the hosting club, the promotions policy would have seen me need to podium 3 times in each grade to be prompted. From that experience, I also learned that there is a huge gap between A grade an B grade. A grade contains all the riders too fast for the other grades, but it's actually a very low bar to clear. My only fitness came from commuting to and from work on my bicycle. In A grade, I was just pack fodder, and they wouldn't let me race B grade. So, when I was injured (unrelated to cycling), I just gave it up. I'm not paying $20 to ride around in a circle for an hour and just donate the cash to the same 6 riders every week. I might as well just hand them the cash at the start and go home. Actually, I don't know why we persist with this whole prizemoney thing in cycling. It makes people do stupid things. We're not world tour riders riding for UCI points or sponsorships.

I have simply reverted to what I was doing pre-racing, which is long distance endurance riding with Audax. With that, I can go for various awards that are based on nothing but my own personal achievements, and I am more than happy with that. It's also a lot safer. The amount of races I have been in where people have ended up in an ambulance is staggering.
I remember that incident and the huge stink about it. I won't say anything more, it's a long time ago.

Personally, if some newcomer has big speed but not the race craft I wouldn't want to see them in A grade right away, it just seems like a recipe for disaster. Mind you I've seen complaints about experience A-graders (one riding for a team) doing dumb things in a race as well. You could call it race strategy, but it could have created an accident if the other person wasn't alert. There were angry words exchanged over that one.

I'm not involved in all of that stuff - after the AusCycling carve-up I just thought stuff it, not happy with that and I don't want anything to do with them. I know I wasn't the only one.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:18 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:58 pm

Personally, if some newcomer has big speed but not the race craft I wouldn't want to see them in A grade right away, it just seems like a recipe for disaster. Mind you I've seen complaints about experience A-graders (one riding for a team) doing dumb things in a race as well. You could call it race strategy, but it could have created an accident if the other person wasn't alert. There were angry words exchanged over that one.

I'm not involved in all of that stuff - after the AusCycling carve-up I just thought stuff it, not happy with that and I don't want anything to do with them. I know I wasn't the only one.
I think if someone has not raced before, or even ridden in a bunch, they need to learn the craft. It does not matter how big their engine is. I don't think anyone would be fussed if you say "look, we know you have a big engine but for your safety we don't want you contesting any sprints. You won't be eligible for any podiums until we say so".

I decided during my recovery, with all the mess around AusCycling, not to participate in that anymore. I'm quite happy just doing my Audax and some closed road events, and more recently some multi-day bikepacking events with friends. I just don't see the need to put myself in harms way tearing around a race track.
Events like Peaks, Fitzs Challenge or things like Go For Broke, I do just as much for the social aspect as for the challenge, but some of these events are just getting stupidly expensive.
I did the Central West Trail with some friends back in October and the entire 4 day weekend we did was still cheaper than the entry for some of these events. If an event has some sort of unique route you can't otherwise do, I'm up for it. Peaks I am having another crack at, just because it was cancelled in 2023 and my entry moved over (and I want to do a solid sub-10hr), and I am signed up for Thunderbolt's Adventure in 2024 for a gravel weekend.

But yeah, AusCycling I just have a Lifestyle Membership and that's how it will stay.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi