Wheels on the tcr-advanced-pro-disc-0-di2-2024

gavin_rider

Wheels on the tcr-advanced-pro-disc-0-di2-2024

Postby gavin_rider » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:31 pm

I am thinking about buying this Giant TCR Ultegra bike (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tcr-a ... 0-di2-2024). Can anyone can tell me if these wheels are any good for a bike in the $6,000 price range, as I can't find any reviews online:

Rims Giant SLR 1 36 Carbon Disc WheelSystem, [F] 36mm, [R] 36mm
Hubs[F] Giant Low Friction Hub, CenterLock, 12mm thru-axle [R] Giant Low Friction Hub, 30t ratchet driver, CenterLock, 12mm thru-axle
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tcr-a ... ifications
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/slr-1-36-disc-2022

In terms of the purpose of the bike, I am looking at doing 3 peaks and Amy's Gran Fondo next year. And apart from that, I like having a crack at Mt Donna Buang and similar climbs occasionally.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Wheels on the tcr-advanced-pro-disc-0-di2-2024

Postby Duck! » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:51 pm

They're pretty decent wheels, built with a mix of in-house and DT Swiss components. 36mm rim profile is good for all-round use; some aero benefit, but not as much as deeper-section wheels, but lighter, which helps with climbing and responsiveness in mixed terrain. There is also a bit more "give" on rougher roads, so you get a smoother ride.

They'll be good for what you're lokking to do.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:51 pm

Just be aware they are hookless. If you are heavier and like to run higher pressures less suitable than hooked rims imo. Giant wheels may allow a higher pressure than the etrto std of 5 bar. I'd still be more comfortable with hooked at higher pressures and narrower tyres regardless.

Some tyres wont allow hookless fitment in under 28mm. They will be wider than the rim on those wheels and negate some of the aero benefit if that is important to you.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

gavin_rider

Postby gavin_rider » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:09 pm

Thanks Duck! and warthog1.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:12 pm

The specifications on those are pretty reasonable to the point where upgrading would be quite difficult. You could spend $1500 odd on a slightly lighter chinese made wheel with better hubs, a better internal width and possibly 150g weight saving but it's honestly probably not worth it.

Weight is quite reasonable at 1442g. The only caveats I would have with those wheels is the DT Swiss 360 hub it appears to use is the cheaper, non-star ratchet version, and the internal width is in my opinion a little bit middle of the road at 22.4mm. Sort of leaves you somewhere between 25mm and 28mm tyres being the better option, though I'd be inclined to go with 28mm despite the marginal aero disadvantage.

Additionally I may be wrong on many of those specifications just because of how hard it is to find using Giant's own information. That really annoys me - what's the point of including terms like 'Giant Low Friction Hub' and only the depth of the wheelset, not the actual width? Just tell us what wheelset it is, and link it to the wheelset available elsewhere on your website. It's pretty bad when you have to google the name of the wheelset to work out the actual components in it.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:12 pm
The specifications on those are pretty reasonable to the point where upgrading would be quite difficult. You could spend $1500 odd on a slightly lighter chinese made wheel with better hubs, a better internal width and possibly 150g weight saving but it's honestly probably not worth it.

Weight is quite reasonable at 1442g. The only caveats I would have with those wheels is the DT Swiss 360 hub it appears to use is the cheaper, non-star ratchet version, and the internal width is in my opinion a little bit middle of the road at 22.4mm. Sort of leaves you somewhere between 25mm and 28mm tyres being the better option, though I'd be inclined to go with 28mm despite the marginal aero disadvantage.

Additionally I may be wrong on many of those specifications just because of how hard it is to find using Giant's own information. That really annoys me - what's the point of including terms like 'Giant Low Friction Hub' and only the depth of the wheelset, not the actual width? Just tell us what wheelset it is, and link it to the wheelset available elsewhere on your website. It's pretty bad when you have to google the name of the wheelset to work out the actual components in it.
The original post and the link provided there both show it's a 30T ratchet hub. The link also shwws the internal and external width (22.4mm and 26mm, respectively). The provided 25c tyre is 26.5mm wide on that rim. So, if anything, it's the external width that's narrow, not the internal width.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:37 am

biker jk wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 pm
The original post and the link provided there both show it's a 30T ratchet hub. The link also shwws the internal and external width (22.4mm and 26mm, respectively). The provided 25c tyre is 26.5mm wide on that rim. So, if anything, it's the external width that's narrow, not the internal width.
Sorry, I've been done in by this one before and it's a pet peeve of mine.

You're right though - it's a bit vague in the component listing but it does actually seem to specify it's the SLR1 36 disc 'wheelsystem' so is the same as the second link. I thought they were playing games and listing the rims and hubs separately as many of the other manufacturers seem to do.

Trek is a cracker for implying that a wheelset is one thing when it is actually another. The stock wheels that came with my Checkpoint appeared to be a 1.8kg basic spec Bontrager Comp TLR, when in reality they were a 2.1kg set of Paradigm SL, a wheel you can't actually purchase separately (because no-one would want them) and having a stunning 21mm internal diameter for 40mm tyres.

Still not a fan of the Giant approach of 'we won't tell you the weight of the bike because it varies too much in the real world and depending on size' but they're not at fault here. Ever heard of specifying a weight range, Giant?

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:05 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:37 am
Still not a fan of the Giant approach of 'we won't tell you the weight of the bike because it varies too much in the real world and depending on size' but they're not at fault here. Ever heard of specifying a weight range, Giant?

Same here. Very annoying.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:59 am

Just buy some digital luggage scales and you can carry it around in you pocket if you're looking for weights on frames or wheels, problem solved. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km