Riding a bike after developing drop head syndrome

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zaxatron

Riding a bike after developing drop head syndrome

Postby zaxatron » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

the title of this post may sound very weird to all of you.

I started suffering from cervical disc C5-C6, C6-C7 left nerves disc compression and bilateral C5-C6,C6-C7,C7-T1 cervical facet joint degeneration/pain in Aug 2022 as a result of 2 bad accidents in 2015 and 2019 when I was run over by negligent drivers whilst riding in the bike lane. I sufferred massive whiplash, bone fractures etc. I healed and went back riding.

Therefore I went from Melbourne Australia to Melbourne Florida to the Deukspine Institute in Aug 2023 where I was operated with a minimally invasive laser surgery by neurosurgeon Ara Deukmedjian. I went to Florida because the doctors here in Australia only offered me a cervical fusion which I didn't want because of loss of flexibillity.

The laser surgery was a failure. I woke up with a dropped head, I wasn't able to pull my head back like before. The facet joints denervation procedures caused massive inflammation to my paraspinal muscles making my neck extensor muscles very weak. I was in excruciating pain.

Over the last few months I went through a hell of pain day and night. I have been seeing a physio regularly. He somehow improved my head tilt back, but I can only go back 10 degrees when I used to have in excess of 20 degrees before surgery. I don't know how this has happened. I also have quite a big lump a the base of the neck. The doctors can't explain what it is and how to get rid of it.

Now I am think of resume riding on my Giant Roam 4 but solely on the bike track.

I did trial ride in my back yard but the problem was that my head was still leaning forward making it difficult to keep a horizontal gaze.

Is there anyone in this cycling forum that has experiened horizontals gaze problems when riding? And if so what advice and tips can they give me so that I start riding again?

Thank you.

Best regards

Alfred

find_bruce

Re: Riding a bike after developing drop head syndrome

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:52 pm

Have you considered a recumbent? Plenty of people here went that way due to neck or back issues.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:12 pm

find_bruce wrote: Have you considered a recumbent? Plenty of people here went that way due to neck or back issues.
Without me wanting sound dismissive or otherwise I agree with Bruce. After reading your background story my mind went straight to a recumbent.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

zaxatron

Postby zaxatron » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:55 am

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:52 pm
Have you considered a recumbent? Plenty of people here went that way due to neck or back issues.
Hi Bruce,
how are you?

Thank you for your reply.

I checked some of the online but they are beyonf affordability, they cost too much for me.

pbekkerh

Postby pbekkerh » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:17 am

Handlebar higher up, maybe a +17 degree stem, shorter stem, forward facing backcamera?
Ghost SE7000
PlanetX Exocet
Colnago Sprint 1986
Solio 1910
Boreas Aër 2003
Bike Friday Tikit
Trailer Extrawheel I & II