62 and first time drafting

Greg61

62 and first time drafting

Postby Greg61 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 pm

I've been back cycling around 4 months and starting to overcome fatigue on long rides. The other day 8 cyclists passed me so I tried to get into their slipstream. I was able to draft from Whitebridge to Belmont - the first time I've drafted in my life.

This couldn't come at a better time where I have been losing faith in myself and haven't made a cent in months. All I need to do is have faith in reaching out for help from others.

elantra

Re: 62 and first time drafting

Postby elantra » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:58 pm

Greg61 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 pm
I've been back cycling around 4 months and starting to overcome fatigue on long rides. The other day 8 cyclists passed me so I tried to get into their slipstream. I was able to draft from Whitebridge to Belmont - the first time I've drafted in my life.

This couldn't come at a better time where I have been losing faith in myself and haven't made a cent in months. All I need to do is have faith in reaching out for help from others.
Drafting in a bunch can be great fun for a change.

In most conditions on a relatively flat stretch of road it takes a lot less energy expenditure to pedal at 30 + km/hr when you are behind someone else !

But of course it depends on the bunch that you are following. If they are too slow, not much point.
If they are sloppy bike handlers, could be dangerous.
And occasionally they will be very unsociable, even hostile, usually without any justification.

You can usually read the body language to tell if you are welcome or not.
Sometimes you learn, watching their bike handling skills or their bike setups.
Sometimes you will get invited to join the ride or join them at a rest stop or coffee shop. etc.

Kudos to you for getting back on the bike.
Riding the bike is good for taking your mind off some things and looking at things with a different, sometimes better, perspective.

And by doing it regularly your overall fitness will improve.
I am about your age (maybe a year or 2 older) and most of my friends I have met through cycling over the years. Not all of them still ride bikes but that hardly matters, it’s like a common language.
Consider joining Strava, if you have not already done so. It’s a free app on most smartphones.
Keep at it and good luck, stay safe.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:23 am

By riding whitebridge to Belmont I assume you mean on the Fernleigh track. Drafting is good for energy efficiency and extra pace, but I’m not sure that a busy shared path is the place for a fast bunch ride, maybe one to three riders, but not eight.

Maybe try joining some local group rides on the road. Try your local bike shop for suggestions as to what group to ride with.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:49 am

Greg61 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 pm
Drafting is great for speed and efficiency, but it really needs to be done with other riders you know and trust. I very rarely hop onto the back of a group I don't know, and on the few occasions that I have I've asked them whether they minded first. Coincidentally the last time I did that was Belmont to Whitebridge (at night), and I did so because my front light had just stopped working so it was much safer on the back of another rider.

I often ride with a social group, and you soon get to know which riders it's safe to draft with and who to avoid. You'll sometimes get a nervous rider who'll emergency brake at the drop of a hat, and you absolutely don't want to be anywhere near them.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:09 pm

Rule of thumb, leave more space when you don't know them. This reduces the aero efficiency but if they may know know you are behind or don't know and trust them, you need to allow space if they do something you don't expect like brake or dodge something.

When friends ride or in a bunch, often there are signs and calling to help people behind with more limited visibility to better assess. And when riding close is appropriate, the riders in front also know of the implications of their riding actions so ride accordingly.

Easy solution if you want to draft, ask "do you mind if I hope on"... they will then know you are there and if they are comfortable with it will let you. Otherwise, leave a few lengths.
Cycling is in my BNA