Melbourne to Maffra east Gippsland

Leaf T

Melbourne to Maffra east Gippsland

Postby Leaf T » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:42 am

Hi all,

I want to cycle to Maffra in East Gippsland Vic to be in time for christmas. I am thinking of departing from Lilydale or Warburton. The problem I'm having is there doesn't appear to be any legal campsites.
I wondered if any one had advice on finding a place to set up a tent in these situations.
Also I,m planning on cooking my own food so is there recommendations for gear in this dept?
The route I'm planning goes through some ideal countryside but it seems hilly. I plan to avoid the Princes hwy and head to perhaps piedmont or icy creek then south towards Moe and across to Heyfield then on to Maffra.
Ideally I would love to be able to pull up when I get too tired and pitch the tent but this is probably not practical.
This will be my first longish ride with all the gear so any other advice is going to be well recieved.

Cheers, Andrew

JustinS007

Re: Melbourne to Maffra east Gippsland

Postby JustinS007 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:35 pm

I recently did the 'tour' shown attached. Note that we were on much of the road you will likely travel.

We stopped where the red dot is north of Moe which would be about half way to Maffra from where you are leaving from. It's a place called "Blue Rock Lake" and camping IS forbidden. However we waited until dark and pitched our tent in a secluded spot. It's pretty remote and so you would be unlikely to get caught. It has electric barbecues and public toilets.

The ride from Moe to Noojee incidentally is really something special through gorgeous rainforest.

Now if you wanted to go on a bit there IS a LEGAL campsite at Rosedale. Or at least we were told this by the people at the information centre in Bairnsdale.

Cheers, J.

Ride route:
http://coolrunning.smugmug.com/gallery/ ... 2259_7TfzF
View over blue lake:
http://coolrunning.smugmug.com/gallery/ ... 9947_46M4b
And finally the elevation profile from Blue Lake to Healesville:
http://coolrunning.smugmug.com/gallery/ ... 1913_5c55V
I'm a runner, but I sure love to ride!

il padrone

Re: Melbourne to Maffra east Gippsland

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Andy wrote:I want to cycle to Maffra in East Gippsland Vic to be in time for christmas. I am thinking of departing from Lilydale or Warburton. The problem I'm having is there doesn't appear to be any legal campsites.
I wondered if any one had advice on finding a place to set up a tent in these situations.
Plenty of legal campsites abound! First point is that it is generally quite legal to camp anywhere in State Forests, as long as you obey any signs re. logging etc. activities. It's also not illegal to camp at roadside picnic areas or roadside rest areas, however I would only do this with discretion ie. only at stops that are away from main roads and/or enable you to conceal your tent and bike from view.

It'll be worthwhile getting hold of the book 'Camping in Victoria' by Boiling Billy Publications. It lists all the campsites on public land. In addition there are town caravan parks.

On your route there is:
- the Latrobe River camping area, on the Ada River Rd, just off the Powelltown-Noojee Rd, about 8-10 km west of Noojee. Signposted.
- the Loch Valley camping area, 7 km north of Noojee on the Loch Vallye Rd, off your direct route.
- Lake Narracan Caravan Park on South Shore Rd, 5 km NE of Moe
- Traralgon has caravan parks, Rosedale has one too and there are a couple at Lake Glenmaggie north of Heyfield

Really you're spoiled for choice :D
Andy wrote:Also I,m planning on cooking my own food so is there recommendations for gear in this dept?
Plenty of options here. Visit a bushwalking gear store. Whole textbooks could be written on the debates over various stove types so I won't go there :roll: . I assume you've already looked at this thread about touring gear.
Andy wrote:The route I'm planning goes through some ideal countryside but it seems hilly. I plan to avoid the Princes hwy and head to perhaps piedmont or icy creek then south towards Moe and across to Heyfield then on to Maffra.
Ideally I would love to be able to pull up when I get too tired and pitch the tent but this is probably not practical.
Quite a sensible route choice. Get out there and build your experience. As I said, any State Forest is yours to camp in. Just choose your site wisely.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."