Cycle touring with baby: looking for routes w little traffic

jemmab

Cycle touring with baby: looking for routes w little traffic

Postby jemmab » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi All

My partner and I are planning a 2 week cycle tour with our 12 month old baby. We are keen to find out whether there are any longer cycles that people could recommend with no or little traffic or with reliable shoulders along most of the route. Perhaps even a longer fire trail?

I have checked out the rail trails in Vic, but the longest are only 100km.

We can travel anywhere in Australia. I imagine that we wouldn't be going much more than 50km in a day with the little one.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:17 pm

Most of this tour of the Victorian Goldfields is very low traffic.

And so is this loop from Woodend to Heathcote and back (the Northern Hwy from Heathcote to Tooboorac is a busy run but it does have a sealed shoulder)

Most of South Gippsland is great for low trafficked roads, but unfortunately some of this route is closed due to the bushfires at present :(

Then there is also plenty of cycling to do on the Murray to Mountains Railtrail, the East Gippsland Railtrail and the Skipton Railtrail. Each will provide you with between 2 - 5 days of cycling, riding 50-70km per day.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Statistically, if you are involved in an accident, you are twice as likely to die if you are a passenger on a bus and three times as likely to die as a pedestrian on the footpath than you are as a pedal-cyclist on the road.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 pm

Statistically you are 100x more likely to worry about safety if you are a new parent. Make sure you can enjoy your holiday and relax. :)