The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Mr Purple

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:03 pm

Yes, you have a point regarding the cadence.

I'm suspicious my Kickr is actually doubling the cadence readings at times, giving the false result.

Either way I was spinning like mad and getting nowhere. Just felt there wasn't enough resistance available despite the trainer settings.

The missing power largely came back over the weekend with the cooler temperatures. I think I was just copping heat and humidity related stress.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:44 am

jasonc wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:49 pm

Wow. Very quiet. Noticeably even on a short ride
Now to sell the neo 2t, the diverge frame and whatever else I have hanging around
How are you finding the Kickr, Jason?

My left hand shifter broke on the trainer bike yesterday, and I can't seem to get the FD dialed in correctly - I'm actually suspicious the entire bottom bracket is not aligned correctly.

Getting sick of wasting time and effort sorting out beaten up old bikes on the trainer, and might start saving for a Kickr Bike.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:25 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:44 am
How are you finding the Kickr, Jason?
did 45 minutes on saturday. man it's quiet. the lack of gear indicator is annoying, but have put the gears in sequential mode so I don't need to worry about it, for now
My left hand shifter broke on the trainer bike yesterday, and I can't seem to get the FD dialed in correctly - I'm actually suspicious the entire bottom bracket is not aligned correctly.

Getting sick of wasting time and effort sorting out beaten up old bikes on the trainer, and might start saving for a Kickr Bike.
yep. less maintenance is better

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:21 pm

Quiet sounds good at this stage, thanks!

The problem with actual bikes on the trainer is that you need to have something that is usable but you don't actually care about. And the cost of taking it to the shop is far more than the cost of throwing it away and buying a new one, so you can't do that.

So you end up spending far too much time every week on a bike you hate that is always slightly broken.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:44 pm

If you have the money for the kickr bike it sounds the go. Particularly if you spend alot of time on a trainer.

For others though my kickr core is quieter than the fan.
I just use drip on wax as a chain lube.
In 2.5 years of use I have replaced the chain once and put on a new cassette as I started with an old cassette.
Running 5800 105 11 speed on my old commuter. I no longer commute by bike.
Has needed no other maintenance apart from the occaisional chain lube.
There are stronger riders than I on here as I am old, but I can hold 300w for 20min or so according to the kickr core that I reckon over estimates power. Anyway I am not just light pedalling all of the time.
The legs on the kickr are starting to get surface rust on them now though. My lord you perspire on a trainer.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:27 pm

Did an hour this morning on the kickr. Seat post kept slipping. It had a quick release seat post clamp. Thankfully there's a hex bolt. Did it up by Allen key and it was better for the second half
Is there a kickr bike thread on here somewhere? There has to be a way to get the gear indicator on zwift

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:49 am

There is not a way to get gear indicator on Zwift for Kickr Bike - not supported yet. :wink:

You can talk on the smart trainer thread about kickr bike as I have one.

Now for real riding next year Haute Route Alps 2024 event:

https://strava.app.link/4GBrmK8VrFb (Strava Haute Route club announcement)

Lots of overlap with 2018 and 2019, day 2 and 3 like 2019.

Day 3 Courchevel to Alpe D’huez probably via Col de La Madeleine and Col du Glandon starting with a massive high speed descent from Courchevel. Back to Auron again too, nice place but the hotel there in 2018 was 2km up a hill! Argh. ;)

You have Bonette as well - the highest climb of them all in France. :D I have ridden that one already - it’s still a good one. Looking at the list I’ve ridden all of them at least once some twice or three times.

Alps 2024:

Col des Aravis
Col de la Colombière
Altiport Megève
Col des Saisies
Col de la Loze
Col de la Madeleine
Col du Glandon
Alpe d'Huez
Col du Lautaret
Col du Granon
Col de Vars
Col de la Bonnette
Auron
Col St-Martin

https://hauteroute.fr/event/haute-route-alps/

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:01 am

Managed to get the trainer bike up to scratch using an old shifter from the Avanti and a series of youtube videos on FD setup, so now it's mint.

Unfortunately on this week's challenge on the Col du Tourmalet it somehow dropped the chain on the rear cassette - will need to adjust the limiter screws there I think!

Those proper European climbs are a penance on the indoor trainer. This was the shortened Tourmalet so 11.94km/927m and in a hot, humid garage in Brisbane in summer melting was the limiting factor. Faded hard to 254W average of 46:27. Average heart rate 181, relative effort according to Strava 174.

Still have the lead in the challenge by 3:23 but can't see myself holding that one. Not doing it again either, it was horrible.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:03 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:01 am
Managed to get the trainer bike up to scratch using an old shifter from the Avanti and a series of youtube videos on FD setup, so now it's mint.

Unfortunately on this week's challenge on the Col du Tourmalet it somehow dropped the chain on the rear cassette - will need to adjust the limiter screws there I think!

Those proper European climbs are a penance on the indoor trainer. This was the shortened Tourmalet so 11.94km/927m and in a hot, humid garage in Brisbane in summer melting was the limiting factor. Faded hard to 254W average of 46:27. Average heart rate 181, relative effort according to Strava 174.

Still have the lead in the challenge by 3:23 but can't see myself holding that one. Not doing it again either, it was horrible.
:o :shock:
I reckon you need to run a health benefits case by your wife so you can move inside into the airconditioning! :wink: :)
Good luck, with it. A challenging task I reckon

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:10 pm

It's weird, I never noticed it as much in previous summers.

Having said that the usual 'challenge' ride is about 20km and 300m elevation. I'll have to check my history but I suspect doing close to 1000m elevation on garage rides is not something I've done outside winter before.

Suspect my fitness is a bit on the low side as well though. My standard Cootha Back has gone from 350W to 330W at the same heart rate, and Strava 'fitness' is as low as it's been in 2 years. Weirdly my 60 second power is as high as it's ever been though, and managed to take a short KOM into a headwind with an 810W 23 second effort on the weekend. Might take this opportunity to take a few sprinty and downhill ones!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:43 pm

At some point with age power sarts to drop away. It shouldn't happen that quickly though, may just need an easy week and some rest.
I am well past that point at almost 55. My strava PBs are all from a long time ago. :( :lol:
Oh well, I still enjoy pushing mysef, just dont compare to those younger and stronger.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:50 pm

it's been proper humid the last couple of weeks

can i have a note to move my setup into the AC too?

i just accept that i can't put the power down i did 3 years ago. i need to get rid of the excess kilos before I try again

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:02 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:50 pm

i just accept that i can't put the power down i did 3 years ago. i need to get rid of the excess kilos before I try again
Tell her the perspiration in the shed may affect the durability of both you and the new kickr. Of course that would mean a new trainer purchase when if breaks. Could work!? :idea:

Just to be clear nothing has worked for me either. I'd be out in the shed too even though there's no room. Patrol is still waiting on new parts post the turbo swap.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:08 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:01 am

254 average - welcome to my league then. ;) we must be getting older and don’t recover so well.

My average HR for that level of power is lower 165-170bpm.

Thought of doing the big climbs in big gear at lower cadence for a while? Or even just 4x10 and 5x10 or 2x30min at lower cadence. Not at max power but it burns the legs and you get used to it.

When the intervals got easier I just shortened the recovery times between them or increased the power. If it’s a 40 minute climb, 4x10 is near 40 minutes. Thats how I’d prepare for the HC climbs.

Off the bike workouts are important too. You can get power out of those too.

Sydney is pretty humid as well - but I have a big ducted AC unit which is powerful and keeps the temps down. Also an industrial fan. I’m also lean so that may help.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:25 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:43 pm
At some point with age power sarts to drop away. It shouldn't happen that quickly though, may just need an easy week and some rest.
I am well past that point at almost 55. My strava PBs are all from a long time ago. :( :lol:
Oh well, I still enjoy pushing mysef, just dont compare to those younger and stronger.
Probably.

What I suspect is happening is a combination of fatigue, heat and the inefficiency of being a standing climber. To sustain 270-280W for prolonged periods (more than about 15 minutes) I pretty much need to be constantly standing - this is comfortable for about 20 minutes indoors, but after that the heart rate just goes through the roof. It's just too inefficient.

Probably need to sort out these issues with a proper bike fit at some stage but no point doing that until I can buy an actual new bike and stay married.

Having said all that sooner or later you just have to think about what you're actually doing! No point really targetting fast Cootha Back times or massive FTPs if you're only in it for the fun. I'm taking more KOMs on gravel than tarmac these days and enjoy it a lot more. Gravel segments are more about line choice, bravery and navigation skills rather than power.

You're probably onto something there g-boaf. My training structure is largely pretty haphazard due to lack of time and lack of motivation, but I probably won't be able to get away with that forever. Might have to actually plan something one day! Mind you I never actually expected to get this far, so should probably just relax and enjoy myself.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:47 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:02 pm
jasonc wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:50 pm

Tell her the perspiration in the shed may affect the durability of both you and the new kickr. Of course that would mean a new trainer purchase when if breaks. Could work!? :idea:
Yeah that's not happening. I have half the garage. It's bad enough all my physio bits take up a corner in the lounge room too which is frowned upon regularly

Mr Purple- do some longer climbs
- queen Mary falls, beechmont, o'reilly's
The last time I did a coot-tha pb was 3 days after a springbrook climb

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:40 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:25 pm
You're probably onto something there g-boaf. My training structure is largely pretty haphazard due to lack of time and lack of motivation, but I probably won't be able to get away with that forever. Might have to actually plan something one day! Mind you I never actually expected to get this far, so should probably just relax and enjoy myself.
Either the longer intervals or just doing the longer climbs.

Can you train at higher elevation at all? What's the highest climbs you can do easily - those would be worth it because you get big benefits from riding at altitude.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:52 am

Why wouldn't you give all the parts that sweat drops onto, a spray of WD40 and then a wipe down? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:09 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:52 am
Why wouldn't you give all the parts that sweat drops onto, a spray of WD40 and then a wipe down? :?

Foo
It fairly pours out. Don't really want oil and solvent all over my bike. It is in shared work accom too so would be fuming out the place probably.
You can get clip on covers I think.
https://www.rockbros.com.au/products/ro ... tape-strap
I just wipe down with a towel afterwards, nothing has died yet in a couple of years.
I guess the bb would be the main worry but it aint as bad as riding in the rain imo.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:30 am

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:40 pm
Can you train at higher elevation at all? What's the highest climbs you can do easily - those would be worth it because you get big benefits from riding at altitude.
Not really. In a way I think our fitness is determined by our topography. I'm pretty solid at everything up to about 10 minutes, reasonable up to 20, and over 20 it's a bit of uncertain territory. This is just because Brisbane is very undulating and creates puncheurs!

Might try and get out and do some of the longer real world climbs I'd need to drive to when it gets a bit cooler. Kid is getting a bit older so not necessarily stuck at home on the weekends.

Having said that I had a look at my Cootha Back times over the past three years. There's a distinct drop off every December through March which I assume is temperature related. Averaging around 8:15 for December this year, was 8:25 in 2022, 8:35 in 2021 and 9:00 December 2020. So I'm still actually getting faster! Maybe just being more on the pointy end to start of with made it more noticeable.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:56 pm

I have a towel over top tube, a shaped towel over the bars, a towel on the floor, and seat post, bottom bracket , head set smeared with vasolene so sweat doesn't run in

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:16 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:09 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:52 am

Foo
It fairly pours out. Don't really want oil and solvent all over my bike. It is in shared work accom too so would be fuming out the place probably.
You can get clip on covers I think.
https://www.rockbros.com.au/products/ro ... tape-strap
I just wipe down with a towel afterwards, nothing has died yet in a couple of years.
I guess the bb would be the main worry but it aint as bad as riding in the rain imo.

WD40 won't hurt the bike and you just wipe it over it. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:09 am

Right. I officially have no idea what's going on.

Hit record peak power (996W) and 15 second (884W) on a segment today, so I think I've accidentally made myself some sort of sprinter. Not a good one, mind you, but much more sprinty than I used to be.

Annoying I still didn't get the segment. I blame the headwind!

A guy I work with is a decent amateur racer. He informs me that it's possible to become moderately good at something you were bad at, at the expense of simultaneously becoming moderately good at something you were great at.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:38 pm

Sprinting if you want more power focus on drills at low speed, big gear acceleration. Do those on an outdoor velodrome where you can do them without interruptions and lap after lap.

You don’t need a fixed gear bike (but it’s better) - just be in a big gear and try to spin it out.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:12 pm

"Mr Purple" wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:30 am
Might try and get out and do some of the longer real world climbs I'd need to drive to when it gets a bit cooler. Kid is getting a bit older so not necessarily stuck at home on the weekends.
Have you tried the climbs around Springbrook? The full climb to ‘best of all lookout’ is about 1000m over 28km..
I’ve been meaning to take my bike down to tie in with a work trip.. just can’t seem to maintain any consistency with injuries/illness. I tried Mt Glorious last weekend and had to turn around at Jolly’s lookout :(