eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

ldrcycles

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm

Cycling Wombat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:16 am
Maybe thread needs to be renamed to prices on the decline, good time to buy
Yep things have changed pretty drastically in the last 15 years. The top end stuff is still holding onto decent money but everything else has fallen off a cliff. The world is your oyster for $300-500. One thing I've noticed in the last 12 months is a bunch of REALLY old stuff, say pre WW2, going for a fraction of what it would ten years ago. Case in point-

feelthewheel wrote: Possibly 1910's to 1920's racer in QLD, looks untouched and only $150:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cabarla ... 1320416583

If my bike shed hadn't been destroyed in a storm on Boxing Day I'd have already pounced on this (I might still anyway and just try to find somewhere to hide it from Mrs LDR :lol: )
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:22 pm

LG wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:12 pm
A Reynolds 531 Raleigh competition https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/claremo ... 1320420813
Why you telling us LG? Your shed full?

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:24 pm

His shed was destroyed :(

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:26 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm

If my bike shed hadn't been destroyed in a storm on Boxing Day..
How are your bikes? How’s that nice Richardson?
Spose I should be asking is everyone ok but as we are talking bikes..

LG

Postby LG » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:26 pm

Imwit wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:22 pm
LG wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:12 pm
A Reynolds 531 Raleigh competition https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/claremo ... 1320420813
Why you telling us LG? Your shed full?
It is certainly tempting... I've spent a bit of money on frame building gear over the last year though and been concentrating on that to some extent (when I get time).

Sorry to hear about your shed ldrcycles
LG = Low Gear

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:51 pm

Anyone got an opinion on this Cecil Walker with nice French gear?
When is it from?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/13203661 ... source=sms

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:44 am

Imwit wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:51 pm
Anyone got an opinion on this Cecil Walker with nice French gear?
When is it from?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/13203661 ... source=sms
IMHO I don't think it's a Cecil Walker. Those diamond cutouts on the lugs remind me of another builder (can't remember who). I'd say it's a mid-1980's to early-1990's build.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:37 am

feelthewheel wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:44 am
IMHO I don't think it's a Cecil Walker.
I was going to say the same thing, but it does appear that there is a CW cartouche on the seat stay caps.

The diamond cutouts in the lugs were used by a number of builders, not much help with identification.

Pictures don't give much away, but I'm probably a bit earlier with my date estimate, I'd say early 80's. A clear picture of the dropouts would be helpful in this regard.

The fork doesn't appear to be original.

It's listed as a 51 - looks a bit bigger than that. $500 seems a bit high seeing as it's a bit of mish mash of parts and the dents, etc, but if it's what you're looking for...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:59 pm

Imwit wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:26 pm
ldrcycles wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm

If my bike shed hadn't been destroyed in a storm on Boxing Day..
How are your bikes? How’s that nice Richardson?
Spose I should be asking is everyone ok but as we are talking bikes..

Amazingly the bikes are all ok, and the shelves didn't even move (and yes the people are alright too :lol: ) I'm still to go through the parts and tools to clean and sort it all.

https://imgur.com/mxXl8Cl

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:53 pm

^ guess you'll be getting a bigger shed now?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:33 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:37 am
The fork doesn't appear to be original.
It's listed as a 51 - looks a bit bigger than that. $500 seems a bit high seeing as it's a bit of mish mash of parts and the dents, etc, but if it's what you're looking for...
Gotta agree about the fork but 'mish-mash of parts'? Back in that time period no-one rode a complete groupset except sponsored riders or folk with money and pretensions.
Huret made good gears but not much else, Stronglight made great chainsets and Weinmann made excellent brakes, so you fitted what you thought was best (and could afford) and suited what you used your bike for. Campag gears and brakes for example were basically totally unsuited (being polite) for touring but the racing folk drooled over their kit.

Richard
PS no idea if the asking price is realistic tho :P

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:13 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:33 pm
Back in that time period no-one rode a complete groupset except sponsored riders or folk with money and pretensions.
Fair enough, guess I was just looking at it from a potential buyer's perspective.

The drilled Huret Jubilee was introduced in 1981 according to Disraeli Gears and was rebranded Sachs-Huret in 1985, so that's probably a reasonable window to date the frame.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:37 pm

Reynolds 531 frame. Some assembly required: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy ... 1320703084

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:04 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:13 am
WyvernRH wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:33 pm
Back in that time period no-one rode a complete groupset except sponsored riders or folk with money and pretensions.
Fair enough, guess I was just looking at it from a potential buyer's perspective.

The drilled Huret Jubilee was introduced in 1981 according to Disraeli Gears and was rebranded Sachs-Huret in 1985, so that's probably a reasonable window to date the frame.
I think I just thought it was an interesting bike but the frame is too small for me and it’s on the other side of the country.

I think I was trying to put 2 and 2 together to make 5…
Daryl Perkins talks about learning from Pogliaghi, who used those lugs in the 70’s. And also that he (Perko) built frames for Cecil Walker when he got home. But he also says he sold his jigs in 1979 and didn’t go back to frame building till the late 80’s.
https://vimeo.com/33463400

So probably not one of his.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:27 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:37 pm
Reynolds 531 frame. Some assembly required: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy ... 1320703084
Get some lugs from Dazza and you're good to go !

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:46 pm

Cycling Wombat wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:53 pm
^ guess you'll be getting a bigger shed now?
Of course! And then it will look too bare and empty so I'll have no option but to get some more bikes :lol:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:13 pm

Geez, the Hillman price index has certainly shot up: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warragu ... 1319758092

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:08 am

P!N20 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:13 pm
Geez, the Hillman price index has certainly shot up: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warragu ... 1319758092
The seller seems to be working on the assumption that it's one they built in-house. I might be talking out of my hat here, but the plate ends, 27 inch wheels and price (on the receipt) make me think that it was more likely to have been brought in. I'm sure they probably would have built many of their higher-end bikes, but this seems to be an unlikely candidate. Either way, he can keep it. :lol:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:13 am

rkelsen wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:08 am
I might be talking out of my hat here, but the plate ends, 27 inch wheels and price (on the receipt) make me think that it was more likely to have been brought in.

Agreed.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:20 pm

rkelsen wrote:
The seller seems to be working on the assumption that it's one they built in-house. I might be talking out of my hat here, but the plate ends, 27 inch wheels and price (on the receipt) make me think that it was more likely to have been brought in. I'm sure they probably would have built many of their higher-end bikes, but this seems to be an unlikely candidate. Either way, he can keep it. :lol:
I have to agree that the price is ridiculous but... folk on this forum have a real down on 'plate' dropouts. Invoice says 1981 - in the UK plate dropouts were still being used on quality bikes. Maybe not the top end stuff but definitely on bikes at the mid/lower end of the custom built or good small manufacturer range -or even on request. Not wanting to run down the Antipodes but I doubt it was any different here. Also, 27" wheels were still in common use at that time.
I've really got no idea if this is a house built or a bought in (from another small builder possibly?) but given the invoice I reckon it was built to request. Tho 'custom' could be interpreted as 'built up from parts' on request I suppose.

I think you have to be careful judging the frame build standards of what is now 40 odd years ago by modern expectations.

Richard

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:00 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:20 pm
rkelsen wrote:
I have to agree that the price is ridiculous but... folk on this forum have a real down on 'plate' dropouts. Invoice says 1981 - in the UK plate dropouts were still being used on quality bikes. Maybe not the top end stuff but definitely on bikes at the mid/lower end of the custom built or good small manufacturer range -or even on request. Not wanting to run down the Antipodes but I doubt it was any different here. Also, 27" wheels were still in common use at that time.
I've really got no idea if this is a house built or a bought in (from another small builder possibly?) but given the invoice I reckon it was built to request. Tho 'custom' could be interpreted as 'built up from parts' on request I suppose.

I think you have to be careful judging the frame build standards of what is now 40 odd years ago by modern expectations.

Richard

I almost overlooked my 1986 Dawes Shadow because of the plate dropouts when I found it at the local tip, I'm glad I didn't as it's Reynolds 501 tubing and rides very nicely.

That Hillman is hysterically overpriced though, in the real world maybe $400. If that's $2,800 then the contents of my old hay shed are enough to retire on :lol:

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:07 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:00 am
WyvernRH wrote:
rkelsen wrote:

Richard

I almost overlooked my 1986 Dawes Shadow because of the plate dropouts when I found it at the local tip, I'm glad I didn't as it's Reynolds 501 tubing and rides very nicely.

That Hillman is hysterically overpriced though, in the real world maybe $400. If that's $2,800 then the contents of my old hay shed are enough to retire on :lol:
Hillman were making to measure throughout the 40s - some time in the 90s when steel fell totally out of favour (except for the cognoscenti like Tim, of course). Initially subcontracting to folk like George McDonald, and from about 1980 onwards in-house by his pupil Gordon Hill.
But from some point they were also selling imported Japanese frames under their own name as the, err, "more affordable" option. Not sure when this started, but my strong impression from Gordon is that they were selling more imports than own builds by the early 80s. Nothing wrong with them, but they're not like the locally built article.
From time to time they were also direct importers of parts from both Europe and Japan. Reynolds, Campy, SunTour; don't know what else or quite when. And in putting bikes together they weren't necessarily fussy about components: if it fit and did the job it was a candidate - never mind matching brands.
Unfortunately, with Gordon's death my chances of learning more are v limited.
I would be surprised if Gordon made this frame. The receipt indicates a number that's not prefaced by "H". Now that could just be a clerical thing, but if it were built in-house it would have that preface. And it would be in the book that's among Gordon's effects. As to which I can't help at present.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:09 pm

Probably/possibly a Leisure Cycles (Ricardo) frame from Adelaide, supplied as a clean-skin to Hillmans. That is a nice old survivor bike, but $200.00 on a good day.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
I have to agree that the price is ridiculous but... folk on this forum have a real down on 'plate' dropouts.
I'm sure you're right... but my experience is not as extensive as yours, so yeah, plate ends receive an instant, "no," from me. Especially so if the bike they're attached to has a kick stand.

It's the old logical statement: Not all plate ends are on crap bikes, but all crap bikes have plate ends. :lol:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:07 pm

Not sure if legit Hillman frame, but looks decent: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswi ... 1321002927