The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Mr Purple

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:56 pm

It's me. You can hear me saying 'bike back' and 'bike right' repeatedly throughout the course of that video. It made no difference.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:32 pm

uart wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:17 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:28 am
Well, it's clearly a charity run so I do have some sympathy.
Which charity is it Mr Purple. Is that the "charity to raise money for people injured by walking into cyclists" that they're walking for? 8)
It’s an annual event in Bris Vegas.
I think it started years ago as a fundraiser to help support victims of Breast Cancer.

This year (judging by the pictures) perhaps it has a more general theme - says walk for International Women’s Day or something like that.
But then the sub-heading is “supporting women with Breast Cancer”

Major sponsors appear to be Diagnostic Imaging and Health Care Organisations.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:48 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:56 pm
It's me. You can hear me saying 'bike back' and 'bike right' repeatedly throughout the course of that video. It made no difference.
I think that instance the "bike back" etc gets lost in the noise of conversations. A bell would more liekly ring through and be unambiguous. That is, a bell is only "bike here" and takes very little translating in the brain co.oared to first hearing then deciphering what you have called.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:55 pm

bychosis wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:48 pm

I think that instance the "bike back" etc gets lost in the noise of conversations. A bell would more liekly ring through and be unambiguous. That is, a bell is only "bike here" and takes very little translating in the brain co.oared to first hearing then deciphering what you have called.
I second that. I have tried calling and most peds - especially ones who are talking to friends - ignore me. Presumably they think a random yell is someone who is being cared for in the community and best ignored...

But very seldom do I get ignored when I ring a decent bell.

(can happen. the other day a young lady in the middle of the path paid no notice until I was right next to her and yelled "OI!" in her headphoned ear. She did say sorry. I do a lot of bike path miles and such are really really rare)

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:02 pm

zebee wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:55 pm
(can happen. the other day a young lady in the middle of the path paid no notice until I was right next to her and yelled "OI!" in her headphoned ear. She did say sorry. I do a lot of bike path miles and such are really really rare)
Ironically enough my previous bell (normal Knog Oi) has done that thing where the ringer doesn't really ring anymore, so I just ordered the 'Luxe' version.

Appropriately I've got an 'Oi!' coming.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:29 pm

I doubt KNOG's tiny tinker bells will have much affect on paths with people, pedallers, pushers and punks in headphones. These environments do need something that cuts through with clout.

Have a look at Arundel's brass jobs with a gonnnnnng so resonating that if people do not hear this — deaf, headphoned, stoned or just plain stupid and wandering left, right and centre along shared paths, then roll out the next instalment of the Darwin Awards..

https://cecilwalker.com.au/a/bike-bells ... bell/54259

(I have the bigger, louder Jezabell on my MTB; it has never once failed to move the masses, though a few people here and there have spun around and given me the evil eye, some again even uttering the unutterable C- and F-words... :lol:
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:40 pm

I have an airzound in a box if you want one. Alternatively, avoid southbank and the goodwill bridge

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:43 pm

Four letter expletives are the usual reactions to bells that I used to see years ago.

Otherwise you could always have the air-zound for those difficult people. :roll:

An electronic version with this sound would be useful sometimes:
https://youtu.be/Yl_Ory2GAR4?si=hR35mwN39Ni-0EnH&t=89

They are damn loud in real life. :shock:

I'd love to use it with those pedestrians glued to their damn phones walking right down the middle line.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:43 pm
Four letter expletives are the usual reactions to bells that I used to see years ago.

Otherwise you could always have the air-zound for those difficult people. :roll:

An electronic version with this sound would be useful sometimes:
https://youtu.be/Yl_Ory2GAR4?si=hR35mwN39Ni-0EnH&t=89

They are damn loud in real life. :shock:

I'd love to use it with those pedestrians glued to their damn phones walking right down the middle line.
I sponsored this Kickstarter project some years ago ( https://loudbicycle.com ) and was happy when it finished and I finally got the horn. Its volume and frequency are just like an actual car horn. The only problem is it had 2 major drawbacks - (a) it weighed 800g, and (b) its mount was badly designed and rattled a lot whenever I rode over the slightest bump.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:15 am

jasonc wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:40 pm
I have an airzound in a box if you want one. Alternatively, avoid southbank and the goodwill bridge
The Goodwill bridge is generally absolutely fine. In fact apart from the two times I've run into this exact same charity 'run' a year apart I've never had an issue there.

Southbank, yes - diabolical. Never been through there after experiencing it as a pedestrian.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:51 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:02 pm
zebee wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:55 pm
Ironically enough my previous bell (normal Knog Oi) has done that thing where the ringer doesn't really ring anymore, so I just ordered the 'Luxe' version.

Appropriately I've got an 'Oi!' coming.
I needed a new bell last year when my OEM Giant bell broke, and after doing some research settled for a Crane E-ne brass (not alloy) bell). It has a nice melodious ring that lasts a bit longer and is louder than the Giant. The proper sprung loaded ringer is also very easy to use.

https://www.abbotsfordcycles.com.au/pro ... e-ne-bell/

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:12 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:15 am
jasonc wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:40 pm
The Goodwill bridge is generally absolutely fine. In fact apart from the two times I've run into this exact same charity 'run' a year apart I've never had an issue there.

Southbank, yes - diabolical. Never been through there after experiencing it as a pedestrian.
Yeah I’ve never had any issues on the Goodwill Bridge. It’s actually quite a magnificent piece of Bicycling infrastructure, and even manages to look like a million dollars- from any angle !

(Actually it cost the Qld Government 25 million dollars in the year 2001, which is heaps less expensive than any similar bridge built since then)

But yeah, Southbank is not a pleasant experience on a bicycle - most of the time.

I had a prang there once decades ago.
Riding along quite slowly because there were lots of people about.
All of a sudden a little kid wearing just a nappy launched himself from the sidelines straight across my path.
The front (rim) brake caused the back of the bike to rear up in the air. I went down not up.
Then the bike came down on top of me.
The kid didn’t even notice my acrobatics.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:26 pm

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:30 pm

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:11 pm

jasonc wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:30 pm
No idea, but almost looks like what would happen if a dog or a kangaroo ran / jumped out in front of a freewheeling rider who attempted to swerve around it.

Except there clearly was no dog or kangaroo.

Interestingly, as I used to live near Mt Coottha, I have cycled it dozens of times.
Driven a car over it dozens of times.
Walked over it quite a few times.
I have never seen any Kangaroos on or beside the road.
But I have seen Kangaroos on the walking track once.
And also seen DEER on a walking track once !!!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:42 pm

jasonc wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:26 pm
This seems appropriate
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:42 pm
jasonc wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:26 pm
This seems appropriate
Poor Kermit. I'm sure you realise I'm pointing out the two visually impaired runners (why else would they running on a bike only lane)

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 pm

jasonc wrote:
I have no idea how he managed that.

Sort of scary that he somehow made it down the 2.2km of 9% descent without crashing before then.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:00 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 pm
jasonc wrote:
I have no idea how he managed that.

Sort of scary that he somehow made it down the 2.2km of 9% descent without crashing before then.
He's come from Toowong. He was turning right into Simpsons Rd, poorly

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:44 pm

Maybe a deflating tyre? Seen one guy go down once like that with a very slow leak in a front tyre.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:51 pm

A pedestrian stepped off the curb today into my path on one of the separated on-street bike lanes in the city this afternoon. I managed to yell and went around him, but it was pretty close. I was riding my front loader Ecargo bike with a system weight of 130kg, I can guarantee he would have been far worse off than me if we did collide.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:07 pm

jasonc wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:46 pm
Poor Kermit. I'm sure you realise I'm pointing out the two visually impaired runners (why else would they running on a bike only lane)
& here was I thinking they were muppets riding imaginary bikes
Anything you can do, I can do slower

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:57 pm

jasonc wrote:
Looks to me like he started to take the right hand turn, realised he'd done so too soon and was turning into the oncoming lane, then either over corrected or got object fixation on the keep left sign?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:20 am

find_bruce wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:07 pm

& here was I thinking they were muppets riding imaginary bikes
:D
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:12 am

nezumi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:57 pm
jasonc wrote:
Looks to me like he started to take the right hand turn, realised he'd done so too soon and was turning into the oncoming lane, then either over corrected or got object fixation on the keep left sign?

He appears to have (over-) corrected his line of travel upon hearing the approach of the blue ute, and in doing so likely hit a patch of scoria on the road, leading to a fall? The way he quickly got up and out of the way suggests his was aware of the ute coming as he turned.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]