Spotted a special - Post it in here!

ningnangnong

Re: Spotted a special - Post it in here!

Postby ningnangnong » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:33 pm

jasonc wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:29 pm

Use Code: EARLYPRESENT for 25% Off Storewide

Offer ends 15/12/2023

Legend! Ta mate.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:22 am

today's deal
https://cycliq.com/7-days-of-christmas-day-4/

purchase 2 fly6, save 30%

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:10 am

Cycliq 25% off sitewide again - auto applies to your cart.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:19 am

ningnangnong wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:10 am
Cycliq 25% off sitewide again - auto applies to your cart.
came to post the same

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:06 pm

A question for the Cyclic users.

Have they sorted out the issues with the Fly6 ?

I remember when I was looking for cameras back in 2021 (after my accident) I looked at Cyclic, and apart from being pretty dear, they had shocking reviews. I think nearly 50% of all Fly6 reviews (at that time) were 1 star, and the customer service appeared to be appalling with one customer reporting that when he reported a failed unit within the warranty period he was offered a "generous" 10% discount on a replacement - Say What :shock:

I have been using a Mobius Maxi on the rear for over 2 years now (used 6 days per week for about 50 minutes per day) and it is still working OK, in spite of the GoPro style mounting arm (plastic) failing and it hitting the road at about 25km/h. It is getting a bit tired though (and has a chunk out of the lens where it hit the bitumen) so I was thinking about a replacement. The main downside of the Mobius Maxi is that it isn't at all weatherproof, so if I do get caught in a rain shower, I have to stop and take it off and put in a ziplock bag (although that is very rare).

I don't really need a rear light because I have a Giant TL-200 which is great and the 200 lumens is nice for daytime use. So buying a Fly6 would be predominantly for the camera, not the rather weak 30 lumen light. Even with the 25% discount it is more than twice the price of a new Mobius Maxi, so not cheap.

I do remember some posts about a ToooCycling rear light & camera but really haven't seen much else about it (since the initial postings here in Aug'22) and it is around $240 so not much cheaper than the Fly6. There is also very limited info on the website's product information page - it doesn't even say how many lumens the light is (as far as I can see - not sure if the DVR80 model number implies 80 lumens ?).

And Pushys sells a MagicShine SeeMee DV30 for $180 but I don't know anything about that (except that the light is pretty useless for daytime use).

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:04 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:06 pm

I remember when I was looking for cameras back in 2021 (after my accident) I looked at Cyclic, and apart from being pretty dear, they had shocking reviews. I think nearly 50% of all Fly6 reviews (at that time) were 1 star, and the customer service appeared to be appalling with one customer reporting that when he reported a failed unit within the warranty period he was offered a "generous" 10% discount on a replacement - Say What :shock:

I have been using a Mobius Maxi on the rear for over 2 years now (used 6 days per week for about 50 minutes per day) and it is still working OK, in spite of the GoPro style mounting arm (plastic) failing and it hitting the road at about 25km/h. It is getting a bit tired though (and has a chunk out of the lens where it hit the bitumen) so I was thinking about a replacement. The main downside of the Mobius Maxi is that it isn't at all weatherproof, so if I do get caught in a rain shower, I have to stop and take it off and put in a ziplock bag (although that is very rare).

I don't really need a rear light because I have a Giant TL-200 which is great and the 200 lumens is nice for daytime use. So buying a Fly6 would be predominantly for the camera, not the rather weak 30 lumen light. Even with the 25% discount it is more than twice the price of a new Mobius Maxi, so not cheap.

I do remember some posts about a ToooCycling rear light & camera but really haven't seen much else about it (since the initial postings here in Aug'22) and it is around $240 so not much cheaper than the Fly6. There is also very limited info on the website's product information page - it doesn't even say how many lumens the light is (as far as I can see - not sure if the DVR80 model number implies 80 lumens ?).

And Pushys sells a MagicShine SeeMee DV30 for $180 but I don't know anything about that (except that the light is pretty useless for daytime use).
Nope. They work ok, but only have average battery life and one ride in the rain and they are toast.

The gamin varia rct715 is expensive but they just work. If you were running a radar anyway you'll get back some seatpost. I think mine is a year old now and seems to be working as good as ever. How hard can it be? That was all anyone wanted from cycliq was a durable unit that lasted a few years. Why garmin seems to be able to do waterproof .. I dunno. But they do.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:33 pm

deleted
Last edited by jasonc on Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:34 pm

Andy01 wrote:

Agree with Comedian. The fly6 units just don't last. i lost count at how many were replaced under warranty or I had to replace. This was across multiple generations. From what I understand, even the cover you can purchase doesn't help.
the Garmin Varia RCT715 just works. and it's water proof. just buy a screen protector from aliexpress and you're all good

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:38 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:04 pm
Andy01 wrote:

Nope. They work ok, but only have average battery life and one ride in the rain and they are toast.

The gamin varia rct715 is expensive but they just work. If you were running a radar anyway you'll get back some seatpost. I think mine is a year old now and seems to be working as good as ever. How hard can it be? That was all anyone wanted from cycliq was a durable unit that lasted a few years. Why garmin seems to be able to do waterproof .. I dunno. But they do.
Thanks.

I think that Garmin and many (most) others (Wahoo, Bryton, Hammerhead Karoo, GoPro, DJI Osmo Action, Apple, Samsung, Magene, most light manufacturers and many others) manage very well to keep their cameras, GPS units, smart watches, sensors and lights water-tight. My Osmo Action is waterproof to about 11m and it has a removable battery, not a sealed in integrated battery - if they can do it with cable port, memory card port AND removable battery, it really shouldn't be hard to achieve with a basically sealed unit (that isn't designed or needed to be fully submersible).

Why would I spend even $262 (after 25%) on a Fly 6 if it is likely to fail after a wet ride. Sounds like my Mobius Maxi would perform just about as well - except it doesn't profess to be waterproof, and is a fraction of the price.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:45 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:34 pm
Andy01 wrote:

Agree with Comedian. The fly6 units just don't last. i lost count at how many were replaced under warranty or I had to replace. This was across multiple generations. From what I understand, even the cover you can purchase doesn't help.
the Garmin Varia RCT715 just works. and it's water proof. just buy a screen protector from aliexpress and you're all good
Thanks Jason. It seems strange that the company seems to be incapable of producing something that actually works reliably - even after several years and multiple attempts/iterations - really odd. Perhaps they don't give a damn because people keep buying them because their isn't much competition, and because they barely last the warranty period, people keep buying new ones :roll:

Thing is I really don't need a radar unit and already have a perfectly good light, and can't justify spending $600 to get a 3-in-1 unit that has a radar I don't need, a light I don't need - just to get a waterproof camera. I would be better off spending that money on a Osmo Action 3 (overkill) for around $400, or even a GoPro Hero Black 10, 11 or 12 (all under $600) - all overkill with 4K or 5K video and submersible.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:18 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:45 pm
Thing is I really don't need a radar unit and already have a perfectly good light, and can't justify spending $600 to get a 3-in-1 unit that has a radar I don't need, a light I don't need - just to get a waterproof camera. I would be better off spending that money on a Osmo Action 3 (overkill) for around $400, or even a GoPro Hero Black 10, 11 or 12 (all under $600) - all overkill with 4K or 5K video and submersible.
the front unit (fly12) is decent. no water ingress issues

and once you ride with a radar it's very difficult to go back

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:40 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:18 pm
Andy01 wrote:

Good feedback on the fly12 thanks.
I rate the radar as far more important than the camera.
It warns you of approaching danger, a camera will not.
I won't go back to riding without one simple as that.
Have also had a mirror (Italian road bike mirror). I rate the radar as much better. Easier to view on the head unit, shows how many are coming and gives an audible alert too.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:56 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:18 pm
Andy01 wrote:

I am quite happy with the Osmo Action I use upfront - it works very well, and captures (I would guess) a far better well-stabilised 4K image than any 1080P camera is likely to. For my (mostly) shorter rides the shorter battery life isn't a problem, and if on a longer ride, I just carry a couple of (tiny) spare batteries. Certainly not as compact or "elegant" as a Fly 12, but it does the job (well). I have used it to submit footage (and still screen grabs) to both police and the local school and it has been perfectly acceptable for displaying faces & number plates.

If I rode more on the road, I would imagine that a radar unit would be very useful, but my regular ride (I ride mostly for daily exercise) is around the suburbs and probably only 2km per day on roads where I have any regular traffic, so it is hard to justify a radar for that.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:34 pm

My Fly6 hasn't died yet commuting in the rain, but it's in one of those full silicone covers that you need to remove in order to access the charging port. That might mke a big difference.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:49 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:34 pm
My Fly6 hasn't died yet commuting in the rain, but it's in one of those full silicone covers that you need to remove in order to access the charging port. That might mke a big difference.
I think Comedian had a silicon cover on his last one. Didn't help

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:00 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:49 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:34 pm
I think Comedian had a silicon cover on his last one. Didn't help
Correct. The silicone cover didn't help me. :(

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:49 pm

Noticed Bikebug have the Shimano SH-XC902 S-Phyre MTB Shoes marked down to $249.99 which seems like a good price for a top of the range shoe.

https://www.bikebug.com/shimano-sh-xc90 ... shoes.html

Also available on their eBay store where you may be able to use a voucher/code if you have eBay Plus

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275617987831

Grabbed myself some... bit of an upgrade from my XC3 pair!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:43 am

ningnangnong wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:49 pm
Noticed Bikebug have the Shimano SH-XC902 S-Phyre MTB Shoes marked down to $249.99 which seems like a good price for a top of the range shoe.

Also available on their eBay store where you may be able to use a voucher/code if you have eBay Plus

That's a bargain for sure. Luckily for them, the 46 Wide are sold out and I also just got my Lake 238X in the mail last week. So my feet are currently sorted :D

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:48 am

ningnangnong wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:49 pm

Thanks! Perfect timing for me, since I've been looking for a new pair of SPD compatible shoes for road bike use and I have eBay Plus so that took $20 off the price as well

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:59 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:43 am
That's a bargain for sure. Luckily for them, the 46 Wide are sold out and I also just got my Lake 238X in the mail last week. So my feet are currently sorted :D

Haha, I think I nabbed the last 46 wide last night. :wink:

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:29 pm

I picked up a pair of Specialized Ares shoes for $399 down from $600 with an extra 10% off for joining the mailing list (ended up paying around $360). According to T%C the 10% was only for non sale items, but it worked for me. Got the shoes pretty quickly and they are super comfortable and light.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:23 am

ningnangnong wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:59 am
MichaelB wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:43 am

Haha, I think I nabbed the last 46 wide last night. :wink:
I actually found the RX shoes fitted better than the XC ones.