2015 Giro d'Italia

Overall winner - Can anyone beat Contador ?

Poll ended at Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 am

Fabio Aru (Astana Pro Team)
10%
Damiano Caruso (BMC)
No votes
Alberto Contador (Tinkoff Saxo)
14%
Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin)
5%
Leopold Konig (Team Sky)
No votes
Roman Kreuziger (Tinkoff-Saxo)
5%
Richie Porte (Team Sky)
67%
Domenico Pozzovivo (AG2R La Mondiale)
No votes
Rigoberto Uran (Etixx - Quick-Step)
No votes
Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Lotto Soudal)
No votes
Ilnur Zakarin (Team Katusha)
No votes

Total votes: 21
Joel Bohorquez

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Thu May 28, 2015 12:42 am

RonK wrote:Just watched last nights stage on Fox. Rather unsporting of Katusha and Astana to attack when Contador had a mechanical, but perhaps shows their desperation. He made them pay with an epic solo ride from 1 minute behind Aru at the foot of the Mortirolo to nearly 3 minutes ahead at the final. It's probably a good thing Porte has quit and saved himself the embarrassment that Aru has suffered.
Maybe Katusha and Astana remembered what Contador did to Andy Schleck in the Tour in 2010 when Andy had a mechanical wearing the Yellow Jersey and AC attacked.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 28, 2015 7:42 am

RonK wrote: It's probably a good thing Porte has quit and saved himself the embarrassment that Aru has suffered.
Your negativity knows no bounds. How was Aru embarrassed ? Why should anyone who ever had a go and lost feel embarrassed ? Your posts are telling.
FPR Ragamuffin

RonK

2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Thu May 28, 2015 8:23 am

Chuck wrote:
RonK wrote: It's probably a good thing Porte has quit and saved himself the embarrassment that Aru has suffered.
Your negativity knows no bounds. How was Aru embarrassed ? Why should anyone who ever had a go and lost feel embarrassed ? Your posts are telling.
Landa admitted after the stage that Astana and Katusha "collaborated" to attack when Contador punctured.
So Aru (and his domestiques) had a minute lead at the foot of the Mortirolo, but were caught by Contador (riding solo) well before the top.
Then Contador's counterattack took almost three more minutes from Aru. And he was dropped by his domestique as well. Yes - seriously embarrassing for a grand tour pretender.
When Contador caught Astana on the Mortirolo, Aru wouldn't even look at him, acknowledge him. The moment was priceless.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:12 am

Chuck wrote:
+1
There is no shame in being dropped by the best current grand tour gc rider. I'm sure Aru is disappointed. Embarrassed? I seiously doubt it.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 28, 2015 11:53 am

RonK wrote: Landa admitted after the stage that Astana and Katusha "collaborated" to attack when Contador punctured.
So Aru (and his domestiques) had a minute lead at the foot of the Mortirolo, but were caught by Contador (riding solo) well before the top.
Then Contador's counterattack took almost three more minutes from Aru. And he was dropped by his domestique as well. Yes - seriously embarrassing for a grand tour pretender.
When Contador caught Astana on the Mortirolo, Aru wouldn't even look at him, acknowledge him. The moment was priceless.
You seem in awe of Contador and are critical of Astana for attacking the leaders jersey when he suffered a mechanical. Conveniently you ignore the post by Joel Bohorquez :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

RonK

2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Thu May 28, 2015 12:32 pm

Chuck wrote:
RonK wrote: Landa admitted after the stage that Astana and Katusha "collaborated" to attack when Contador punctured.
You seem in awe of Contador and are critical of Astana for attacking the leaders jersey when he suffered a mechanical. Conveniently you ignore the post by Joel Bohorquez :lol:
Not at all - the rights and wrongs of the attack are immaterial to me. But I'm pretty sure Aru knows and understands them. And I'm pretty sure he expected that Contador would be annoyed by it.
Aru tried to get an advantage and was smashed. Four men against one, on the toughest climb of the Giro so far couldn't even get halfway up before they were caught.
After watching Contador taunting Aru repeatedly on the way up the Madonna di Campiglio on the previous stage, Aru's embarrassment was pretty obvious. Even the Fox commentators remarked about Aru not wanting to look at him. No doubt he didn't want another serving of humble pie from Contador.
Contador on the Mortirolo was a ride of biblical proportions
Last edited by RonK on Thu May 28, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

skull

Postby skull » Thu May 28, 2015 1:08 pm

No different to when Bertie attacked schlek when he dropped his chain all those years ago.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 28, 2015 1:15 pm

You're actually gushing :shock:
FPR Ragamuffin

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 28, 2015 1:19 pm

The way Aru is getting smashed in the high mountains has me pondering whether Henderson was wrong about him. :lol:

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu May 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Aru is still relatively young. His day will come.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu May 28, 2015 2:43 pm

Aru will still smash most of us on that climb, so his effort was nothing short of admirable in my eyes. But Berty was the master showing the apprentice how its done. I was glued to the tv with my gob wide open when I saw what Berty was able to achieve by the end of it.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Thu May 28, 2015 2:49 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Aru will still smash most of us on that climb, so his effort was nothing short of admirable in my eyes. But Berty was the master showing the apprentice how its done. I was glued to the tv with my gob wide open when I saw what Berty was able to achieve by the end of it.
+1

fraser87

Postby fraser87 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Aru will still smash most of us on that climb, so his effort was nothing short of admirable in my eyes. But Berty was the master showing the apprentice how its done. I was glued to the tv with my gob wide open when I saw what Berty was able to achieve by the end of it.
Most?

Wouldn't even the pro sprinters beat most of up the climbs?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu May 28, 2015 4:20 pm

fraser87 wrote:
Most?

Most?

Wouldn't even the ex-pro sprinters beat most of us up the cimbs?

fraser87

Postby fraser87 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:23 pm

thecaptn wrote:
fraser87 wrote:
Most?

Most?

Wouldn't even the ex-pro sprinters beat most of us up the cimbs?
Haha i was going to say all, but who knows who is on this forum!!

It would be cool to be a pro sprinter and go to an amateur level hilly race and finally get some glory on the slopes!

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu May 28, 2015 4:41 pm

fraser87 wrote: Haha i was going to say all, but who knows who is on this forum!!
Yeah RonK is actually Alberto Contador.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 28, 2015 5:48 pm

RonK wrote:Just watched last nights stage on Fox. Rather unsporting of Katusha and Astana to attack when Contador had a mechanical
RonK wrote: Not at all - the rights and wrongs of the attack are immaterial to me.
If "the rights and wrongs of the attack are immaterial to me" then why did you call out Katusha and Astana as unsporting ?
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 28, 2015 6:23 pm

biker jk wrote:The way Aru is getting smashed in the high mountains has me pondering whether Henderson was wrong about him. :lol:
I have to admit to being surprised, I thought that you would have cast doubts on AC's performance by now and not be having a dip at Porte and Aru :P
FPR Ragamuffin

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Chuck wrote:
biker jk wrote:The way Aru is getting smashed in the high mountains has me pondering whether Henderson was wrong about him. :lol:
I have to admit to being surprised, I thought that you would have cast doubts on AC's performance by now and not be having a dip at Porte and Aru :P
It all depends on your interpretation of "performance". The most suspicious "performance" to-date is Landa. If only Astana had chosen him as their GC guy. Might have given the convicted doper a run for his money.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Chuck wrote:
I have to admit to being surprised, I thought that you would have cast doubts on AC's performance by now and not be having a dip at Porte and Aru [emoji14]
You've done it again!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 28, 2015 8:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I have to admit to being surprised, I thought that you would have cast doubts on AC's performance by now and not be having a dip at Porte and Aru [emoji14]
You've done it again!
:)
FPR Ragamuffin

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 28, 2015 8:17 pm

You two need to get a room. :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:33 pm

You need to get off the drugs [emoji14]

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 28, 2015 8:39 pm

biker jk wrote:You two need to get a room. :lol:
:lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

RonK

2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Thu May 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Chuck wrote:
RonK wrote:Just watched last nights stage on Fox. Rather unsporting of Katusha and Astana to attack when Contador had a mechanical
RonK wrote: Not at all - the rights and wrongs of the attack are immaterial to me.
If "the rights and wrongs of the attack are immaterial to me" then why did you call out Katusha and Astana as unsporting ?
In his post race euphoria, Landa let slip that they knew Contador had a puncture and that they attacked deliberately.

“We saw that Contador had a problem and Katusha rode the group full gas and we collaborated with them."

That was clearly unsporting and deserved to be called out.

The rights and wrongs - your attempt to justify it by reference to Contador's equally unsporting attack on Schleck are immaterial to me and don't make it any less unsporting.
Last edited by RonK on Fri May 29, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.