Smart trainers and software

foo on patrol

Re: Smart trainers and software

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:47 pm
What are your shifters foo?

Ultegra Triple Flight Deck but I don't know what series as I can't spot a number on them. :?: It would therefore indicate that the 3rd shift on the front one has been locked out I'm guessing. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:46 pm

vbplease wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:31 pm
As Warthog said just take a 10sp cassette off a wheel you already have, and use the spacer that comes in the box.

Of course this will be a problem when you want to ride your bike outdoors, you won’t want to move the cassette around every time.

You may be able to swap the 11sp cassette for a 10sp on fb marketplace?
The cassette which came with my JetBlack trainer was a no name cassette, so that may be an issue, or not.. since it’s unused.

I'll keep the original one for the time being and I've put a 10sd on now. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:12 pm

Flight deck is 9 speed. Agree a mtb 9 speed rear derailleur should work

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:57 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:12 pm
Flight deck is 9 speed. Agree a mtb 9 speed rear derailleur should work

Well, it has been changing my 10sp for the last 8yrs. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:37 pm

By the way, don't feel that Zwift is the only option - you can also get Rolla for free:

https://www.rolla.app/

It's not fully finished but is free.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:23 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:37 pm
By the way, don't feel that Zwift is the only option - you can also get Rolla for free:

Interesting. I wonder if I can put that on my appletv box? Is it good?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:23 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if I can put that on my appletv box? Is it good?
Mac OS, PC and also on Google Play store at the moment:

https://www.rolla.app/world

It has beautiful worlds in it, they look stunning, but the bikes look crap compared to Zwift and the animation of the avatars isn't very good at the moment. But it's a very early beta and totally free. If you have the right hardware to run it, it's well worth trying.

One thing I dislike is that you control if via the phone app which pairs with the Rolla World (on your computer).

What it also does nicely is the dynamics, how the hills feel and the speed seems realistic.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:42 pm

g-boaf wrote:

Thanks, this is something that I'd been wondering about, if there are other thingies out there and especially free versions. :D

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:47 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:42 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Thanks, this is something that I'd been wondering about, if there are other thingies out there and especially free versions. :D

Foo
Warning, you'll need to be tech-savvy to make that one work.

Zwift is kind of the default but has its own annoyances, not least its annoying pace dynamics and the numerous bugs.

Give Fulgaz a go because it has a lot more varied routes than Zwift. And especially lots of those lovely hills marked as "HC". :D

Those are pretty realistic to the real ones, a lot of them I've ridden in real life a number of times and can vouch for their realism.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:18 pm

I've just signed up for it but it took a bit. :shock: Tried to on my Tablel but ran into a wall but tried again on my phone and got there, with all of the details that they wanted. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:19 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:47 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Foo

Zwift is kind of the default but has its own annoyances, not least its annoying pace dynamics and the numerous bugs.

Give Fulgaz a go because it has a lot more varied routes than Zwift. And especially lots of those lovely hills marked as "HC". :D

Those are pretty realistic to the real ones, a lot of them I've ridden in real life a number of times and can vouch for their realism.

Are you talking about Rolla? :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:23 pm

Oh and it is set up but I need to fine tune the gears on it because it is very noisy like it isn't lining up properly. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:13 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:19 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:47 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

Are you talking about Rolla? :?:

Foo
Fulgaz is probably a better bet than Rolla if you are starting out. Yes Fulgaz is paid but it just works a lot easier and is mostly bug free.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:16 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:23 pm
Oh and it is set up but I need to fine tune the gears on it because it is very noisy like it isn't lining up properly. :?

Foo
Check if any spacers are needed with the cassette. And yes, they are quite noisy regardless.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:17 am

There's no noise from the unit, it's all drive train noise.

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:26 am

That’s what I meant, it’s hard to get those trainers with cassette and chain to be quiet, at least compared to a kickr bike (which is what I have).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:50 am

Discovered why the drive train was so noisy, the bottom bracket is a bit loose and the bearings are rough. :shock: 8-9years for this set of bearings and that was all on the coast so I can't complain, yes I can, it means that I need to try and pull it to pieces and replace them. :(

So I have now put my Race bike the Scott Foil on it and the noise is considerably quieter. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:28 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 pm

It has beautiful worlds in it, they look stunning, but the bikes look crap compared to Zwift and the animation of the avatars isn't very good at the moment. But it's a very early beta and totally free. If you have the right hardware to run it, it's well worth trying.

One thing I dislike is that you control if via the phone app which pairs with the Rolla World (on your computer).

What it also does nicely is the dynamics, how the hills feel and the speed seems realistic.
Beautiful, thanks :D
Got it on the appletv box and the rolla one app on my android phone.
Will give it a go next days on.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:34 am

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:26 am
That’s what I meant, it’s hard to get those trainers with cassette and chain to be quiet, at least compared to a kickr bike (which is what I have).
Mine is surprisingly good on the kickr core.
The fan is far noisier.
I put zwift on with the volume down and use my phone with the companion app sitting where the garmin normally would in front of the bars.
Play music from the phone and no trouble hearing it at all.
Just using drip wax on the chain. Will take it back home in a week and hotmelt wax the chain.
I am very happy with the relative silence. I am sure the kickr bike is better 8) but I have plenty of spare bikes :oops: and don't have 4-5k to spend on one. Looking at spending it on a cannondale supersix instead :roll: :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:34 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:28 am
g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 pm

Beautiful, thanks :D
Got it on the appletv box and the rolla one app on my android phone.
Will give it a go next days on.
Oh, so there is an Apple TV version - didn't realise.

I believe on low powered devices it actually streams the view over the web rather than having local 3D graphics.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:37 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:34 pm

Oh, so there is an Apple TV version - didn't realise.

I believe on low powered devices it actually streams the view over the web rather than having local 3D graphics.
I'll let you know how it goes. I am an IT numpty so prob another reason, apple tv is good for me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:50 pm

I did the full Col de le Bonette in Fulgaz today.

23.7km and 1570m+. It is just as nasty as the real thing (I’ve done it IRL).

And the final loop at the top (after the shortcut hairpin) is cruel.

Tired now!

TrainingPeaks reckons 30min power at 231w amd that feels about right, definitely a bit tired.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:29 am

Good to see a few people enjoying Fulgaz! It's not as 'polished' as Zwift but on the positive side every update tends to make it a bit better, rather than a bit worse as with Zwift.

The developers and user base are all experienced cyclists - I met a couple at the Tour de Brisbane on the weekend. They actually take feedback into consideration, which is excellent. The thing I enjoy about it most is that they're actually real rides, and they're uploaded faster than you can ride them so you literally never have to do the same ride twice.

I've got a few rides going up there soon - 'Cootha Back' is mine, I just tested my own Gravatt so that should be up shortly and there's a 'Cootha Front' and 'Brookfield Three Fingers' to go up soon. Will probably buy a decent GoPro at some stage and get some gravel rides up there as well if I can sort out the mount situation.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 am

I am thinking about having a look. I wont be paying 2 subscriptions though, so its one or the other.

Edit; just had a look at the pricing. $179 for a year is pretty good. Will have a look on holidays :)

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:29 am
Good to see a few people enjoying Fulgaz! It's not as 'polished' as Zwift but on the positive side every update tends to make it a bit better, rather than a bit worse as with Zwift.

The developers and user base are all experienced cyclists - I met a couple at the Tour de Brisbane on the weekend. They actually take feedback into consideration, which is excellent. The thing I enjoy about it most is that they're actually real rides, and they're uploaded faster than you can ride them so you literally never have to do the same ride twice.

I've got a few rides going up there soon - 'Cootha Back' is mine, I just tested my own Gravatt so that should be up shortly and there's a 'Cootha Front' and 'Brookfield Three Fingers' to go up soon. Will probably buy a decent GoPro at some stage and get some gravel rides up there as well if I can sort out the mount situation.
How does virtual Gravatt feel compared to the real thing?