Tubeless roadbike tyres

kilroy

Re: Tubeless roadbike tyres

Postby kilroy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:38 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:46 pm
kilroy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 am
I've just had an issue with 32mm Gravel Kings on a Bontrager Aeolus 37 Pro rim. 60ml of Orange sealant in each one. Tyres both seemed to seat using a Lezyne Pressure Over Drive pump. Both held air to about 60 psi, but any more and air seemed to escape from the tyre wall. I went for a ride to try to work the sealant around but no change. Both still holding air but cannot go above about 60psi. Any pointers?
Is it leaking from the bead or from the actual sidewall of the tyre? If it's the first it's just probably not seated on the bead properly, so I'd fix that.

If it's from the sidewall it's just some air leaks from the tyre itself and the sealant will fix it. I'd ride them at 60PSI for a week or so and see how they go (60 PSI on a 32mm tyre is a pretty reasonable pressure unless you're super heavy).

Also is it just air or actual sealant coming out?
I’ve had no sealant leak out. They are hooked rims with sealed rim beds so I put it down to them not being seated properly. I gave them another bit of air today and they both seem to be holding 70+ psi. I was going to change the valve cores, but probably no need. Will wait and see what happens with them. I’m off the bike for the next week (Doc’s orders). Ideally, I’d like to take another spin to see how they hold up.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:53 pm

That's pretty normal then.

I often lose 10-20PSI overnight for the first week, and then they settle.

I assume it's just little gaps that need to be filled with sealant.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:58 pm

When I have seated a new tyre and added latex fluid I tip the wheel on its' side and slowly rotate to coat both sides of the tyre with sealant.
Have used gravel king slick, ss and sk. Have not had the pressure drop. Have just needed a high flow compressor to seat them.

60 psi is quite a bit of pressure in such a large tyre too.
I have a 28f and 32r on my admittedly wide WR50s (25mm int).
55 psi at each end is very firm, almost too much at my weight 76-78kg
Dogs are the best people :wink:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:57 pm

First tubeless fail this morning. I pumped it up as it was soft, 30 metres down the road it did a latex jet and wouldn't seal. I guess all of the carbon strands were used up. I pulled it off this afternoon and cleaned the rim up and put a new tyre on. Latex everywhere again and a HUGE effort with the compressor to get it to seat sans-valve.

The leak was from a cut that will need to be patched. The whole inside of the tyre is like a latex balloon which didn't stick to the rim tape! No sealant left, it's all in a puddle just down the road from my house. :oops:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:39 pm

I think regardless of how expensive and fancy a sealant you use (Silca I suspect given the carbon!) I doubt it's going to ever seal a decent sized cut.

These things happen, which is why you need to carry a tube and the usual puncture repair stuff and jus thope you never need it.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:57 pm

Yeah tube and plugs here. Have used both.
I have found my puncture rate on road vastly reduced though.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:29 am

am i right to think that - I can fix a small puncture via plugs or darts or bacon strips, without removing the tyre from the wheel.

but if it is wide or long enough, and requires an internal patch/boot, then that will be impossible to do mid-ride?
once you break the tubeless tyre-wheel seal, it's impossible to re-seat and recreate a tubeless seal when outside.
the only emergency option is a tube?

just thinking out loud.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:56 am

caneye wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:29 am
am i right to think that - I can fix a small puncture via plugs or darts or bacon strips, without removing the tyre from the wheel.

but if it is wide or long enough, and requires an internal patch/boot, then that will be impossible to do mid-ride?
once you break the tubeless tyre-wheel seal, it's impossible to re-seat and recreate a tubeless seal when outside.
the only emergency option is a tube?

just thinking out loud.
Yes, essentially.

There is a small enough hole that you can plug without removing the tyre. If you remove the tyre you will need to reseat the tyre, and although not impossible it is very difficult on the road (you may be able to use a CO2 cannister but will need to replace the sealant afterwards).

With that in mind the thought process that comes with a tubeless puncture on the road should be:
1. Will the sealant fix it? Turn it puncture down, hold some pressure on the outside of it and hope.
2. Will a plug fix it?
3. Will I need to remove the tyre to fix it? In which case you're better off sticking a tube in. Pretty hard to adequately patch something from the inside by the side of the road when it's covered in sealant, and at this stage you're just trying to get home, really.

There are occasions where none of these things will work and I've had it happen to me twice. To be honest it's first because I had terrible plugs, and a terrible pump. On the one occasion I had everything to fix it and still couldn't do it, it was a puncture that also would have needed a ride home if I was running tubes. It was just massive.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:20 pm

Just in case anyone missed it, have some 30mm Vittoria Rubina Pro 2.0 Graphene Tubeless for sale.

Now that I have the ICAN Groadie, the commuter tyres are now different. Hit me up for a bargain, have 4 off BNIB

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:21 pm

Mr P has it sorted I reckon.
A CO2 cartridge may reseat but I wouldn't be relying on it.
I carry bacon strips on the gravelbike with lower pressures also a tube. On the roadie just a tube. Had to use a tube on the road once in >20k km. That was a clogged valve as the cause :oops:

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:47 pm

I'm looking at buying an air compressor to use for seating particularly stubborn tyres - mainly because I'm sick of furiously pumping like a maniac!

As someone with almost zero 'handyman' ability or knowledge, what specs will be sufficient purely to seat tyres? I can't imagine any other uses at this stage haha.

Would this do - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-6l-1- ... t_p0048827 - or do I need something with a higher flow rate?

Edit: Just noticed one reviewer said they bought that model to seat tubeless tyres and it works fantastically!

BoNeZ

Postby BoNeZ » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:52 pm

ningnangnong wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:47 pm
I'm looking at buying an air compressor to use for seating particularly stubborn tyres - mainly because I'm sick of furiously pumping like a maniac!

As someone with almost zero 'handyman' ability or knowledge, what specs will be sufficient purely to seat tyres? I can't imagine any other uses at this stage haha.

Would this do - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-6l-1- ... t_p0048827 - or do I need something with a higher flow rate?

Edit: Just noticed one reviewer said they bought that model to seat tubeless tyres and it works fantastically!
Bunnings will probably return is if it doesn't work for you.

I brought one of these then returned it for something bigger. It wouldn't inflate the stock Giant Gavia 700x32's that came standard on my Contend AR. My new bigger 40L compressor sits almost unused in the garage but it works well.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:10 pm

Any suggestions on rim tape for road tubeless that is easy to use, durable available locally and light. This is a light wheel set so prefer to keep it light. Before now I have just run the Roval rim tape that came with them 5 years ago without issue but have to replace a spoke so need to re-tape.

Cheers!

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:31 pm

Weightweenies suggest green powder coating tape similar 3M 8992, strong, light and thin. I haven't tried it myself though to verify.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:35 am

Yeah, I found the same thing with that 3M 8992. Anyone know where you can get it locally in Australia?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:39 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:39 pm
I think regardless of how expensive and fancy a sealant you use (Silca I suspect given the carbon!) I doubt it's going to ever seal a decent sized cut.

These things happen, which is why you need to carry a tube and the usual puncture repair stuff and jus thope you never need it.
You're talking to the guy who used to carry a spare tyre in the backpack and once went through five tubes in one wet ride. :lol: I had the advantage in this case of just walking back to the house and taking one of my other bikes. Latex for the win on that one... but latex doesn't like even the smallest cuts and will just pop. About 10 years back I tried Hutchinson's first tubeless attempt - didn't work with the MTB sealants of the day and ended up being more trouble than it was worth. The Silca ultimate is pretty good - but the carbon strands were mainly in two balls of hardened latex attached to a serial number strip on the inside of the tyre. That could be a real show-stopper for the Tufo tyres.

Anyway - I tried to setup the original Giant Gavia tubeless on a Velocity A23 last weekend. Didn't work - I set it up years ago with two layers of generic yellow tape and tubeless wouldn't bead up, even at 100psi on the belt-drive compressor. Velocity warns that you need thin tape, but I'd say the clearances are too tight. I'd had issues in the past where I couldn't get the tyre back on the bead after a roadside repair.. I might just stick with latex tubes for other bikes.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:00 pm

Had an email from BikeBug this morning offering Vittoria Corsa PRO Gold Limited Edition 700x28c TLR Twin Pack for a cool $469.99
They still have stock .... I wonder why
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:44 am

grt046 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:00 pm
Had an email from BikeBug this morning offering Vittoria Corsa PRO Gold Limited Edition 700x28c TLR Twin Pack for a cool $469.99

:shock: There will be gooses that only do coffee shop rides that will buy them. :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:08 am

Vittoria introduces the limited-edition Corsa PRO Gold adorned with golden sidewalls. It comes in numbered double-packs, featuring two Corsa PRO tubeless-ready tyres with gold sidewalls and with a serial number written by hand on the inner side of the tyres. Only 2,023 packs are available globally: a true collector’s item for any road cycling lover.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:28 am

am50em wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:08 am
Vittoria introduces the limited-edition Corsa PRO Gold adorned with golden sidewalls. It comes in numbered double-packs, featuring two Corsa PRO tubeless-ready tyres with gold sidewalls and with a serial number written by hand on the inner side of the tyres. Only 2,023 packs are available globally: a true collector’s item for any road cycling lover.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:00 pm

grt046 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:00 pm
I reckon with the mileage I'm likely to get out of the 'pro' versions that'd cost me 30c per kilometre.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:12 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:35 am
Yeah, I found the same thing with that 3M 8992. Anyone know where you can get it locally in Australia?
In case anyone is looking, I ended up ordering some from RS components for $35 for a roll that should last forever (66m).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:30 pm

I have some of that tape.
Seems to be largely advocated by "tobinhatesyou".
Pretty thin and not as stiff as tape that is designed for the purpose it seemed to me.
Not impressed on my wheels and ordered some from the wheel manufacturer.
Possibly my fumble fingered application had something to do with it, but the purpose designed stuff went on ok.

These are handy for tubeless tyre use. Inevitably the valve core seems to clog over time.
Whip it out and replace it solves that.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12625576976 ... media=COPY

grt046

Postby grt046 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:15 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:30 pm

These are handy for tubeless tyre use. Inevitably the valve core seems to clog over time.

Thanks .... I have ordered some
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:45 pm

grt046 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:15 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:30 pm

Thanks .... I have ordered some

I got some reserve fillmore valves on another set of wheels.
https://www.bikeperfect.com/features/be ... ves-around
Not cheap.

Wont bother again. The replacement valves on ordinary goers seems a better idea.